SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-06-08, 07:47 PM   #16
Kamikaze Krazy
Sailor man

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0

Quote:
"I'm testing what happens with the torpedo dropping Kates."
-SurfnSea
Sir? Since when did the Japanese have torpedoes that drop Kates?

Quote:
"I created a single mission to test the torpedo dropping Kates. I put my sub in the middle of an ocean, no land anywhere near. I put in 5 Kates. The Kates attacked my sub. Boy, was my sub nailed! Every torp dropped by the Kates blasted my stationary sub!" -SurfnSea
Sir? Would you please be able to provide this Single Mission by any chance? I would love to play around with those Kates a little bit. Can you please also try to make it JSGME install ready? I would appreciate it a lot. Of course, you could be busy with more important things...

Quote:
"It's starting to look like if you're surfaced and Kates are attacking you (single mission at least) you can pretty much kiss your...behind good-by if you're stationary. If you're underway who knows maybe you'll survive." -SurfnSea
I was playing one of the War Patrol missions called "Lifeguard" and I was too happy with the time compression! A swarm of about four Kates found me and I was moving at a pleasant 21 knots... in a straight line! I tried to turn hard left rudder, but it was almost too late. I dodged all but one of them. A Kate hit me with a torp by the Engine and aft torpedo rooms. The Jap pilot must have been VERY lucky because all my gunners were shooting at him and yet he got through my AA fire undamaged. The torp demolished my diesels, leaving me only with electric engines. Let's just say that I was WAY up crap creek and the guy who just rented me the boat just called time!

Anyway, by what date in the game do the Kates in the Career mode attack you with torps? It is April 4, 1943 and I would be playing my Career and whenever I see a Kate, they don't attack me. Does anyone have a reason why? Also, what are the torpedoes that the U.S. and I.J.N. Torpedo Planes use?

Having passed the enlistment physical, Jon was asked by the doctor, "Why do you want to join the Navy, son?"
"My father said it'd be a good idea, sir."
"Oh? And what does your father do?"
"He's in the Army, sir."
Kamikaze Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 11:50 PM   #17
RED JOHNSON
Watch

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default I believe they were " Long Lance" Torpedoes

I believe that the Torpedoes used By the Imperial Japanese Navy were the " Long Lance " Torpedoes that were used from the beginning of the war. If my memory serves me well then they were 21 inches in Diameter and longer than those used my the U.S. Navy at the time. In the Attack on Pearl Harbor Plywood Fins were attached to them to make them run at a more shallow depth and be able to reach thier set depth quicker.
RED JOHNSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 12:45 PM   #18
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED JOHNSON
I believe that the Torpedoes used By the Imperial Japanese Navy were the " Long Lance " Torpedoes that were used from the beginning of the war. If my memory serves me well then they were 21 inches in Diameter and longer than those used my the U.S. Navy at the time. In the Attack on Pearl Harbor Plywood Fins were attached to them to make them run at a more shallow depth and be able to reach thier set depth quicker.
All the info I have read says the "long lance"(type 93) was only used from ships. The type 91 was used from the planes. And the fins broke off after entry into the water, they were only there to prevent the initial "deep dive" of the torpedo since Pearl was so shallow.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote