SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-17, 11:19 AM   #16
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The real trouble you can have in this - and other - missions is the MAD detection which planes are equiped with.
Suffice to say there is a mod (in subsim section) that reduces the '1000 yards MAD range' to 500 yards.
Amusing is that the mod description says it makes planes less 'psychic'

Remedy against MAD is to transform yourself in a sitting duck, stay quiet at 0 knots until plane goes away. Then get away on max non-cavitating speed.

Also after launching any kind of missiles, I used to get away at flank speed to get most distance away, but this gets you detected. You must get away at maximum non-cavitating speed, making use of layers if any.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 08:12 PM   #17
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Archangels version is easier by a lot. You have decent deep water and no MPA hanging around either but there is Mr SS-N-14 however who seems to be of opinion that there's more where this came from. 6-7 splashes for one missile strike seems normal. It works too but I have to wonder of they're being psychic about which way I fled at flank speed to get some of that spread within 1k yards.. I traversed some 8k yards after firing before TIW.

Getting out of that bag is always a bloody affair of course.
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 01:59 PM   #18
IDMooseMan
Watch

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

I have only played the single-mission of this scenario. I was sort of successful one time.

Every time I attempted this scenario silently, I was blown out of the water, so I decided to try something different. I sunk the closest surface ship and, while it was sinking, I moved towards it to use its noise as cover and positioned myself to fire upon the closest approaching surface ship.

I sank the second one, and moved towards it while it was sinking to do the same. Leapfrogging like this sent the remaining surface ships into search mode. When they passed over my position, I used maximum non-cavitating speed to close in on the release point. Fired missiles. Turned and "tried" to get out of there.

Missile strikes were successful, but on the way out is when the "found" me, and again, I was blown out of the water.

This Air Force guy has a lot of respect for the submariners out there who actually had to do this type of thing. Frankly, I am at a loss of how to successfully complete the mission AND survive.

I will try the methods mentioned previously. Thank you for the information and strategies. Much appreciated.
"To those that serve and have served, "Thank You"; To those that have not, "You are Welcome".
IDMooseMan is offline   Reply With Quote