Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 12-04-09, 03:40 PM   #1
jbt308
Torpedoman

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Coming back to the Genre

Howda,

Let's say a person has been away from tank simming for a couple years and wants to come back. Maybe re-live some of the thrills they had playing Panzer Commander or M1-II, etc...

What would be a good place to start? Either modern or WW2?

Old 12-04-09, 10:45 PM   #2
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

Grab the demo for (the now quite old) SB Gold. If you like the presentation, but would like additional options and improved graphics you could consider SB ProPE, but I wouldn't recommend it as a purely 'entertainment' product.

I never got on with TvT or SF when their respective demos were released, but some people consider them to be worth expending considerable effort on making them 'better'.

Pz Elite is still being improved upon, and there are a number of 'tankish' tactical or operational titles:

Combat Mission.
Combat Mission: Shock Force.
Conquest of The Aegean
Command Ops: Battles From the Bulge
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 01:30 AM   #3
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Yup, I recently nailed a copy of Panzer Elite and installed the PE-X Mod and I'm having a blast. I also have TvT and Steel Fury. Currently, I think we are all awaiting ZeeWolf's Kursk add-on for TvT.

I also have the Steel Panzer mod for Steel Fury

I haven't tried SB pro because I can't foot the money for it. I may like tanking but I'm not sure if I want that kinda commitment.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 11:23 PM   #4
jbt308
Torpedoman

Thanks for the responses, I have to agree about the outlay for SB, so I think TvT or Steel Fury will be my choices.

Thanks again
jbt308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 06:12 AM   #5
Mikhayl
Captain

Downloads: 64

Re Tvt and SF, SF is probably the most enjoyable out of the box, despite annoying bugs.
Both games are quite different, and both frustrating. The biggest problem with SF is that the sound attenuation is bugged, you hear the MG 1km away as if it was firing IN your tank, and so on. Other than that, the tanks feel "light", but the missions are furious and replayable, and there's lots of mods to add playable vehicles and more missions.

TvT overall feels more polished, there's no apparent bug, there's much less content than in SF (2 playables and 12 missions) but it works nicely. The biggest problem is that the 12 missions suck big time.
Half of them feel like a glorified Nintendo Duck Hunt: stay still and shoot everything that shows up on screen. The other half feel like Time Crisis: advance to next encounter, shoot, start again. There's hardly any tactics involved, and the worst is that there's not the slightest random element in the missions. Enemies will be at the same place all the time.
Other than that, the tanks feel like tanks, very heavy, the sounds are great, gunnery is very well done and there's some nice effects.

The enemy infantry in TvT is harmless, but since the game is more geared toward long range pure tank battles it's ok. SF simulates combined arms better, in the missions you'll have artillery support, infantry that does something, light vehicles and so on.

IMHO SF is a good game though the bugs are frustrating and disappointing. I really want to like TvT but in its current state the game is an empty shell. If you can get it for less than $15 I guess that's about ok.
Mikhayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 07:53 PM   #6
Txema
中国水兵

Downloads: 365

Mikhayl,

There is a quite effective workaround for the annoying bug that you have mentioned in Steel Fury (the sounds are not attenuated properly if they are happening far away, and you hear some of them as if they were happening just around your tank). Please, try this sound mod. In my opinion it is a good workaroud for that bug:

http://tanksim.org.ru/wfdownloads-si...-15-lid-68.htm

The mod was done to be used on top of Steel Panzer Mod 1.2. Use it with that mod or with the vanilla Steel Fury (patched with the unofficial patch, of course). In any case, the mod can be easily modified to work with Steel Panzers Mod 1.4. To download it use the "Download Mirrors" link:

http://tanksim.org.ru/modules/wfdown...&cid=15&lid=68

It seems that the "Download Now" link does not work...

In this way you will use the original version of the mod done by Tango Romeo. In my opinion the versions done by stymo are not working properly.

Please, report your impressions here when using this mod as a workaround for the bug !!

Let me ask you a question: which are the other bugs that you are experiencing in Steel Fury (apart from the previously mentioned one)?? I have not noticed other important bugs in Steef Fury...

Looking forward to hearing from you !!

Txema
Txema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 08:15 PM   #7
jbt308
Torpedoman

Thanks for the heads up Mikhayl, what you've said is just about the exact impression I got from the research I've been doing. Especially from watching some videos, TvT seemed to literally be a turkey shoot, whereas you seemed to be more 'In the game' with SF.

I've having a bit of a difficult time finding a reliable place to get it from currently. Is there a large mod community? Txema had mentioned a Steel Panzer Mod, is tanksim.com the most common place to find these?

Thanks again all
jbt308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 08:52 PM   #8
Txema
中国水兵

Here you can get the mods available in english:

http://tanksim.org.ru/wfdownloads-viewcat.cid-15.htm

And here the patches:

http://tanksim.org.ru/wfdownloads-viewcat.cid-17.htm

Please, make sure that you install the patch:

Unofficial patch for Steel Fury v0.1 (eng)

and also this patch if your are using a wide screen (16:9 type) resolution:

Fix Widescreen Bug

Txema
Old 12-07-09, 05:32 AM   #9
Mikhayl
Captain

Hi Txema, thanks a lot! I had this mod on my HDD but never tried it until now. It's great, it kind of tones down the sounds even when close but overall the atmosphere is much much better
I exagerated a bit when talking about "other bugs", it's more of a lack of polish. For example the problem with the way the vegetation is rendered, it makes the grass "move" when you advance, not a big deal but it makes the graphism look less sharp than TvT, even thought there's no question that it's much more detailed. But now that I have a decent sound atmosphere I'm much less picky about the rest

Now all this game needs is some western Europe buildings and map and tanks and missions and and and...
Old 12-07-09, 08:01 AM   #10
Txema
中国水兵

Mikhayl,

I am very glad to know that you also find the "Frontline Acustics" mod as a good workaround for the sounds-not-attenuating-properly problem

I am also very glad to see that you have found no other major bugs in Steel Fury. I think it is a really good WWII tank sim that only needs polishing as you say. Probably the "Fall Blau" add-on already developed by Graviteam will provide the polishing necessary... It is really a shame, but although the add-on was finished some months ago they have not found a way to publish it.... I hope it will be published in the near future... I am really looking forward to playing Steel Fury with its Fall Blau add-on !!

Txema
Old 12-07-09, 08:29 AM   #11
Mikhayl
Captain

From what I understood from some posts in the old lighthouse forum, it seems that Fall Blau will never reach the market. Apparently Graviteam sold the rights to a publisher, so even if they have the data and everything, they can't release it. And the publisher never released the add-on, it seems that it wasn't even released in Russia (?).
But Russian modders are doing a good job in creating missions and new units, I can't say I have had time to play everyone of them yet
Graviteam released their Kharkov 1943 wargame in Russia in September, and a while ago they talked about another tank sim, so who knows, the future of Steel Fury might be in development. I hope they'll find a decent publisher