SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-18, 10:58 AM   #1
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default Comparing the fleets: How China, Russia and the U.S. stack up

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nes/711058002/

Quote:
The United States is building its first Columbia-class SSBN to replace the Ohio-class, and the Navy anticipates the lead ship will be completed by 2027. The Navy should have 12 Columbia-class boomers by the 2040s, according to General Dynamics, a Navy submarine contractor.

Meanwhile, Russia expects to complete four Borei-II submarines by 2025, and China will begin constructing Type 096 submarines in several years, both of which will be able to travel at speeds of more than 30 knots – or about 10 knots faster than the new Columbia-class SSBN. While the United States is most focused on the lifetime savings from the Columbia-class’s improved nuclear core reactor, for both Russia and China’s next generation of boomers, speed and stealth are key.

“Currently, the U.S. advantage is in quieting, so I’m not surprised to see Russia and China try to close that gap,” said Bradley Martin
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 04:23 PM   #2
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

The USA maintains the edge when it comes to technology however countries like Russia are not far behind and also have created entirely new technology to compensate the SOKS system is just one such invention.

What you will see right now with China is the emphasis of Quality over Quantity and we are seeing that in the type 055 DDG and also the fact they spent a long time with the carrier development and yes realistically china does have the means to pump out 4 or 5 carriers in very rapid succession but they haven't.

The type 055 DDG is also something of a wonder it seems to have been constructed with more care and consideration and also a modern fleet action in mind unlike the older 054 and 053 units which they churned out rapidly and will become cannon fodder

As for Russia they are taking a slower approach focusing on smaller vessels first and building from the bottom up while trying to keep some elderly prized units in place this means it does hamper them but modern units are coming down the ramps thick and fast.

The USA with its current LCS program is to me a waste of money they should have replaced the perry with a similar but more moder frigate design something i think they are now coming to terms with finally.
Whats more the Zumwalts again a huge drain and waste of money IMHO should have been cancelled in favor of building more Burke DDG's.
I do also think the CGX program should be shelved and the Ticonderoga phased out and replaced by stretched burke class DDG's (like the Kong of Japan is) this saves money and time and they can replace them far quicker and cheaper than an entirely new program.

At the moment China has some advantages in home waters but as of yet it wouldn't be a match in open ocean i don't think, ven though they have a considerable amount of auxiliary ships.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote