Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-18, 09:10 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default U.S women's Olympic hockey team wins the gold medal

U.S women's Olympic hockey team wins the gold medal in the 2018 Winter Olympics. I'm not sure if anyone else stayed up into the early morning hours to watch the Women's Olympic Gold Medal game between Canada and the U.S but it was one for the ages. I well remember the Gold Medal game in Sochi Russia, 4 years ago when the women's team U.S.A lost to Team Canada in overtime in a shootout. For the American team, twins sisters Jocelyn and Monique Lamoureux were the hero's of the Gold Medal game. Monique tied the score at 2-2 with 6 minutes left to play in regulation. The game remained scoreless throughout the overtime period.

Quote: Jocelyn Lamoureux got the winning shootout tally for the U.S., while 20-year-old goalie Maddie Rooney denied Canada on its final attempt to seal the victory. The officiating was a little questionable throughout the contest, but the most egregious missed call came in the third period when Poulin crushed USA's Brianna Decker, who was trying to put a loose puck on net, with a big hit in front of the Canadian net. Because Poulin made contact with Decker's head on the play, Team USA coach Robb Stauber wanted a five-minute major served to Poulin, but the play went unpenalized. (Body checking is illegal in women's hockey, but body contact is legal.)

https://www.cbssports.com/Olympics/n...edal-thriller/

This was an incredible game in which both teams played with heart.

The U.S Women's team lost in a shootout after overtime in Sochi, 4 years ago just as team Canada did this time in PyeongChang, South Korea. The American win was all the more satisfying considering the excellence and dominance of both the Canadian men and women's teams. This Gold Medal game really could have gone either way just as it was 4 years ago in Sochi.

If you are a hockey fan, there was a lot to like about both the men and women's hockey games.

Congratulations to Team U.S.A, Team Canada and Team Finland for a great run and well played series and of course Team U.S.A for their well deserved win. Way to go ladies.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2018/02/22/...time-shootout/

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-22-18 at 09:31 AM.
Commander Wallace is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 10:27 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Beginners luck

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 10:29 AM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Beginners luck

Ya we can't win it every time. That wouldn't be fair.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 10:54 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Congrats to the girls, but German hockey men knocked out Sweden 4:3 in OT and reach the semifinals. To me the bigger surprise in hockey 2018. Germany really is none of the big powers in this sport, while Sweden is - I think - the ruling world champion. I expected them Germans to not being taken note of at all. Germany now meets Canada. And the Stanley Cup is still running, isn't it? So, maybe more surprises.
Old 02-22-18, 11:22 AM   #5
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Germany now meets Canada. And the Stanley Cup is still running, isn't it? So, maybe more surprises.
That is quite possible with no NHL players in the Olympics. But I gotta say, for most Canadian hockey fans these Olympics without the world's best players are a big yawn.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-22-18, 12:35 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon14 From the frigid wasteland: GO GO GOPHER GALS!

Quote:
Beginners luck
Nonsense! all those girls from Minnesota.....http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2536997&postcount=1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby
HEY 8 OUT OF 23 ARE FROM MINNESOTA! 'DIPLOMATICALLY' SPEAKING approx. 33% of the roster!!??....THAT'SMINNESOTANICE BBY
Quote:
Eight women with Minnesota connections — more than one-third of the roster — will represent the U.S. in February at the Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, as the Americans pursue their first Olympic gold medal since 1998. Eight players with ties to the University of Minnesota(Gophers) are on the team: current player Kelly Pannek and former Gophers Hannah Brandt of Vadnais Heights and Lee Stecklein of Roseville, plus Dani Cameranesi, Amanda Kessel, Gigi Marvin, Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson and Monique Lamoureux-Morando.
And just to piss off the Norwegians and Swedes....in addition to Canadians: there's that girl from Afton, Minnesota: Jessie Diggins taking the Cross-country Sprint gold! Even I used to ski at Afton Alps She blew by Sweden's Nilsson in a blur to capture gold in the team sprint, bringing the United States its first gold medal ever in cross-country skiing. I submit: My faith has been vindicated! (sorta makes up for the Vikings in the super bowl!)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 10:12 PM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Beginners luck
I hardly think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

Ya we can't win it every time. That wouldn't be fair.
Seeing how Canada always wins, I think you can let the ladies have their moment.

If I had to sing the Canadian National Anthem, O Canada song one more time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Nonsense! all those girls from Minnesota.....
There are 10 ladies from the Boston area as well.

Brianna Decker F Boston Pride (NWHL)
Meghan Duggan F Boston Pride (NWHL)
Hilary Knight F Boston Pride (NWHL)
Gigi Marvin F Boston Pride (NWHL)
Amanda Pelkey F Boston Pride (NWHL)
Haley Skarupa F Boston Pride (NWHL)
Cayla Barnes D Boston College
Kacey Bellamy D Boston Pride (NWHL)
Kali Flanagan D Boston College
Megan Keller D Boston College

Minnesota is well represented though, as you said. You just know August will be all over this since a good number of the women are from his area or played there. If i were him, I would be as well.

I saw an interview with Phil Kessel, older brother of Olympic team forward, Amanda Kessel. Phil seemed ho hum about the whole thing and I think I was more excited than he was that the American team won. Maybe he is just a private kind of guy.

And yes Aktung, Phil Kessel played in his college days in Minnesota too.
In 2009, Kessel was traded from Boston to the Toronto Maple Leafs where he spent six seasons before being dealt to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2015. Kessel won his first and second Stanley Cup championships with the Pittsburgh Penguins in back to back seasons with wins over the San Jose Sharks and the Nashville Predators, respectively. Kessel is known as a natural goal scorer and for his active iron man streak – he is one of four players in the NHL with an active streak (as of January 2018) of List of NHL players with 500 consecutive games played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Kessel

Having seen a number of games, Kessel is known in Pittsburgh as " Phil the thrill "

quote : Kessel, 10th in the NHL scoring race with 66 points, has one of the quickest shot releases. But Amanda showed she also owns the Kessel shooting DNA when she snapped a wicked shot past goalie Shannon Szabados to tie the shootout 2-2.

Phil tweeted after the win that he was proud of Amanda and the entire U.S. team.

Phil Kessel

@PKessel81
So proud of @AmandaKessel8 and the whole USA Women’s National team. #letsgousa #goldmedal
2:23 AM - Feb 22, 2018

While Kessel has played a starring role in back-to-back Stanley Cup championships with the Penguins, he only owns a silver Olympic medal (2010).

Proving that sibling rivalry is still alive and fun, Amanda said: “Maybe we’re even now.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lry/362357002/

This really was a nail biter game right up to the finish as a Gold Medal Olympic game should be.
Commander Wallace is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 08:53 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
That is quite possible with no NHL players in the Olympics. But I gotta say, for most Canadian hockey fans these Olympics without the world's best players are a big yawn.
Oooopsala - currently the standing is 4:1. For Germany. One third left.
Old 02-23-18, 01:20 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
And yes Aktung, Proving that sibling rivalry is still alive and fun, This really was a nail biter game right up to the finish as a Gold Medal Olympic game should be.
Indeed with Jocelyne Nicole Lamoureux-Davidson to score the winner and her sister, Monique Edith Lamoureux-Morando to tie in regulation ...a veritable 'devine secret of the ya ya sisterhood'; both played for the Gophers and the womens' professional As a school hockey goalie myself since age seven(several teammates turned pro-one owned a team) and college soccer goalie, I don't like shootout endings to these games but the move (shot #5) by the American was a doozy...
Quote:
Lamoureux-Davidson said the move is called “Oops, I did it again” and she has practiced it “thousands of times.”
“I butchered it a thousand times,” she said. “Just glad it worked this time.”
I tend to over analyze these things https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/winter-olympics-2018/2018/02/22/watch-jocelyne-lamoureux-usa-canada-game-winner-gold-medal/362155002/

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-23-18, 01:43 PM   #10
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

cool

OT regarding women's team, but Germany wins 4:3 against Canada in Icehockey? What did i just watch?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 02:35 PM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Congrats to the Gold medal.

I was somehow mentally prepared for a Swedish defeat in the quarterfinal.
Even though my heart cried.

OK, Germany beatet Tre Kronor(Nickname of the Swedish national hockey team)

They will surely not beat Canada, that's for sure I said to myself when I saw that Germany had to play against Canada in the Semifinal.
How could I be so wrong.

Well I will not say anything about the Final
Russia-Germany.

I say prepare for a surprise.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 06:46 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Got some headlines from Canadian newspapers to read. I assume German tourists in Canada currently are well-advised to avoid mentioning hockey.

Collection of newsheadlines, in German:
https://www.welt.de/sport/eishockey/...utschland.html

So it goes. I think the Russians will eat them, however.
Old 02-24-18, 07:05 AM   #13
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Got some headlines from Canadian newspapers to read. I assume German tourists in Canada currently are well-advised to avoid mentioning hockey.
Congrats and I hope you guys win the Gold. Beat them Ruskies!

Of course you realize Sky, that this is an anomaly. No NHL players means that teams from USA, Canada, Russia, Czech Republic, Sweden, etc are considerably weaker. Canada's team of nobodies is not being treated very well in the Canadian press.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/olymp...o-germany.html

With of course an editorial comment of worth.

Quote:
The Germans were worthy winners. The moment’s other winner? Gary Bettman. This shambolic excuse for a tournament only underlined the indispensability of NHL talent.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-24-18, 08:19 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Well, with Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir team Canada at least won a Gold that left me speechless in admiration. Although the French couple winning silver was very close to them. Couldn't say the one really was better than the other. But when a figure skating program makes me comparing it to the legendary Torvill-Dean-Bolero or to the Duchesnays siblings or Klimova-Ponomarenko, all from the 80s, then I know I saw something very special.

Tessa Virtue's breathtaking looks were a welcomed bonus, I admit.
Old 02-24-18, 12:00 PM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default ICE cold , stone hard and broomin' it!

Quote:
Canada's team of nobodies is not being treated very well in the Canadian press.

Hey the US 'team of rejects' curling beat the Canadians: Bypassed for the Olympics, the Minnesotan, John Shuster, formed an alternate "team of rejects" and have captured the Gold from Sweden, Skipper John Shuster, who formed the reject team, Chisholm MINN; John Landsteiner, Duluth MiNN; George Tyler, DULUTH MINN; Joe Polo, DULUTH MINN!!! https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/meet-us-mens-curling-team
The fifth guy's from Wisconsin....right next door but that's just being 'Minnesota Nice'...and they can't really be called rejects any more!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-24-18 at 01:08 PM.