Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-05-06, 09:21 AM   #1
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default SB PRO PE missing NEEDS these implemented

FORCE FEEDBACK

From the diesel engines rumbling at idle to the power of that cannon firing a SABOT or HEAT round.

Could this or WILL this ever be implemented into the SIM?

TRACKS

I mean really, where the heck are the tread marks that you would figure a 60 TON tank would leave in the mud or grass? The way it is now seems like the tanks in the sim weigh less than a feather. Perhaps it should be added as an option if too many tread marks on the map would cause game slow down or have them slowly dissappear at the horizon mark or after a 30 to 60 seconds have elasped since they were created to make room for the new ones to be made?

CRATER HOLES

This should include the artillery rounds that are called in from support as well as SABOT and HEAT rounds. There is presently no sense or feeling that a battle had taken place at areas where one did happen.

Old 08-05-06, 09:38 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Tracks and craters - had been discussed repeatedly in the main forum of theirs. Since the military sees no training value in adding these two features, probability that they will be implemented is extremely low. Don't complain, you did not buy a game to please a gamer's eyes! Both features are eye candy only. Force Feedback: implementation even more unlikely.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-05-06 at 09:40 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 10:45 AM   #3
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Not complaining! I just see a tatical advantage of having track marks and craters that stay throughout the battle to help in locating enemy tanks that might have moved into a heavily wooded position in a forest or a town.

Force feedback is an immersive aspect and makes all sims feel REAL. I could not play IL-2 nowadays without it. I've become to used to FEELING my plane in the air to help me in flight. Without Force Feedback technology enabled the sim is almost unplayable for me causing me to crash more often while landing, and I'm not nearly as accurate while firing guns at enemy bandits for some reason.

I could sse how SB Pro PE could benefit from force feedback as an option not only for a more immersive sim experience but also for the fact that tanks are quite unstoppable machines that are able to traverse across some of the most rugged terrain imaginable at the price of being extremely uncomfortable for the crew with lots of vibration and bumps. This sim is a PERFECT canidate for force feedback. Imagine trying to control your turret considering your stablizers are damaged and trying to fire, but at the same time having to endure constant vibration and bumps as you try to manually aim and lead your target. The sim right now is way too easy for gunnery IMHO without more real world obsticles such as (unstable terrain, vibration, bumps, etc) that real world gunners have to make up and compensate for.

Last edited by SubSerpent; 08-05-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 11:26 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

It is highly recommended not trying to fire an unstabilized gun in turret emergency mode without the tank being stationary. If you have tried to hit anything with the GAS, you see that that is already difficult enough from a stationary tank, and having to use the hand crank (quickly hitting the arrow keys) to move the turret. Force Feedback may be immersive for you as a gamer, but for the military it has no value. That's why it is not there, and probably will never be there. Also, I cannot imagine how a rumbling stick should give me the feeling when standing in the turret that I experience a tank moving and making my body get bumping around. In a small plane like IL-" planes you might feel tactile feedback from your stick in the cockpit, but I doubt that a modern MBT compares to that. All those controls in a tank are very sophisticated nowadays, I doubt that the gunner has a tactile feedback in his grabs when firing the gun. For what you talk about you would not need a vibrating stick, but a device that makes your table, your monitor and your chair go hopping! Well, of course one could wish for this feature, and others as well, but keep in mind that it is extremely unlikely that this one ever will get implemented, that way you do not wait in vain and cannot get disappointed. Although they have several artists now involved, there is basically only one programmer. and he needs to take care of the real important fixes and features, and the demands by their military customers that are there real bread and butter - not us hobby tankers. Their resources are extremely limited, time-wise, and thus they need to be extremely picky on what things to spend concentration on, and on what not. even some things I would consider to be important, will not be addressed too soon for that reason. But if you are willing to pay them three additional programmers and two dozen more play testers to squash all problems that derive from implementing even one new variable - then there is a chance that you may get force feedback as a thankyou from them!

Last edited by Skybird; 08-05-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 11:31 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

BTW, just in case you forgot, there are two patches you better should apply, else you sooner or later start screaming at your gunner Also a dongle firmware update. See the sticky on top of the forum.
Old 08-05-06, 12:45 PM   #6
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Everything here is patched up and the dongle is updated. Did all this before I even started playing !

Question: In the mission editor is there a way to change the time of day? I see what looks to be either night time sky textures or seriously overcast with dark clouds in the texture/sky folder. Not sure how to select which sky texture to use. Seems to only default to one.

What resolution do most play at with this sim? I have been using 1280X1024 for gunnery range but I just loaded a map FT BRAGG, and at that same resolution it seems to get a lot less FPS at that resolution. I suppose the map is a lot bigger than the gunnery maps and contains more trees and buildings?
Old 08-05-06, 01:14 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

The weather engine is already implemented, but not activated, that's why many textures do not get used. However, SKY-d1 is used for day in non-Desert and SKY_d7 in desert environment, while Fog and Sandstorm are used for foggy weather in non-desert and sandstorm for "foggy" weather in desert terrain. These foggy textures are used when you switch visibility to below 500m. Knowing these fileneame, you can manually replace them, and acchieve visual effects like to be seen here:

I use some replacements from that package

http://www.steelbeasts.com/modules.p...=getit&lid=940

myself, but not all, many of them are having to high colour saturation.

Resolution: 800, 1024, 1280 are the most used.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-05-06 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-05-06, 10:52 PM   #8
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Cool vids and textures

Thanks