SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-12, 09:39 PM   #46
darqen27
Seaman

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
You are mislabelling the ship. It is a known by most as a "ghost" ship. I have seen a video closeup of some of its crew, and they looked like pirate ghosts. Are you saying it does not exist? Or are you quibbling over the semantics of what someone has labelled it. As far as I am concerned it makes no difference. (i.e., in Homer's Iliad, he sometimes refers to chariots as "cars.")
naw. ur right Im just fighting over the details, I referred to it as a "ghost" ship in one of my other posts, because thats what it is, but I dont really like the reference to it as "the flying dutchman"

Sorry

darqen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 11:37 PM   #47
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

the real issue is, in my opinion, the fact that a ghost ship was inserted in the game by ubisoft. Personally, I think it is a great move, and displays imagination with a sense of humor. I had heard about it for years before I appeared in the early morning hours and the coordinate mentioned in my post.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 10:07 AM   #48
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65

IGD, are you suggesting we try to pinpoint the 'fliegende hollander' by the means of posting all sigthings in an specific thread? Like, an objective and scientific quest to unveil the characteristics of "the ubisoft ghost ship"?

Because if you are... I'm game for it. This should be fun. The first thing we should check is if appears randomly on the map, or if it follows a pre-determined route that does not variate.

Has anyone tried to go to barbarinna's indication? Was it there?
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 11:09 AM   #49
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prates View Post
IGD, are you suggesting we try to pinpoint the 'fliegende hollander' by the means of posting all sigthings in an specific thread? Like, an objective and scientific quest to unveil the characteristics of "the ubisoft ghost ship"?

Because if you are... I'm game for it. This should be fun. The first thing we should check is if appears randomly on the map, or if it follows a pre-determined route that does not variate.

Has anyone tried to go to barbarinna's indication? Was it there?
I was not "suggesting." I was commenting.

However (and I do not think the "indication" is the correct word), I think your last sentence is exactly that, a "suggestion," and a very good suggestion at that. Let's pin that sucker down, build a mod to attack it, and kick some a--!. (You got me excited!!!) Bring her about chief (reference Robert Shaw in "Jaws",) head for NE of Luzon, full speed ahead--we going to hunt the "Ghost." (reference the ship the "Ghost" in the movies "Sea Wof," starring Edward G. Robinson.)
Old 04-17-12, 01:20 PM   #50
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darqen27 View Post
naw. ur right Im just fighting over the details, I referred to it as a "ghost" ship in one of my other posts, because thats what it is, but I dont really like the reference to it as "the flying dutchman"

Sorry

You can call it Hazel if you want, but this is what the developers called it:

[Unit 1]
Name=The Flying Dutchman
DOC=19410505
DOD=21001231

As for it not being a "pirate ship', the legend/story began hundreds of years ago, and it was a Dutch sailing ship not a 'pirate ship' in many of the early accounts. In fact in several of the first legends, the "Flying Dutchman' refered to the captain, NOT the ship, the ship was not named.
Of course over the years the ship name became the 'Flying Dutchmen'. But since the early legends have it as a Dutch ship, not a pirate ship, it could look like anything, after all it is only a legend.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 02:38 PM   #51
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65

Quote:
I was not "suggesting." I was commenting.

However (and I do not think the "indication" is the correct word), I think your last sentence is exactly that, a "suggestion," and a very good suggestion at that. Let's pin that sucker down, build a mod to attack it, and kick some a--!. (You got me excited!!!) Bring her about chief (reference Robert Shaw in "Jaws",) head for NE of Luzon, full speed ahead--we going to hunt the "Ghost." (reference the ship the "Ghost" in the movies "Sea Wof," starring Edward G. Robinson.)
Sounds like a plan. Actually, you forgot one movie reference. "My fair lady" would be apropriate to mention. You know...? With you, IGD, on the bridge, correcting the heck out of everybody's linguistical mistakes. Got it? Captn' 'Enry 'Iggins? Eh? Eh?
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 04:45 PM   #52
DaDeathProject
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

I have seen her too. Kinda interesting to watch it if you ask me. It has a aora of beauty to it.
DaDeathProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 05:21 PM   #53
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prates View Post
Sounds like a plan. Actually, you forgot one movie reference. "My fair lady" would be apropriate to mention. You know...? With you, IGD, on the bridge, correcting the heck out of everybody's linguistical mistakes. Got it? Captn' 'Enry 'Iggins? Eh? Eh?
Okay. Fair enough. I won't correct your "linguistal mistakes." I forgot that your are from Brazil, where all those beautiful women live. However, I reserve the right to criticize your movie references. A better one would have been this. See IMDb - Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951.) The Dutchman (James Mason) and his boat show up in some country like France or Greece. The prettiest woman (Ava Gardener) in town falls for him, and they die in a trajedy, foretold in the legend. The reference to My Fair Lady is pretty good though. Audrey Hepburn is a knock out. If you want to see her in a terrific role, for which she won an Oscar I believe, I recommend highly Roman Holiday (1953), which is hilarious. She plays a young princess, just coming into her own, who runs wild in Rome. It co stars Gregory Peck. The ending is a classic.

By the way, if you want some fun, try ATO. It is a very good supermod.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 04-17-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-25-12, 05:08 AM   #54
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 186

Just spotted it off Johnston Island on my way to a patrol near Guam in May of '42. Very cool.

Mods Loaded:TMO 2.2, RSRDC, MaxOptics, Strategic Map Symbols, Stop The Shouting
OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 07:13 PM   #55
ForestWild
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6

http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/fo...20Ghost%20Ship

Stock SH4 1.4, I am encountering this Blue-Green shimmering Ghost Ship January 17, 1942, nearing sundown, it trails red blood in its wake. It is under attack by 3 Japanese ships and 1 plane and firing back. It is following me at my surface flank speed of 18 knots near 21'9"N, 122'21"E, just north of the islands north of Luzon in the Luzon Straits. It has chased and scared my crew pretty badly, and we were running crazy to get away for a long time. Later in the night, out of torpedoes on the way back to base to refit, we barely survived a Japanese attack, but they amazingly depth charged themselves in shallow waters! Go figure . . .

http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/fo...20Ghost%20Ship

Quote:
As I write this, the Barbarinna is in contact of the Dutchman. Date: 06/24/44. North of Luzon. Coordinates: N 21'08", E 121'02"; Time: 0252 hrs. It is heading due east, right at my position; however my deck gun is taking too long to load, so I will probably just be able to wave as it sails by.

Note: First shot with deck gun was short. But I got two more shots off at a range of 2,000 yds with the deck gun. Both passed through the target. It is moving away in a northerly/easterly direction at 23.5 kts.

It is real.
ForestWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 12:05 AM   #56
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Welcome aboard, Forrest!

...and don't be wastin' your tin fish on ghost ships, there's a shortage, you know!

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 01:24 AM   #57
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Welcome to the boat mate.
Those are some great screen shots.
Never seen the Japanese attack the Dutchman before.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 06:49 PM   #58
ZodiakLegion
Seaman

Downloads: 298

That'd be something, a Flying Dutchman mod. Actually submersible, almost indestructible, ghostly, uses cannons... etc
ZodiakLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 08:19 PM   #59
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Old 06-03-15, 08:36 PM   #60
ZodiakLegion
Seaman

Downloads: 298

I knew the thread was old, decided to post anyway. .... unless I'm not suppose to reawaken dead threads...
ZodiakLegion is offline   Reply With Quote