SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-10, 11:49 PM   #811
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Steam

The steam game folder can be moved. Just copy the directory the games are in to another location then change the location in the steam client. You may need to delete content on SH and re-download it not sure.

I have moved my steam games folder to new drives a few times.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 03:33 PM   #812
Liberatus
Seaman

Downloads: 218

Is the problem the invisibility of submarines relates to every night, cloudless and windless weather in night?
Liberatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 05:08 PM   #813
Swabbie
Sailor man

Downloads: 129

I downloaded and installed this mod as per the directions. Started a new campaign, Dec 41, Asiatic Fleet, S-Boat. Going to the crew management screen. I find the control room is manned by all machinist's mates. Is this a bug or just me?
Old 12-19-10, 08:51 PM   #814
Stoli151
Helmsman

Downloads: 333

Liberatus refer to post 793 in this thread. It was my solution to the invisibility issue and it seems to work for me.
Stoli151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 04:21 AM   #815
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabbie View Post
I downloaded and installed this mod as per the directions. Started a new campaign, Dec 41, Asiatic Fleet, S-Boat. Going to the crew management screen. I find the control room is manned by all machinist's mates. Is this a bug or just me?
As intended. Machinist's Mates manned the trim and drain manifold and the "Christmas tree" panel, with its accompanying controls. In addition, one Electrician would be monitoring the circuit boards in the control room (so far as my research shows). Since SH4 does not differentiate between machinist's and electricians, all the default crewmen in the control room will be depicted as machinists.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 06:42 AM   #816
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
As intended. Machinist's Mates manned the trim and drain manifold and the "Christmas tree" panel, with its accompanying controls. In addition, one Electrician would be monitoring the circuit boards in the control room (so far as my research shows). Since SH4 does not differentiate between machinist's and electricians, all the default crewmen in the control room will be depicted as machinists.
-

Harley Cope "Battle Submerged, submarine fighters of wwII"

Last edited by keltos01; 01-13-11 at 07:20 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 03:29 AM   #817
irR4tiOn4L
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

What is the status of the Narwhal in RFB 2.0? For 1.52 I read the Narwhal didnt have a proper damage model (or crew for that matter), and although there is a 'hacked' Narwhal in RFB 2.0, it doesnt have proper crew or slots, has 4 inch instead of 6 inch guns and I dont think it has a proper damage model. Thats without including the Subsim Narwhal contest mod, which loses crew entirely.

I hate to be rude or unappreciative but id like to know if there is a mod or soon to be a mod to make the Narwhal work in RFB 2.0, and whether it has a proper damage model, or how long it will be before its made compatible.

Id like to know because id love to start a campaign with her, but if shes not working right ill start a campaign with a normal ship instead.

Thanks

Last edited by irR4tiOn4L; 01-19-11 at 04:27 AM.
irR4tiOn4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 10:37 AM   #818
JREX53
Frogman

Downloads: 353
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by irR4tiOn4L View Post
What is the status of the Narwhal in TMO 2? For 1.52 I read the Narwhal didnt have a proper damage model (or crew for that matter), and although there is a 'hacked' Narwhal in TMO 2.0, it doesnt have proper crew or slots, has 4 inch instead of 6 inch guns and I dont think it has a proper damage model. Thats without including the Subsim Narwhal contest mod, which loses crew entirely.

I hate to be rude or unappreciative but id like to know if there is a mod or soon to be a mod to make the Narwhal work in TMO 2.0, and whether it has a proper damage model, or how long it will be before its made compatible.

Id like to know because id love to start a campaign with her, but if shes not working right ill start a campaign with a normal ship instead.

Thanks
Why are you posting this in the Real Fleet Boat (RFB) thread if you are talking about TMO????

JREX53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 04:26 AM   #819
irR4tiOn4L
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREX53 View Post
Why are you posting this in the Real Fleet Boat (RFB) thread if you are talking about TMO????
Oh sorry, that was a typo. I meant RFB 2.0.

I am definitely referring to Real Fleet Boat and the included "hacked" Narwhal, as well as the one from the Subsim competition. Both do not seem to work correctly with RFB

EDIT: Lol im quite impressed that i managed to type "TMO" instead of "RFB" no less than three times. Very consistently wrong there!
Old 01-19-11, 01:25 PM   #820
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by irR4tiOn4L View Post
Oh sorry, that was a typo. I meant RFB 2.0.

I am definitely referring to Real Fleet Boat and the included "hacked" Narwhal, as well as the one from the Subsim competition. Both do not seem to work correctly with RFB
the donation narwhal is not patched for RFB nor TMO it is for SH4 V 1.5

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 07:26 AM   #821
irR4tiOn4L
Swabbie

Thanks Keltos, I understand you made the model and I appreciate that its not intended to be run with RFB. I did see mention of a possible mod to make it compatible by another forum member, but that doesnt look like its done.

My main question though is not so much about your model but about the standard Narwhal in RFB 2.0. I understand its only a 'hack' but is it 'ready for service'? When i tried to start a campaign with it the crew was incomplete, it had no slots in the conning tower for the officers from the watch to shift to, and I read in the RFB 2.0 manual (stated as being the 1.52 manual) that the Narwhal did not have a full damage model.

I wanted to ask what the status on those things might be, or if i should just use another boat.
Old 01-20-11, 01:35 PM   #822
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
the donation narwhal is not patched for RFB nor TMO it is for SH4 V 1.5

keltos

Any chance could get it patched for TMO? Would be nice to use.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 06:37 AM   #823
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99

One question concerning the S-class submarine as currently modelled in RFB. Was it _really_ that much of a pig IRL too, with a 180-degree turn taking it some 10 minutes or something??? I'm finding it impossible to get away in it, because the bloody thing just won't turn!

I don't know... if it really was that clumsy, then no wonder it was phased out by 1943
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 07:50 AM   #824
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Was it _really_ that much of a pig IRL too, with a 180-degree turn taking it some 10 minutes or something??? I'm finding it impossible to get away in it, because the bloody thing just won't turn!

I don't know... if it really was that clumsy, then no wonder it was phased out by 1943
I can't give you accurate data, but I can confirm that the Sclass certainly was phased out already by 1941! Crews hated them, and knew that their surviving chances were a lot slimmer than in more modern boats.

If you want to use the Sclass, you must exploit its strong points and not the weak ones ... try to engage in operations in coastal waters, where its smaller bulk operates to your advantage vs. enemy ASDIC, and make maximum use of the good underwater speed. Your best bet to escape the enemy ASDIC is not by outmaneuvering him, but by sprinting away from where it will search in the next turn after dropping.
Old 01-23-11, 09:11 AM   #825
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99

Thanks Hitman, will keep that in mind. And the S-class boats indeed were real pigs as regards their turning ability! Normann Friedman's "U.S. submarines through 1945: an illustrated design history" has this to say about the matter (p. 122): "The entire S class (but particularly the Portsmouth-designed S-3 - S-13) had such large submerged turning circles that the boats could not make a quick reverse attack." C**p, I'm not envying the RL crews one bit...
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote