Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-18, 09:12 AM   #16
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ Why, thank you

One more thing to consider. I was more or less an even or level-headed guy back then when i was young. But i remember to have had unforgiving furious moments due to real or imagined perceived degradations. If i had had access to weapons like a gun at that time or in the heat of the moment, i really do not know what would have happened.

When i served in the military, we had our own ways to deal with impertinent superiors. Thank god weapons were not involved.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 02-15-18 at 09:37 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 10:33 AM   #17
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
@Jim 'Prolet' (from proletarian) is a short derogative term for a worker, or a person considered to be poor, or behaving inappropriate. In modern times, it is used to establish a border between you and those you think of as inferior
Ah, okay, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
You hardly upset anyone Catfish. The thread was established to encourage an intelligent and lucid discussion such as the one you are having with us right now.
Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 10:54 AM   #18
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Why, thank you
When i served in the military, we had our own ways to deal with impertinent superiors. Thank god weapons were not involved.
Did it have anything to do with what you wipe your butt with
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 11:01 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
What is 'Prolet' Sky?
A proletarian is a proletarian: usually a member of the worker-class, socially low, often not too well-edcuated, but the term is neutral nad simply means this without any offence meant. See, you can lack education, and still have a clever mind. Communist propaganda praises the proletarians (not the "prolets").

But in German: a "Prolet" is a derogatory term indeed indicating not only low class, but also a scumbag by character, a stupid blokehead no matter how high his edcuation is, a brutal egoist, an anti-social narcissist. Its a very negative characterization to label somebody as a "Prolet". Its in no way meant friendly and nice, or even just "neutral".

"Prolet" and "Proletariar" are and mean two different things.
Old 02-15-18, 11:07 AM   #20
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

^ Danke

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 11:12 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Looking at the reply's here, Catfish makes some good points. Maybe it's time to see how Germany, the U.K and others deal with things to keep their kids safe. It has been reported by the news media that along with fire drills, students now have armed intruder drills as well. It's a sad statement that along with learning algebra and chemistry, students must now learn how to survive in the face of crazed individuals who are armed and invading their school.

My question is why were the entry ways not secure ? There should be one or perhaps two entry points equipped with metal detectors and perhaps armed operators. Doors could also be equipped with remote locking mechanisms and have LEO personnel on speed dial. There is no way an armed individual with known disciplinary problems should have been able to gain access to that school.

In light of what Jim had said about the number of shootings and their prevalence, it's criminal negligence not to have safe guards like these and more in place to protect our kids. Especially considering how often this is happening now.
I think it is also a cultural and mentality thing, a different attitude towards violence and a certain fetishism for firearms in general. Especially Germans and Americans are probably the two most extreme poles on this. The truth I think must be found somewhere between the two.

And no, I do not think I represent the German mainstream attitude towards fiorearms, for German standards my stand on firearms and their private possession already counts far too lenient. For American standards I probably already count as a dictator in the eyes of the NRA at least.
Old 02-15-18, 12:11 PM   #22
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Gun ownership has gone down about 20% in America since 1950. We've enacted numerous federal and state laws regarding guns in the last 20 years, yet shootings and mass shootings have greatly increased, almost have become the norm. Less guns, more laws, yet shootings continue to rise. We didn't have cops or metal detectors in schools in my generation, almost every male owned a gun or had access to one in HS. In fact, doubt if was legal, but during hunting season you'd see gun racks full in trucks in the school parking lot, often we went hunting with coaches and teachers. We were all bullied in some way or stage that we had to learn to cope with. We clearly have a culture societal shift.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 01:35 PM   #23
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Expanding on what Mr. Quatro had said, why are assault weapons needed and sold in the marketplace anyhow?
Well first of all it's the Bill of "Rights", not the Bill of "Needs" so what one person thinks we need is immaterial but the 2nd Amendment does mention "well regulated" which in 18th century parlance meant "proficient".

So let me ask you can you think of a better militia weapon than an AR-15? Is there another weapon that shares the same ammo, aiming system, cleaning kits, spare parts and accessories? Is there another weapon that would be better for familiarizing civilians with our countries basic battle rifle short of actually issuing them a real one like the Swiss?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 04:18 PM   #24
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The Packard car company used to have an advert tagline that touted their products: "Ask the man who owns one". I'm just going to leave these links about the persons who actually "owned" yesterday's tragedy:

‘A gun killed 17 of my classmates — STFU’: Parkland student crushes Tomi Lahren’s latest pro-gun rant --

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/gun...-pro-gun-rant/

Florida school shooting survivors slam Tomi Lahren for anti-gun control tweet --

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fl...rticle/2649203

<O>
Old 02-15-18, 04:22 PM   #25
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

We should be focusing our efforts on finding out why some people feel that killing other people (strangers) is a viable solution to what they perceive to be a problem.

We don't have a gun problem in the US; we have a people choosing to kill people problem in the US. The firearms are an enabler. One does not solve a problem by mitigating an enabler

But, solving people problems is a lot harder than just passing even more gun laws and patting ourselves on the head for "doing something"
Old 02-15-18, 06:04 PM   #26
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
But, solving people problems is a lot harder than just passing even more gun laws and patting ourselves on the head for "doing something"
I thought this article laid out the dilemma quite clearly:

Quote:
What can we do? What should we do?

The answers are not easy, and they inevitably involve a trade-off: accepting the unacceptable, or restricting our freedoms. The three big ones are freedom of the press (publicity gives oxygen to these kinds of acts, so restricting coverage will reduce copycats); the right to bear arms (guns don't cause human evil, but of course they make it easier to carry out); and due process (targeting potential mass shooters, or mentally ill people in general, is possible, but requires us to curtail Americans' civil rights before they have actually committed a crime).

It is by no means clear that any of these solutions would be more effective than the others, and each of them involves punishing a very large number of people in order to stop the evil-doings of a very small number of people.
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...215-story.html
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 06:45 PM   #27
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Every time I hear or read about these things in America I ask myself

When, when will the ordinary American say enough ?

Secondly I know USA have this 2nd amendment, I don't know it in detail.

Would it be seen as altering it, if the government or the President put some restriction into it.

Such as
Every American has the right the bear arms but only up to a certain caliber
and/or
Each American has the right to bear arm but only one per citizens

I'm only a foreigner who's wondering.

It is a domestic problems and it is the Americans and their politicians who have to solve this, not the entire world.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:27 PM   #28
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

It's along the lines of stopping drug abuse and how effective has that been over the last several decades. You can pour millions into it and it still happens.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:41 PM   #29
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Blame the gun or blame the games ... I blame the nuts

Quote:
The marketing of imitation adult products to children in the hope they will blossom into customers of the genuine article is widespread. The video game presents further opportunities for manufacturers to target young people. Toyota and Nissan work with racing game developers to show off their vehicles as pristinely desirable. Nike and Adidas position their logo on virtual boots. Gibson licenses plastic versions of its guitars in the hope players will progress from the coloured buttons of the peripheral to the nickel-wound strings of a Les Paul.

And Barrett, creator of the M82, a shoulder-fired, .50-caliber semi-automatic sniper rifle, hopes that the appearance of its weapon in a video game will, in time, turn young players into gun owners.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-manufacturers
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 09:39 PM   #30
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Not just statistics...

The Names of the Florida School Shooting Victims --

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/u...l-victims.html

...and those left behind..

'President Trump, please do something!' - Grieving mother demands answers after daughter is killed in Florida school shooting --

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/polit...ntv/index.html

<O>