SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-06, 10:59 PM   #1
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1
Default The Oblivion game

Totally And am i glad my upgrading paid off. This game is a strain on the hardware. Its blardy beautiful to view. Those who brought the retail version only to find out theres no Construction Set Editor go here to DL it.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/download..._utilities.htm

Any tips or good story quests to tell feel free to tell us!

Oh yeah Theres no more Cliffracers!

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 01:01 PM   #2
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

My system is 3.8 P4, 6800 ultra and 2 gigs ram and I was, shall we say, surprised by how intensive the game could be graphics-wise, especially deep in the forests.

Here is a handy tip, though, that has helped me boost all the ingame settings up to full (Still a bit of slowdown at times but nothing I can't put up with.)

If you open the config ini and look for a section called 'Grass' you can change the line

iMinGrassSize=80

To any number between 1 and 200. Increasing the number reduces the denisity of the grass in the game. I have mine at 160 and it runs very nicely, thankyou. Those with stupidly powerful systems could increase it by reducing the number until their machines explode but that way madness lies and we shall not talk of it...

There are two config files. In the main game directory is one which is the default setting and another is in C/doc and settings/my games. I don't know which one has the effect so I just changed both.

Also: the game will attempt to overwrtie this every time it reloads so make sure you change it to read only first.

Hope this helps people with frame rate problems. I had to do it. Once I switched the shadows on and saw how beautiful it looked I couldn;t go back...
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 08:52 PM   #3
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
If you open the config ini and look for a section called 'Grass' you can change the line

iMinGrassSize=80

To any number between 1 and 200. Increasing the number reduces the denisity of the grass in the game. I have mine at 160 and it runs very nicely, thankyou. Those with stupidly powerful systems could increase it by reducing the number until their machines explode but that way madness lies and we shall not talk of it...

There are two config files. In the main game directory is one which is the default setting and another is in C/doc and settings/my games. I don't know which one has the effect so I just changed both.

Also: the game will attempt to overwrtie this every time it reloads so make sure you change it to read only first.

Hope this helps people with frame rate problems. I had to do it. Once I switched the shadows on and saw how beautiful it looked I couldn;t go back...
Thanks for that Info Egan! Yup this game is a system hogger graphic wise. Im running on my second PC as my faster one i burnt out the mobo when building it So im using me SH3 PC. Athlonxp 2800 overclocked, 786RAM, GF6800GT 256 ram.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 02:48 PM   #4
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Guys, pleeeaaase don't take this personal, but for me Oblivion sucks. It's a bland, uninspired action rpg for kids with a console interface. I find it really irritating that Bethesda gets so much praise for this crap.

I really had high hopes for this game but if from today all RPG's are like that the genre is dead dead dead.

Sorry for this rant.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 03:10 PM   #5
Egan
Admiral

Lol, why would we take it personal? I think it is an alright game but there is nothing stunning in it. I like the combat system and the horses but I would much rather be playing Baldur's gate 3 or something. I felt much the same about Morrowind. It was fun and all but....

I think my problem is that I am fed up with fantasy RPGs. I want one set either in ancient rome or the wild west. No magic, no monsters, just cool characters, stories and back drops.

Actually, after watching Deadwood last night I REALLY want a western rpg. It could be so very cool if it is done right. Imagine it: Six shooters, cool duds, horses, whores, injuns and not a goblin in sight. lets excavate our OWN mythology and past instead of some random swords and sorcery nonsense.

Basically i just want RPG producers to start thinking outside the box. Forget the groundbreaking features for the moment and concentrate on the setting and the story. If you don't got them whats the point in the rest?
Old 05-20-06, 07:50 AM   #6
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Maybe check out this review:

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/gam...ew-21532.shtml

I think finally someone noticed the emperor has no clothes ..

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 07:20 PM   #7
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

it seemd like a fairly good game to me---love the horses- riding around the world was really interesting---but then i never really got on too well with the original game so after a while i started to hit the same barrier i did with morrowind--the enemy AI is bland utterly mind staggeringly bland--- zzzzzzzzzzzz powerfull wizards standing like lemons whilst you kill them slowly with arrows--they don't even say "ouch" let alone wonder where the arrows are coming from--arggh it's so annoying-- the AI is the game ---it's not rocket science surely--don't the goblins ever get fed up of getting killed and invade a city? argh arghh and double arghhh- dont the other adventures ever actually go adventuring?? meeting another adventurer in a cave would at least make you check your target before attacking--it's just not worth the effort

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 07:35 PM   #8
GreyOctober
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 30

God i remember the excitement when it came out. How it was heralded to be "the perfect rpg". Two weeks after more and more people started talking about all the annoying little gameplay issues let alone the uber intensive graphic engine (but that was dealt with by modded cfgs). Well i played it for about 1 week and my enthusiasm died off. Same crap all over again. Ride horse aimless unless on quest, find dungeoon, rip rat and goblin heads off, loot the joint and split to sell and repair. AI is bugged, enemy level advancement is a total bollocks and the list goes on. Let alone having to wait for a certain NPC do do his daily routine, which sometimes wasnt successful. I found several i was looking for stuck in walls..GAH! I sworn to myself that Oblivion was the last PC RPG ill ever play.
If you want quality RPG, gather some friends, go to www.wizards.com , buy some DnD book and play.

Oh, btw:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 05-22-06, 07:50 PM   #9
CB..
Ace of the Deep

yup i agree ---bring back the dice!!!!!!!

they have no idea just how the simple roll of a dice can create the most dynamic and immersive involvement in a game---you are trusting your fate to the universe--daft as it sounds it's true lol---give me a specially designed mouse mat and a dice peripheral and i'll swop all in game combat for a dice roll with out any regrets at all---i'd even consider it for SHIV---yes indeed---as long as the dice is a genuine real world object i get to roll myself out of my own hand onto a mouse mat on the computer table---instant utterly dynamic gameplay with all the inherent excitment that goes with it--all this stuff with AI has allways been about replace-ing the simple roll of a dice with some thing better--well tuuf hard luck when it comes to games admit it game devs the simple six sided lump of plastic has you beat every single time---wake up :rotfl:

W.B.Yeats
Old 05-22-06, 07:58 PM   #10
GreyOctober
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 30

Ditto CB. Weve been playing DnD over here for 6-7 years but our best DM left ...so were kindda "unemployed"..so to speak. We played most settings: regular, oriental, star wars, vampire..you name it. And the roleplaying part really makes the game worthwile..let alone the considerable amount of booze consumed at the end of each session
Old 05-22-06, 08:10 PM   #11
CB..
Ace of the Deep

i never graduated to genuine DnD i must admit but i was that kid playing endless sessions of "escape from colditz" and all those hex based games you only found in books (hours of fun cutting the pieces out with a pair of scissors)---definitely the dice was and will allways be king when it comes to game-ing---

i'm sure a dice peripheral and a mousmat that sensed the dice roll and fed it back to the game would be simplicity it self for a maunfacturer to make- and it would revolutionise computer gaming over night ---bung a set of cards in with that as well---place the card in a slot on a peripheral to use it in the game---and well now were talking--- that's a bit scary i just used the "rock" icon and i'm 43 years old--

W.B.Yeats
Old 05-23-06, 03:23 PM   #12
Egan
Admiral

Neverwinter Nights 2 is out in a couple of weeks. That will do me for a while. Not as much fun as Baldur's gate but I have a soft spot for 'classic' rpg's at least until someone takes up my cowboy idea...
Old 05-23-06, 04:03 PM   #13
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Hi Egan! didn't some one do a cowboy "commandos" type clone a while back? was that any good?-- know what you mean about an rpg cowboy set tho--whilst i was riding the horse around in oblivion i thought the same thing---perfect for high plains drifter type rpg stuff--i can't quite understand the whole aversion to the wild west in games i suppose folks are a little shy of tackling the whole indian war area- can't think what else it might be---but i'm sure they could do a Shane type rpg with-out offending any one--the only thing i don't like about the trad PC rpgs is the level up stuff--- i was happily wading thru ice wind dale when it first came out untill i had a re-occuring nightmare that every time i leveled up--all the enemys leveled up at the same time---woke up in a sweat thinking that means if i get a better sword they get a better sword--if i get a betetr spell they get a better spell--so why bother with leveling up ---all you actually getting is different magic graphics and or weapon effects ..other than that nothings changed--and it's going to be like this the whole length of the game--

mind you ice wind isn't renown for being a top notch rpg--i dunno there's summat missing some where-- SH3 would make a good RPG on the quiet !
with a officers mess and night club and characters/other commanders to chat to--who get patrol results and talk about their experiences--get killed on patrol and so on---it would still be mission based (but so is oblivion at the end of the day) but bags of room for cross overs --

W.B.Yeats
Old 05-28-06, 06:36 AM   #14
squigian
Helmsman

Breaking News(!)

Some Oblivion News from somethingawful; really highlights the missing little details :

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3811
squigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 07:43 PM   #15
gdogghenrikson
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 5
oblivlion Stinks on Xbox 360