SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-15, 06:37 PM   #1
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11
Default Rec Manual

Who here knows how to modify the recognition manual?

Like changing the 'base height' reference points, and the like.

Also, how does one find the actual height/dimensions of the ship models used in the game?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 07:30 PM   #2
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX
Who here knows how to modify the recognition manual?
I Do!!!

Ok..... so maybe some other guy's do too?!?

Quote:
Also, how does one find the actual height/dimensions of the ship models used in the game?
You have to make sure your "view" is calibrated to the correct scale that a true periscope "Field of View" would have been ......that's one degree of angle is equal to 52.3 feet @ 1000 yards distance.

Gee, that sounds a lot like what Optical Targeting Correction does?!?

Once the view is corrected in-game.....just measure each and every target ship model in-game.

That's what OTC does too.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 03:47 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Once the view is corrected in-game.....just measure each and every target ship model in-game.

That's what OTC does too.
Yes, I was going to look at OTC, but I thought I would start small and try to understand the rec manual first.

Btw, what do you use to view and manipulate the *.tga and *.dds files?

Besides correcting heights, reference points and the like, I was also wanting to change the order and organization of the ships, if possible. It seems like you need to make 72 clicks to get to the one you want.

Old 05-31-15, 05:23 PM   #4
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227
Uploads: 0

Quote:
It seems like you need to make 72 clicks to get to the one you want.
OM/OMEGU has an identify ship button (like TMO etc.) Then if you click on the ship's name with the rec manual open, that ship's page appears in the rec manual. I don't know how it's done but pretty nifty (if you want to have "the crew" find the right ship instead of flipping through yourself.)

Of course, you can still flip through yourself if you want!
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 05:46 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

I don't want to rely on the games ID, just make it easier to find a certain ship. If instead of having MERCHANTS, period, you had MERCHANTS- passenger/transport, MERCHANTS- cargo, MERCHANTS- tanker, MERCHANTS- auxiliary, you would have a smaller number of ships to page through.
Old 06-01-15, 01:37 PM   #6
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX
Btw, what do you use to view and manipulate the *.tga and *.dds files?
I use a couple of tools.

DXTBmp is one that used to be listed here at SubSim. A google search will give you several download sites.....Here's one. It's free and will open both .tga and .dds image files. I'll use it to export/import the Alpha Channel image, and do some minor changes to either the main image or the Alpha with it. Usually I'll export the Alpha to something like my PhotoShop Elements software and make changes there more often than in the DXTBmp tool. Once I'm done in PhotoShop, I'll use the import feature of DXTBmp to combine the two images together again.

Adobe PhotoShop Elements needs to have the Nvidia Plugin added to it to open and save .dds or .tga images. Find it here. Guess it's what you get used to, but I like PhotoShop.....Gimp can work well too, although I rarely use it.

One thing to remember about a .dds image, it is a Lossy compression type file format. Where a .tga is considered a Lossless compression file type. Here's a brief description of the two from Wikipedia:

There are two types of image file compression algorithms: lossless and lossy.

Lossless compression algorithms reduce file size while preserving a perfect copy of the original uncompressed image. Lossless compression generally, but not always, results in larger files than lossy compression. Lossless compression should be used to avoid accumulating stages of re-compression when editing images.

Lossy compression algorithms preserve a representation of the original uncompressed image that may appear to be a perfect copy, but it is not a perfect copy. Often lossy compression is able to achieve smaller file sizes than lossless compression. Most lossy compression algorithms allow for variable compression that trades image quality for file size.

What this means is the more times you save a .dds image....the greater the chance of losing the clarity/color the original image had. So, work with an image with the .tga file format until you get it the way you like....then save it to a .dds file format to have the file size smaller than what a .tga image would be. The smaller an image size, the less memory it takes to display it in-game. This old game needs all the help it can get by keeping it's memory usage to a minimum.

Speaking of that. If an image doesn't need Mip-Maps, than don't have them added to the image. For instance, no mip-maps are needed for the Recognition Manual images. The RM isn't going to be read from a varying distance, so no mip-maps need to be added. A plane that's coming into view at a distance, then growing larger as it nears, needs mip-maps to display the plane as well as it can at the different display sizes. The images in the RM, or dials/gauges, don't need them.

Mip-Maps increase image file size. So, only have them included on images that need them.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-01-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 11:49 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Thank-you Cap'n. This helps.
Old 06-02-15, 10:30 AM   #8
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Besides correcting heights, reference points and the like, I was also wanting to change the order and organization of the ships, if possible. It seems like you need to make 72 clicks to get to the one you want.
This is something I'd like to see too, but I don't think it can be done.

On the outside of the RM you have a choice of the different nationality warships, or the merchants. It's default opens up the Japan Warships section, next the Merchants, then the remainder of the nationality warships in alphabetical order....starting with the American's, British, etc.

Within these sections the ships are divided into a pre determined order of class type, and an alphabetical order by ship name within each class. For instance the Japan Warships start with the BB's, CV's, CVL's, CA's, CL's, DD's and so on. With an alphabetical order by ship name within each of the class type's.

Merchants also follow this pattern with the Passenger Liners starting off first, then the Troop Transport, Tankers, Freighters, Coastal Ships, Fishing, the Tug follows up last.

The trouble is, I don't think these sections can be made to "Tab" the specific classes within the Menu_1024_768.ini file. Just making the entries won't do it......the game needs to have a script made to specifically tell it to open a class type with a "Tab" mouse click. I believe making the "Tab" show on the RM can be done. Making it actually function to do something is another matter.

Quote:
Old 06-02-15, 10:24 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

I was afraid of that.

I guess if it could have been fixed, someone would have done so already.

Thank-you for taking the time to reply; I know you're busy these days.

Tags
rec manual, ships, stadimeter