SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-12, 06:49 PM   #3316
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

Thank you very much for continuous improvement of the sh3 code.
Now, this could up-value not only the medic qualification but "Wound Badge" too, previously unusable in practice.
If I had my way, you would have about five new years holiday.

Greetings.
Olamagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 03:00 AM   #3317
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
It's JSGME ready !

No. They're intended to confuse you...

They're of course essential for the functionality of this mod...

I think it doesn't affect Stiebler's addon.
Give it a try. If it won't work with Stiebler's addon disable it via JSGME...
Many thx SSB!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 04-23-12, 12:37 PM   #3318
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Hi h.sie,

This mod is absolutely wonderful, and your "Best of SubSim" award was well deserved.

I was wondering if you could answer a question about whether or not the programming would allow you to be able to do something specific.

For the Torpedo Failure Fix, I understand that when a torpedo registers as a dud, it goes immediately to max depth. Is there any possibility that you could set it such that when a torpedo registers as a dud that it could randomly increase the torpedo depth by 2-4 meters?

As an even further step, is it possible to have the torpedo register as a "dud", and then have a certain percentage of those torpedoes go to max depth and then the remaining percentage of torpedoes increase depth by 2-4 meters, i.e. still remain live, but just traveling at a lower depth?

I am just wondering if this is possible to do to more accurately represent the conclusions from the Torpedo Crisis where the Torpedo Directorate was finding torpedoes running at lower depths?

Thanx in advance.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 03:40 PM   #3319
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

If Hsie ever comes back to modding that is Rudewarrior. I agree with you and think its better to still have a chance of hitting another sub.

Would also love to see the compressed air worked over By Hsie.Seems that SH3 was headed for a more realistic simulation of compressed air but decided to just simplify it.The code might be there and just needs to be enabled again.

What I mean is that the difficulty menu it says "compressed air is needed to change depth without using your engines and to blow ballast in emergency situations". There is also two sound files for adding and removing ballast.

Been looking into compressed air for 2 weeks now.Things I found are that it seems that one blow ballast was all you would get (anyone know if I am right/wrong)and saved for emergencies.Normal surface was a percentage of the ballast tank blown out by the 600pound system and when on surface the low pressure blower would use outside air to finish off the blowing out of ballast.This low pressure pump is modeled as you see the sub is not very buoyant upon initial surface and the low pressure blower quickly finishes the job.Been looking for two weeks trying to find out how long the low pressure blower would actually need to finish off blowing the ballast and FINALLY found today its 10 to 15 minutes.The pump was never used for more than 20 minutes as it was air cooled.Would love to see it take 10 minutes to finish for realism.

Compressed air was also used to fire torpedoes and blow out the now water filled tubes.Would be kool to see small decreases etc.

And finally would love to see conning tower floodable and a modeled safety tank you could blow since you can't repair it submerged.Seems the negative tank is modeled since you get much faster dive speed when crash diving compared to normal dive.Reason to normal dive is you save the compressed air that would be used to blow out the negative and bow ballast tanks.

Wishful thinking! EDIT oh and a realistic flooding over time in damage screen when silent running.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 10:43 AM   #3320
Olamagato
Torpedoman

I tested the last few patrols with an extremely large extension of time to repair equipment (val1 = 300.0). Ship after hitting two bombs had almost all the devices can either damaged or not working. Hull strength dropped by half, but the ship managed to always be saved (seabed repairs on), and all devices possible to fix repaired about 2.5-3 days by my veteran crew (6 x repair). It turned out that the actual repair time may be much lower than the expected amount of time repair. This is because some equipment is repaired at the same time simultaneously, as well as the equipment is repaired where there is no damage control team (by the crew in compartments).

@rudewarrior
Your idea to instead exclude the possibility of a defective torpedo hits (-25m) to reduce the chance of hitting (-2..-4 m) is imo wrong. This is because h.sie made available the ability to determine the probability of defective torpedoes (hsie.ini). Faulty torpedo can never hit the target but you suggest that a defective torpedo hit may succeed. In addition, to quantify the chance to hit becomes impossible. Then one makes a second draw.

Perhaps better would be set to 0 m, to take effect the original game detonation mechanism of defective torpedoes because exactly what has happened with defective torpedoes - floated on the surface or shallow. And then exploded.

@Wolfstriked
German torpedoes were pushed out of the tube by means of the piston. It was driven by compressed air, but from a different circuit than the one used to fill the ballast tanks. The air is returned back into circulation (it was not removed from the ship).
Old 04-24-12, 11:11 AM   #3321
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
@rudewarrior
Your idea to instead exclude the possibility of a defective torpedo hits (-25m) to reduce the chance of hitting (-2..-4 m) is imo wrong. .
Quote:
It was also found that the essential problem with the impact-pistol torpedo Mark G7e was that its depth-keeping gear ran off base, causing the torpedo to run 6 feet deeper than set depth and simply pass beneath its target. Thus, writes Dönitz, "we found ourselves equipped with a torpedo that refused to function in northern waters either with contact or with magnetic pistols."
Source.

I'm not saying that his model is wrong, but what I am saying is that his model for correctly simulating the torpedo crisis is incomplete. The torpedo directorate was finding that the torpedoes were running too deep by ~2-4 meters. The orders given to u-boats reflected this, by telling the Kaleuns to set certain depths on their torpedoes to adjust for this depth issue. I am not suggesting he replace his model, but his model is designed to simulate ALL torpedo malfunctions during the Torpedo Crisis, be it surface runner, running too deep, or be just a plain old dud. The reason I would like to see the ~2-4 meter implementation is that if the torpedo is traveling at a depth increase of 2-4 meters on a deep draft target, it still might still detonate. Unfortunately, for us (and the Kriegsmarine) the only data that is/was out there showed how many malfunctions there were (and even these data points were based on subjective interpretation by Kaleuns) as opposed to what type of malfunction actually occurred. So in reality, a torpedo could be set to 4 meters on a 9 meter draft target, still be malfunctioning such that it travels at 6 meters and still actually detonate. There is no way to say that this happened for sure, but based on the data we have, this is not an unreasonable assumption.

One other fine point, is if you read carefully, I am not suggesting that he replace his model, just set it up so that some of the torpedoes that are "duds" actually only increase depth by ~2-4 m. The remaining portion of the "duds" can actually go ahead and go to max depth to cover the situation of a surface runner and/or a defective pistol.

I am also not suggesting that he actually do this, I am just wondering if the coding even allows it to happen.

Last edited by rudewarrior; 04-24-12 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarification in final paragraph.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 11:39 AM   #3322
TorpLos
A-ganger

Downloads: 35

Seabed repairs is an option in hsie patch? I missed that.

Ah i forgot mention something. On one of my doomed attacks on a convoy in 1943 i was dced to all hell with bascially.all.my communication system, listening systems, and visuals destroyed. when i was on the hydrophone i could not hear anything. (destroyed) but when my hydrophone operator was on i could ask for nearest contact and he could tell me. I know some.of u will say "well dont use it" or "take the operator off station" but the temptation was there!!! Needless to say after 3 hours real time evading and trying my best.. U-332 lost with all hands.
TorpLos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 02:02 PM   #3323
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
I tested the last few patrols with an extremely large extension of time to repair equipment (val1 = 300.0). Ship after hitting two bombs had almost all the devices can either damaged or not working. Hull strength dropped by half, but the ship managed to always be saved (seabed repairs on), and all devices possible to fix repaired about 2.5-3 days by my veteran crew (6 x repair). It turned out that the actual repair time may be much lower than the expected amount of time repair. This is because some equipment is repaired at the same time simultaneously, as well as the equipment is repaired where there is no damage control team (by the crew in compartments).

@rudewarrior
Your idea to instead exclude the possibility of a defective torpedo hits (-25m) to reduce the chance of hitting (-2..-4 m) is imo wrong. This is because h.sie made available the ability to determine the probability of defective torpedoes (hsie.ini). Faulty torpedo can never hit the target but you suggest that a defective torpedo hit may succeed. In addition, to quantify the chance to hit becomes impossible. Then one makes a second draw.

Perhaps better would be set to 0 m, to take effect the original game detonation mechanism of defective torpedoes because exactly what has happened with defective torpedoes - floated on the surface or shallow. And then exploded.

@Wolfstriked
German torpedoes were pushed out of the tube by means of the piston. It was driven by compressed air, but from a different circuit than the one used to fill the ballast tanks. The air is returned back into circulation (it was not removed from the ship).

I am setting repairs to higher values also.Its great to feel danger when limping back to base with 13% hull,both periscopes destroyed and compressor not working.I screamed NOOOO when my watch spotted something since I couldn't risk diving below 20m and I was also running out of compressed air.It was a one of the small DD's and vicious with its side firing DC's.I then spent around 10 minutes circling an iceberg while trying to get the compressor back online.I have my enemies to be much more accurate and so I finally was caught out and they just ripped me to shreds.

Isn't it just one storage tank of CA and they open up lines to feed 600/225 etc pounds to the other systems while trying not to exceed their working pressure?I can see your point about a piston being used so that the compressed air is in a closed system...but I ask,are you sure?Look extrenally at torpedo launch and you see massive air expulsion.

Also,I am taking this idea from reading up on sub compressed air systems that state CA was used up by torpedo launches,maintaining depth with no speed,blowing the various extra tanks.I could be wrong though and I am open minded on this topic.Still would love to know if there was enough CA to blow ballast once.Maybe you needed 2/3 of the CA tank to blow ballast and the first 1/3 colored green was used to do duties as stated above.If you stayed below and say fired more torpedoes....maybe you got to the 1/3 red line and that was enough air to do normal surface routine??
Old 04-24-12, 03:27 PM   #3324
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
I can see your point about a piston being used so that the compressed air is in a closed system...but I ask,are you sure?
Torplos is correct in that a piston was used for submerged firings

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 05:09 PM   #3325
Sittingwolf
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi all,
Quick thought.
Would it be possible to apply a fix for all types of u-boats regarding their test and max depth they can go down to?
From what I noticed none of the present super mods renders that parameters CORECTLY!.

For example and in reality, U-boats type IX could go down to 230m as a test depth and their crash depth was around 250m.

For U-boats type XXI it was between 260 to incredible 300m at the time.

Best,

Sittingwilf
Old 04-24-12, 06:56 PM   #3326
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly View Post
Torplos is correct in that a piston was used for submerged firings
TY BigboywoolyYour right,its cavitation from the torpedo prop that causes the bubbles upon firing...like the rear props do.
Old 04-26-12, 07:19 AM   #3327
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpLos View Post
Seabed repairs is an option in hsie patch? I missed that.
You do not miss anything. I just had enabled the modification of that name to carry out repairs if the damage proved to be too large to keep the ship above the crush depth. So I tested the damages and repairs in the waters where the depth does not exceed 150 m.
Old 04-26-12, 07:22 AM   #3328
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@SittingWolf (& others), sorry, but due to real life issues there is currently no progress in this project. h.sie
Old 04-26-12, 08:49 AM   #3329
Olamagato
Torpedoman

@Wolfstriked
http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/component/o...337/view,items

@Sittingwolf
I can plunge to 260m depth by type VIIC, IX and XXI without any damages (in GWX 3.0). However, below 180m have a very slow descent to avoid damaging strained hull (below 3 kts). IMO SH3 game simulates it well even though the sh3 team wrong maximum operational depth with crush depth.

If you want you can to below 300m but your hull will be damaged.
https://rapidshare.com/files/7888097..._Deep_Dive.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/3565995...Test_Depth.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/2805813...e_Survivor.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/5049217..._Deep_Dive.jpg
https://rapidshare.com/files/2053583...Test_Depth.jpg
Old 04-26-12, 10:23 AM   #3330
TorpLos
A-ganger

Ah yes i found the seabed mod. I run NYGM so unfortunately i cannot run it.

Has anyone had any memorable experience with wolfpacks?? Since the new bdu messages have come out and wolfpacks organize i thought there would be a stream of.stories comimg.from our kaluens. But i havent heard one. Please share,i have no had any yet because i been playing late war and i am never around long enough in a convoy to get a wokfpack organized or even attack the convoy for that matter lol.
TorpLos is offline   Reply With Quote