SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-16-15, 04:34 AM   #136
moha14881
Loader

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 0
Default Erratic behaviour

I definitely love you've applied the laws of physics to the targetting optics! Now we can have a nice solution! But very sadly I found that sometimes the torpedoes don't follow the solution but go wobbling in an erratic ABSOLUTELY WRONG gyroangle. Sometimes both the torpedoes and their trails are wrong.
I've also encountered this glitch\bug:
It's called Free Willy da torpedo!
moha14881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 12:59 PM   #137
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moha14881 View Post
But very sadly I found that sometimes the torpedoes don't follow the solution but go wobbling in an erratic ABSOLUTELY WRONG gyroangle. Sometimes both the torpedoes and their trails are wrong.
I've also encountered this glitch\bug:
It's called Free Willy da torpedo!
That's not a bug. There are parameters in the Torpedo.sim files that simulate gyro malfunctions. So, for any given torpedo it is possible to have a guidance error of whatever, 0 to 90°, or 0 to 135°.

As far as the 'wakes', or tracks, are concerned, I agree that they are not altogether ideal.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the mod.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 01:32 PM   #138
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
That's not a bug.
But it's proof positive that you can document your mod till the cows come home and people won't read your carefully written guide. Shades of Ducimus' readme "that nobody reads."

Irrelevant side note: imagine if porpoising torpedoes worked properly, splashes and all. Imagine if the enemy crew saw them as a real enemy would. Sure would add a lot of excitement to a boring meticulous attack, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-16-15 at 01:40 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 05:17 PM   #139
moha14881
Loader

I just hope the torpedo malfunction probability ain't 100%. I encountered this and was like
Especially when I'm aiming for 0deg gyroangle I get all +\- 135deg.
Old 12-16-15, 07:56 PM   #140
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moha14881 View Post
I just hope the torpedo malfunction probability ain't 100%. I encountered this and was like
Especially when I'm aiming for 0deg gyroangle I get all +\- 135deg.
It shouldn't happen very often, though I think this was more of a problem than is commonly understood. Ideally, many of these things would be partly a function of crew skill. Torpedoes were very high maintenance weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
But it's proof positive that you can document your mod till the cows come home and people won't read your carefully written guide. Shades of Ducimus' readme "that nobody reads."
I must confess, I don't always read the readmes either. I think my RFB 2.0 docs were lost or overwritten. I was going to check something the other day, and couldn't find them.

Quote:
Irrelevant side note: imagine if porpoising torpedoes worked properly, splashes and all. Imagine if the enemy crew saw them as a real enemy would. Sure would add a lot of excitement to a boring meticulous attack, wouldn't it?
Yes. That would be fun.

One funny thing about them; they skitter along on the surface, but still go straight, not really affected by waves. I would've liked to have them more erratic, veering this way and that.

I played around with the 'wakes', trying to moderate the ability of the AI to see them, but it seems to have nothing to do with the visible wakes we see. One would have thought that would be something we could change.
Old 01-28-16, 01:36 PM   #141
moha14881
Loader

Icon12

So before opening the torp tubes call battle stations and try to have as much torp guys and gunners in the torp rooms as enlistees will guarantee a malfunction.
Old 01-28-16, 01:43 PM   #142
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 181

im using OTC. Is it working with OTC too? Just to make sure.
dashyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-16, 04:54 PM   #143
Majestik 909
Planesman

Downloads: 0

Real commanders input all data manually....
Previous Kommandant U-196 - 400,317 GRT - Current Kommandant U-847 - 592,000 GRT - Monsun Gruppe 33 - Codename - Majestik - "Kommen flach! Alles ruhig! Machen umdrehungen für zwei knoten! Bis periskop!!!"
Majestik 909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-16, 05:00 PM   #144
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

I just to say a big thanks to TorpX!

RFB doesn't get a lot of love compared to TMO.
Old 01-28-16, 05:18 PM   #145
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestik 909 View Post
Real commanders input all data manually....
Actually I still have to manually enter them... Its mainly to fix the ''sight is a bit off in widescreen'' issue. Unless they fixed it officially in one of the patch id rather play it safe. This isnt an auto targeting mod.
Old 01-28-16, 11:11 PM   #146
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashyr View Post
im using OTC. Is it working with OTC too? Just to make sure.
If you are talking about TMO + OTC, I think Silent Prey adapted a version of ISP for that.

HERE is the Silent Prey build.

As far as RFB is concerned, I don't think there is any OTC version for RFB 2.0. So I can't recommend using OTC with RFB and ISP. I had hoped that Cap'nScurvy would make a version for RFB 2.0, but he ran into problems, and decided to build his own mod instead.

The latest ISP version, 2.8 is for RFB 2.0 and RSRDC only. I did not make another version for TMO. Tbh, there is not that big a difference from earlier versions. Mainly, I tried to improve the aircraft, and changed sub crew organization, but these are not huge factors in the game.

Old 01-29-16, 12:18 AM   #147
dashyr
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
If you are talking about TMO + OTC, I think Silent Prey adapted a version of ISP for that.

HERE is the Silent Prey build.

As far as RFB is concerned, I don't think there is any OTC version for RFB 2.0. So I can't recommend using OTC with RFB and ISP. I had hoped that Cap'nScurvy would make a version for RFB 2.0, but he ran into problems, and decided to build his own mod instead.

The latest ISP version, 2.8 is for RFB 2.0 and RSRDC only. I did not make another version for TMO. Tbh, there is not that big a difference from earlier versions. Mainly, I tried to improve the aircraft, and changed sub crew organization, but these are not huge factors in the game.

Thanks
Old 05-01-16, 07:26 PM   #148
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

I would like to say a big thankyou for this mod TorpX

I was wondering though if there is a way I could get the much more limiting map contact info from RFB back? I always feel like I am getting too much from the map contacts, but too little from no map contacts so I settled for the toned down RFB contacts.

A related issue is that the Realism score now adds up to 105 with everything ticked. Not sure if this is a problem or not
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 08:36 PM   #149
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

I did some testing with ISP 2.8 last night and I noticed some unusual things happen with torpedo shots.

I tried the training mission and for one thing the bubble trail begins some place behind my sub and the torpedo track looks odd. Also my torps were going through the hull of the Mogami when set on contact influence. When I set them to contact influence and they did explode it seemed to be before the hull, initially I thought this was a torp malfunction but I cant help shake that feeling that everything looked to be a short distance from where it actually was.

I am running RFB + RSRDC. I decided to go back to ISP 2.15
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 11:04 AM   #150
moha14881
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
I did some testing with ISP 2.8 last night and I noticed some unusual things happen with torpedo shots.

I tried the training mission and for one thing the bubble trail begins some place behind my sub and the torpedo track looks odd. Also my torps were going through the hull of the Mogami when set on contact influence. When I set them to contact influence and they did explode it seemed to be before the hull, initially I thought this was a torp malfunction but I cant help shake that feeling that everything looked to be a short distance from where it actually was.

I am running RFB + RSRDC. I decided to go back to ISP 2.15
That, Sir, was my very problem! You'll need review the forum very near.