Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-18-12, 06:53 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Mod suggestions for IL-2 1946

I recently purchased IL-2 1946, hearing it was the best flight sim out there currently.I like the stock version mostly but it has some glaring issues, I have been reading up but the community from what I can see is not as organized as the subsim community from what I can tell.I trust the advice of most members on the subsim forums. My main concerns for a mod to address are...

1: The AI, enemy planes are just a bit too super, their crazy climbs are outrageous in addition to they seem to always pick you out and even in a plane that is a superior diver say an F4F against a Zero, they tend to stick with the player and pick them out first.AA guns are a bit too accurate and effective also, I can see sometimes but all the time.

2. sound improvements, the gun sounds, esp for the .50 cal are garbage and an immersion killer.They are also way too ineffective, esp against vulnerable planes such as Zeros, Bettys, Vals, Kates etc.

3. Any mod that concentrates on the PTO mostly as that is where I will spend my time.Maps, flyable planes such as TBF, TBD, SB2C "Helldiver" PBY etc

Those are my main concerns, perhaps though who know the mods out there could point me in the right direction.I am patched up to v10.1.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 05:35 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Google Ultra Pack for IL2 1946
it adds tons of modifications, content and improvements to the main game and is used iirc by most servers too if you feel like playing online, however the AI will still screw you over and no mods thus far I've seen can fix it.

HunterICX
Old 07-24-12, 06:33 AM   #3
TwoGamers
Officer

Downloads: 9

Go into your folder and set the Zeros extectra to a lower health rating, and get creative and download some sounds of the Internet and put them in the sound folder. As for the AI yeah there superior the only way to beat that is to learn how to pull of maneuvers and stuff like that
TwoGamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 06:43 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I find the best way to beat the AI is to learn their patterns. They tend to repeat
the same things over and over again when pushed to a certain situation.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 02:32 PM   #5
flatsixes
Weps

Downloads: 8

Heh. A lot of "veteran" players were surprised when IL-2 version 4.11 upped the capability of the AI more than a just few notches. (Some wise guy even made a video comparing the two versions ). I've heard talk about there being mods available to ratchet back the AI to "human" levels (such as making the little guys susceptible to g-forces and engines over heating) but I'm not one to stray too far from main path when it comes to mods - because I always screw it up.

That said, I've loaded both Ultra Pack and Dark Blue World and they've worked very well for me. I've been particularly pleased with the improved audio/engines sound. Still the best flying sim ever made.
flatsixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 02:37 PM   #6
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

DBW is for single player only, HSFX for multiplayer, Ultrapack- iirc- goes with both but I could be wrong there. Our friend JSGME is great here, you can have all and pick and choose your required bits.