SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-18, 04:35 PM   #1
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Unable to dock at Brisbane or Pearl Harbor

Following my last career mission I was given a new boat and assigned to Brisbane. I completed the mission objective, to patrol off the Marshall Islands. Then sank 18,000 tons, was low on fuel, and had 2 torpedoes remained fore and aft. On returning to Brisbane the only choice was to refit, which I did. Then went back out on patrol again and sank another 7,000 tons. On returning to Brisbane I could still only refit. This time I motored to Pearl Harbor, thinking maybe I had to return to my original base in order to dock, but still could only refit. This is becoming an endless patrol.

Anybody know how to end this mission and still keep on the career track?
Old 08-30-18, 05:12 PM   #2
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

I recall that happening a while back... IIRC, I saved the game and reloaded it and the correct base showed up on the reload.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 05:16 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

For whatever reason, some of the boats that transfer to Brisbane, get sent to Fremantle the very next time out (crybaby Christie??), so look for the slanted anchor that signifies "Home", and it might be over on the Western Australia side of things, and not Wellington...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 05:39 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
For whatever reason, some of the boats that transfer to Brisbane, get sent to Fremantle the very next time out (crybaby Christie??), so look for the slanted anchor that signifies "Home", and it might be over on the Western Australia side of things, and not Wellington...
That happened to me on one patrol also.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 09:20 AM   #5
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
I've also had the reverse happen, getting transferred to Perth-Fremantle from Surabaya, and in the middle of the next patrol having the home base change to Brisbane. Just a quirk, I'd guess.

Hint: Always check for the location of the tilted anchor before heading back to "base".

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 09:55 AM   #6
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

[QUOTE=hint: Always check for the location of the tilted anchor before heading back to "base".[/QUOTE]

So true! After that patrol, I always check.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 12:05 PM   #7
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Hint: Always check for the location of the tilted anchor before heading back to "base".

AMEN!! Nothing quite like starting back after a very successful patrol and getting halfway to a base that no longer exists without enough diesel to make it to a refit facility...
Found out that CINCPAC sent the "base change" in a radio message I must have missed in the heat of battle...
Old 08-31-18, 01:30 PM   #8
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
... starting back after a very successful patrol and getting halfway to a base that no longer exists without enough diesel to make it to a refit facility... ...
Wel-ell-ellll... So, you admit culpability in endangering your crew's lives, as well as losing a government-issued vessel in perfect working order?... There will be no investigation here - in fact, we don't even need a trial - To the guillotine with him! - er, what? We don't do that in today's Navy?... To the firing squad then! - er what? We don't do that either in today's Navy?... Hang 'em?... wellllll... what ~can~ we do to him then?... Call fireftr18? He'll put 'em to good use?... Consider it done!

Old 08-31-18, 02:49 PM   #9
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Default It Was Fremantle

Many thanks to all for the helpful insights.

Sure enough, the base (the tilted anchor one) was moved from Brisbane to Fremantle, probably while I was taking a nap. But whatever, I was finally able to dock, and the relief from not having to endlessly wander the World's oceans looking for a home made my day. Kevin Costner would be happy for me (Waterworld).

Gotta love this game! It's a continual learning experience and just chock full of little clues, like the tilted anchor, that the developers have been trying to keep secret. And gotta love the Subsim community for digging them all out and passing them along!
Old 09-01-18, 10:41 PM   #10
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Quote:
Wel-ell-ellll... So, you admit culpability in endangering your crew's lives, as well as losing a government-issued vessel in perfect working order?... There will be no investigation here - in fact, we don't even need a trial - To the guillotine with him! - er, what? We don't do that in today's Navy?... To the firing squad then! - er what? We don't do that either in today's Navy?... Hang 'em?... wellllll... what ~can~ we do to him then?... Call fireftr18? He'll put 'em to good use?... Consider it done!

Not so fast, Darth Vader! That is what the SAVE GAME feature is for!! Sadly, I saved the game before sinking two passenger liners...
Old 09-05-18, 07:16 PM   #11
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:

I think cleaning up the Bilge Galley after Wolferz is through fixing Bilge Stew, then cleaning the Bilge head after Wolferz is through using it (After eating Bilge Stew of course).
Old 09-05-18, 07:35 PM   #12
propbeanie