SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-18, 02:28 PM   #1
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
radar Subsim with voice recognition?

Just wondering if anyone has yet developed a Subsim with voice recognition? Oops...There I go, dreaming again.... If not, then it almost has to be secretly in the works by some stealthy, deep-diving and futuristic team of Subsim developers somewhere. Maybe even as a mod for SH4? Maybe? Maybe??

It seems like a good idea to me, but then again I'm new here and this may sound like heresy. Please forgive me. However, it would add additional realism to the game. After all it's what captains did back then; they gave vocal orders and the well-oiled (no pun) crew carried them out; no keys to push, no mouse to mess with, and more time to think, which is the part I like/need the most.

Just thinking of the possibility gives me short fits of giddiness. It would be great: giving helm and motor orders without having to push a key or move a mouse; rigging for silent running, going to periscope depth, crash diving and the like by merely voicing the orders. Woweee! Gosh! Golly!

Anybody have any ideas on this as a real possibility? I'd really like to know.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-18, 02:43 PM   #2
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

there is SH3SPEECH

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 03:00 AM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Enigma: Rising Tide had voice commands, think Sub Command and Dangerous Waters did too.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 03:31 PM   #4
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Command: Aces of the Deep, the Win95 version of Aces of the deep (with the expansion too) had voice commands too. Might have been the first.

Other, not sub sims, games had voice before that, however.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 03:54 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Is this something you're looking for?
sh4speech - voice command for SH4

And a little discussion on it
Voice command for SH4

I've not used it myself, and YMMV, depending upon computer and game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 04:54 PM   #6
Aoogahman
Seaman

Well there we have it! Not only has it been thought of and put into practice, but there's a VR mod for SH4 that works really well on Win 7, which is what I'm running. Perfect! The more I find out about Subsims, the more I feel like a fossil. Where have I been anyway?

I checked out (Googled) SH3 Speech and it seems like it has or had a lot of issues, but some of the Captains got it working ok. And all the other sims mentioned show that the VR idea has been around for quite awhile.

That's it. Question answered. I'm happy to know that a good VR mod exists for SH4 and will definitely want to give it a try, eventually. But, before I do that I've got to continue wearing out my brain trying to master the basics and getting some missions under my belt.

Many thanks for the help!
Old 08-02-18, 05:01 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Some folks call this a disease. My wife? "A waste of time!" But I reply: " Hey, at least I'm not out chasing other women!" Her reply? "Aren't ships female? Besides, you won't hardly chase ~me~!!!"

Have fun with it!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 05:03 PM   #8
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

shSpeech was originally developed by Eric Knepfler specifically for SH4. TomCatTwo (I only know his screen name) then did the conversion for SH3. The package has also been adapted for SH5, but there is a speech recognition capability imbedded in SH5 which is more widely used.

shSpeech is a stand-alone program which runs in background mode with SH3, SH4, or any other game program. It translates voice commands into keystrokes and mouse actions, like button clicks and dial settings. Because the mouse movement is GUI-dependent, some tailoring may be necessary to adjust it to the GUI you prefer. The good news is that it is pretty easy to make whatever changes you want. Out of the box, shSpeech will support ALL SH keystroke commands, so you can do a lot right off the bat. Changes require no programming skill whatsoever, just a very basic knowledge of how to make and modify simple spreadsheets using either Excel or a similar spreadsheet program. The ease and flexibility are what make spSpeech so attractive. You can adapt it to any game that uses keystroke commands, for example. And it is very easy to add your own voice commands.

The kick is when you are at the bridge view of your Gato and say: "Take 'er down." and your crew goes about diving the boat!

"Sparks, put on some music from stateside. Nav, set course for Pearl"

Remember, real skippers didn't push buttons. They gave orders.

http://knepfler.com/shSpeech/
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-18, 10:16 AM   #9
Aoogahman
Seaman

Good info! And much appreciated. I'm putting the shSpeech mod on my list of must-haves. Well...actually it's the only item on the list. I can do Excel spreadsheet changes if needed as long as somebody points out what changes to make.

But still, before I get lured into installing any mods by all the helpful information, I'm sticking with learning the basics. Hell, I just had to crash dive from an enemy plane while heading out to the East China Sea. And I was only 50 miles SW of Midway!!! That was pretty unexpected. I did find an old copy of the U=boat Commander's Manual and have been working through the part about avoiding aircraft - so maybe there's some hope for me yet.

I read somewhere, maybe on a Ubisoft forum, that there is also some training that needs to be done before one can use the VR properly. That makes sense. How can I get a preview of the training?
Old 08-25-18, 01:39 PM   #10
Thrackerzod
Swabbie

Downloads: 141

Oh what I wouldn't give, to have the speech recognition mod from SH5 in 3 and 4...sh4speech ain't bad, but SH5's is on another level.
Thrackerzod is offline   Reply With Quote