SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-17-14, 10:46 PM   #1
cristo
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Loading a save and crew is on the bridge submerged

Several of my save games have reloaded fine, but to my dismay, the crew is posted on the bridge while I am submerged.

I cannot remove them as they are replaced automatically since I am apparently "on the surface."

I suppose I could keep playing but I have always quit since it seemed likely there were other bizarre errors lurking...

Any ideas? I searched the forum but did not find anything useful...
cristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-14, 02:06 AM   #2
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Did you save the game submerged. There are several posts recommending that saving submerged should not be done and could be the cause of the problem. I would carry on and just surface as this might reset the situation. Once you dive again the watch crew will go below as well I would think.
Old 09-18-14, 03:19 AM   #3
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Similar thing happened to me before. Solution was to save on the surface all stop with clear weather, then quit and restart the game.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-14, 04:21 AM   #4
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
Several of my save games have reloaded fine, but to my dismay, the crew is posted on the bridge while I am submerged.

I cannot remove them as they are replaced automatically since I am apparently "on the surface."

I suppose I could keep playing but I have always quit since it seemed likely there were other bizarre errors lurking...

Any ideas? I searched the forum but did not find anything useful...
Cristo this happens to me as well sometimes. I have found that hitting "P" (periscope depth) seems to wake up everybody (computer included) and the crew come off and into quarters immediately.
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-14, 04:31 AM   #5
GJO
Planesman

Downloads: 33

As above, if you have saved a game whilst submerged, just hit P as soon as the game loads to get the crew below - then go to you desired depth.

I have often saved games while submerged with no problems other that this momentary glitch with the watch crew.
GJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 05:21 PM   #6
niwo
A-ganger

Downloads: 158

It's not as bad as ctd when loading a savegame just because you are submerged. A nasty bug. Very disappointing when you save your game after you hit a convoi and sneaking around for hours and it crashes leaving you the only option to lad a previously saved game. Remember always to save as often as possible. I never noticed that the crew can stay on deck in shiii, only in shv its a well known bug
Old 09-19-14, 09:00 PM   #7
niwo
A-ganger

Speaking of it there it goes. 3 saves are crashing. Dam it. :-\
Old 09-20-14, 06:39 AM   #8
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwo View Post
Speaking of it there it goes. 3 saves are crashing. Dam it. :-\
So even though you followed all the guidelines for a successful save (be on the surface, away from ships, at TC 1, etc.) the saves are still getting corrupted?
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 11:01 AM   #9
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

I have usually saved my games while underwater, and loaded them later with no trouble at all. Mostly because I am about to attack, and (if/when) I mess it up, I can hit "alt-F4" to quit, relaunch, and get all my ammunition back.
Only one time recently did I get hit with an underwater load bug.
I was attacking a convoy and was ducking under (way under) some ships. The upper tower had been damaged, but the pressure hull was still tight, so I went to 160M, to avoid the depth charges. Something happened that forced me to quit and reload, and when I did, the minor damage suddenly became fatal. Loading at 160m, with minor damage and within range of a convoy killed my sub. I tried everything, even emergency surface, but to no avail. There simply wasn't enough time to effect any changes before my sub was crushed by pressure.
I have been more aware of my save game locations these days...
Old 09-20-14, 11:20 PM   #10
niwo
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
So even though you followed all the guidelines for a successful save (be on the surface, away from ships, at TC 1, etc.) the saves are still getting corrupted?
Yes. But I have to add that I died on that mission. I tried to reload the last 3 saves, and they ctd. Using lsh3 with sh3commander and some mods. I activated one or two before loading, but deactivating doesn't did it either. Maybe I try to load a save further back.
Old 09-20-14, 11:22 PM   #11
niwo
A-ganger

But meanwhile I patched the sh3.exe with h.sies and the other guys patcher. Don't know if it gets worse then :-D
Old 09-21-14, 12:10 PM   #12
GJO
Planesman

Downloads: 33

I believe the real secret to getting successful game saves is to have a very stable game in the first place. In my experience, this means only ever adding mods before commencing a career and not making any subsequent changes within that career.
GJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 06:06 AM   #13
niwo
A-ganger

But does a simple change of let's say a dds or tga file make the game unstable? And I changed them back with no results. It's hard to start a new career when you spend hours in that old career with 10 patrols
Old 09-23-14, 08:19 AM   #14
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwo View Post
But does a simple change of let's say a dds or tga file make the game unstable? And I changed them back with no results. It's hard to start a new career when you spend hours in that old career with 10 patrols
Quote:
It's hard to start a new career when you spend hours in that old career with 10 patrols
To avoid losing a career > > backup your career...backup...backup...backup...

I learned my lesson. I now backup my career after every "save & exit" event and rename them accordingly to my point in date/time of game. I currently have 8 backups of my "D. Duckstein" patrol 7 career. Renamed example: 8. D. Duckstein 6July42 0127 hr

This will not help fix the buggy thing in your game, but it will help save your career. I have never to this point in time experienced your problem with my game by saving while on the surface or submerged. I feel my game files are stable due to the fact I am using very few mods. I might note that all of my mods are JSGME enabled, and no other files have been edited manually. Of course my system is only a 3 GB, 32 bit system and that alone prevents my mod soup load from being heavy.

-clay
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 08:52 AM   #15
niwo
A-ganger

I do backups of course too, but thanks for the hint anyways. I add the whole saves folder into a zip file. The problem is that all worked fine until my boat was sunk by a warship, the warspite during the weserübung, and lots of other destroyers were present. I was 500 metres or less to the warspite when they sunk me. In sh3commander there was the option to surrender and I clicked on it. Because I was dead/imprisoned I couldn't start via the sh3commander do I started without it. From that point on the last 3 or 4 saves were impossible to load. I will try to load other saves on weekend, maybe I can start the last patrol from the base. Better than throwing my good people away.