SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-17, 11:11 AM   #4951
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
ach....life's details can be soooo frustrating. how does one capture a screen print in less than 19.2k? i use an excellent screen print utility but the captures are too large to fit within subsim's constraints. how do you guys capture a screen and paste it into one of these messages?
Gimp works very well, as well as an old copy of PhotoshopLE I have. The way I do it, is install Gimp, set the file associations you want (I leave MS Photo Viewer as my "default" image opener), and then I right-click on a bmp file in the Silent Hunter root directory, and choose "Open With..." to choose Gimp (or whatever app you want to use). Gimp has a cropping tool, so I'll usually do that first to cut out the unwanted areas of a picture, then I use the Image / Re-size and get it down to the size I want. It's usually best to "Constrain Proportions" to keep the top and sides the same proportion. You can choose pixels or inches or millimeters (or something else) as your unit of measurement. Once you get things set the way you want - there's also a Zoom-in and Zoom-out to help you with your editing - but once you have what you want, you have to use the File - Export in Gimp. The Save and Save As are for "native" Gimp files. When you go to Export the file though, choose the jpeg option at the bottom, and rename the file, maybe even saving it in a different folder for easier retrieval later. There will be a dialog that pops-up and asks you how much jpeg compression you want to use, between 1 & 10, with 10 being the bigger file, but more clarity. I usually try to keep my files around 100-150kb, which is generally fine for on-screen viewing. If you are after detail though, full-size is sometimes necessary.

Right now, Photobucket has ticked-off probably a third of the world's population with the change in their Terms Of Service, and they are definitely NOT the place to go, but Imgur.com is an OK (for now) place to upload photos to, and then "link" to them for posting here. While the site has an image upload thingie, they are generally rather tiny, and tough to see on the screen...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 11:36 AM   #4952
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

ok...here we go.

heading into port at 9 kts. Early morning on December 17.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4_Manila_CTD.jpg (41.0 KB, 15 views)

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 11:57 AM   #4953
captnmike
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
I was using the wrong version of LAA for my system and did not realize it until I carefully read through your instructions. I corrected this by using the laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5 that I should have been using in the first place. 3.24 Gb RAM usage now confirmed in the task manager performance tab graph readout. It was around 1.92 Gb previously with the wrong version of LAA in use. Things seem much better now. Smoother graphics overall. And the game is more promptly responsive to time compression changes, view changes, etc. Thank you for your guidance!

I have noticed the green light will light up when I point the sonar head at Japanese aircraft that I have just dove to avoid. Kind of nice to be able to watch them pass by using passive sonar....but not exactly realistic IMHO. I guess using this knowledge constitutes cheating on my part, but hey any advantage to keep myself and the crew alive. Also, last night on stream, I was getting a green light on passive sonar from a fast merchant that I had sunk in the past hour or so. I looked at the bearing and then went to the map. Sure enough the bearing was pointing straight at the little broken red ship tombstone on the map.
Hi Immelmann,
Thanks for your post on the LAA issue. I am also using "LAA ver.2.0.4.0. but my registry shows I have Netframework V4.0.0.0, however when I "Alt.Tab." out of SH-4 FOTRSU_06.2 back to desktop then bring up windows task manager I too can see "memory in use" graph showing that I am using over 2-GBs actually (3.1 to 3.5 GBS)! So again thanks for your post because I wanted away to verify that the LAA program was actually working while I'm running the game!
Old 07-11-17, 12:31 PM   #4954
propbeanie

Quote:
ok...here we go.

Very interesting screen grab... Can you fully describe the circumstances? You are not in far enough to trigger the "End Patrol". Almost there, but not quite. Had the computer locked-up at this point? Yet you're able to take a screen shot, or did you do a Windows Screen Capture, with a <Shift><PrntScrn>? Did the loss of the dials come first, right after like what I call a "hiccup" in the "smoothness" of the game? You are a little East of where I got the hiccup in my game, from which I took my screenie above. Does your computer go on out the the desktop with a "Silent Hunter has quit working", or whatever the Windows error message is? Or did things just "freeze" and quit working?... What happens if you take the 3k bearing tool out of your active mods? Have you taken the Kongo Fix out? If you open LAA again, and look at the SH4.exe, does it show "TRUE" in the LAA column? Thanks in advance for any further info you can give.

Old 07-11-17, 12:51 PM   #4955
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
ok...here we go.

Its more than interesting propbeanie, here's what I get after checking the properties of that top image that mark bonamer posted.

That address URL is one line in length but it takes up 54.7 KB, I think we need to know what method you are using to post your images.
Old 07-11-17, 12:53 PM   #4956
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Very interesting screen grab... Can you fully describe the circumstances? You are not in far enough to trigger the "End Patrol". Almost there, but not quite.
on set course. 9 kts. on the surface. normal stations.

Quote:
Had the computer locked-up at this point? Yet you're able to take a screen shot, or did you do a Windows Screen Capture, with a <Shift><PrntScrn>?
i was taking screen shots every few minutes in order to capture game conditions before the CTD. once the ctd hits, the game graphics are gone (see below)

Quote:
Did the loss of the dials come first, right after like what I call a "hiccup" in the "smoothness" of the game?
the loss of dials began with the LOAD of the saved game. i mentioned this feature in previous posts. i thought it was related to DirectX 9 not being installed but i guess i was wrong.

Quote:
You are a little East of where I got the hiccup in my game, from which I took my screenie above. Does your computer go on out the the desktop with a "Silent Hunter has quit working", or whatever the Windows error message is? Or did things just "freeze" and quit working?...
SH4 crashed and i see a message box informing me of the crash. box has a couple of options none of which include a recovery.

Quote:
What happens if you take the 3k bearing tool out of your active mods? Have you taken the Kongo Fix out?
not yet. i guess that will be next change(s).

Quote:
If you open LAA again, and look at the SH4.exe, does it show "TRUE" in the LAA column? Thanks in advance for any further info you can give.
yes.

LAA enabled
Old 07-11-17, 02:10 PM   #4957
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
on set course. 9 kts. on the surface. normal stations.

i was taking screen shots every few minutes in order to capture game conditions before the CTD. once the ctd hits, the game graphics are gone (see below)

the loss of dials began with the LOAD of the saved game. i mentioned this feature in previous posts. i thought it was related to DirectX 9 not being installed but i guess i was wrong.

SH4 crashed and i see a message box informing me of the crash. box has a couple of options none of which include a recovery.

not yet. i guess that will be next change(s).

yes.
+

my face is red.

i was done-in by a faulty drag and drop.

at sometime previously, i must have accidentally dropped the Submarine subfolder from a previous MOD into the 3000 yd tool folder set. when you (or scurvy or robbin) suggested that i back out of the Kongo fix and the 3000 yd fix it got me to thinking...which is bad. so i did a bit a reconnoitering and found the errant folder.

so i deleted it and reapplied the mod. fired up SH4, loaded the save and...i was able to finish the mission. No CTD and No white-out dials.

my sincere apologies for the wasted fission-material that you-guys used up trying to figure out what this dumb-ass did to fubar a fine mod.

i did learn quite a bit from the exchange, though. i still need to figure out how to copy/paste graphics into the message stream. i'll work at it.

thank you for your patience.

LAA enabled
Old 07-11-17, 02:14 PM   #4958
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
+

........... it got me to thinking...which is bad...........

And that's all anyone needs to know. Thinking: it causes trouble EVERY TIME it's tried.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 02:56 PM   #4959
propbeanie

Quote:
+

my face is red.

No harm, no foul, and since it is a slight problem area anyway... If we didn't look, it'd be on us. We def don't wanna be no BuOrd and ignore a Captain's report...

Old 07-11-17, 03:45 PM   #4960
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That thinking stuff is how all of us got started here. Talk about trouble!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 05:19 PM   #4961
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

I think you could be right!!!! Oh dear, there I go again thinking...

Is it to late to escape area 51?
Old 07-11-17, 05:19 PM   #4962
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
+

my face is red.

at sometime previously, i must have accidentally dropped the Submarine subfolder from a previous MOD into the 3000 yd tool folder set. when you (or scurvy or robbin) suggested that i back out of the Kongo fix and the 3000 yd fix it got me to thinking...which is bad. so i did a bit a reconnoitering and found the errant folder.

so i deleted it and reapplied the mod. fired up SH4, loaded the save and...i was able to finish the mission. No CTD and No white-out dials.

my sincere apologies for the wasted fission-material that you-guys used up trying to figure out what this dumb-ass did to fubar a fine mod.

i did learn quite a bit from the exchange, though. i still need to figure out how to copy/paste graphics into the message stream. i'll work at it.

thank you for your patience.

Don't stress yourself about it Mark
A ModSoup corruption is something that just about everyone around here has had at one point or another

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 05:23 PM   #4963
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
A ModSoup corruption is something that just about everyone around here has had at one point or another
Far too many to count... Hell I'm still at it...
Old 07-11-17, 05:36 PM   #4964
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
after further review....it was not I...it was the 3000 yd tool.
but i love that tool.
is anyone aware of a FOTRS-compatible replacement?

LAA enabled
Old 07-11-17, 06:12 PM   #4965
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
after further review....it was not I...it was the 3000 yd tool.
but i love that tool.
is anyone aware of a FOTRS-compatible replacement?
Mark, can you upload a copy ?

I do not have this mod in my library, so i cannot see what it changes ?