SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-16, 08:56 AM   #1
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2
Default ASuW TMA Practice (1 star)

A single player scenario for DW 1.04 with LWAMI 3.11
Copy the content of the spoiler in a text file and save it in your Scenario folder with a name of your choosing and a ".mu" extension.

VERSION 3
OWNALLIANCE 0
DIFFICULTY 1
TOTALNUMSIDES 2
NUMDRIVEABLES 1
MONTH 3
WORLDGRID 2
LATLONG 60.745548 -13.340015
;
SEASTATE 2
MDR 0 0 0
BOTTOMTYPE 0
TIMEOFDAY 10
WEATHER 0
CLOUDHEIGHT 4500
SSP 1
PEACETIMESIDE 0
PEACETIMESIDE 1
PEACETIMESIDE 2
PEACETIMESIDE 3
PEACETIMESIDE 4
DESCRIPTION
BEGINTEXT
Choose a sub platform to practice TMA against the surface target in the area. Experiments with different TMA tactics.<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

ENDTEXT
MISSIONTITLE
BEGINTEXT
ASuW TMA Practice
ENDTEXT

ENTITY 286 SURFENTITY
HULLID 8
ALLIANCE 1
POS 436555.250000 681282.750000 0
POINTS 750
COURSE 305
SPEED 14
PROB 100
EMCON 1
UNIQUENAME "DDG 92"
RANDOMSTARTBOX 433089.750000 691673.687500 440020.812500 670891.750000
TACTIC TRANSIT
WAYPOINT 376486.281250 723611.562500 0 20 -1 0.000000
AIRLOADOUT 10
AIRCRAFT 351 1
END

TEXTLABEL 432348.625000 681806.250000
BEGINTEXT
Target Position
ENDTEXT
COLOR RGB(255,255,128)
END

ENTITY 402 SUBENTITY
HULLID 6
ALLIANCE 0
POS 404364.593750 685247.812500 -180
POINTS 750
COURSE 8
SPEED 8
PROB 100
DRIVEABLE 1
PLAYERCHOICE 1
PLAYERTASKING
BEGINTEXT
The target estimated loacation is marked in your navmap and it is on a NW course running faster then 10 knots.<R>

<R>

:::EXECUTION:::<R>

A) when you first make contact with the target mark your position and time on the navmap.<R>

<R>

B) choose a TMA tactic to practice and
strat tracking the target:<R>

1. Point-Lead-Point<R>

2. Point-Lead-Lag<R>

3. Point-Lag-Point<R>

4. Point-Lag-Lead<R>

Each tactic is made of three legs if the next leg is a LEAD you should steer your boat of about +/-70° relative to POINT bearing, if it is a LAG one you
should steer the boat of about +/-50°relative to POINT. Be careful, do not put the target in your baffles.<R>

<R>

C) try to ID the target in narrowband, and as soon as you have an high confidence about it, mark your position on the navmap and write the time.<R>

<R>

D)
when you are confident with your solution: PAUSE the game, mark it on your navmap writing current time, turn Truth on and compare it with the real target location and heading, and take note of the errors.<R>

<R>

:::EVALUATION:::<R>

Compare your errors, with the ta
bles below. [BE=Bearing Error, CE=Course Error, SE=Speed Error, RE=Range Error]<R>

<R>

OPTIMAL SOLUTION<R>

BE < 1°<R>

CE < 1°<R>

SE = 0 kt<R>

RE < 0.5 nmi (1012 yd)<R>

<R>

ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION<R>

BE < 2°<R>

CE < 5°<R>

SE < 1 kt<R>

RE < 1 nmi<R>

<R>

Also, take into account the time elapsed for getti
ng both your target solution and target identification.<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

<R>

ENDTEXT
UNIQUENAME "SS 402"
COMMSINTERVAL 0.000000
RANDOMSTARTBOX 400294.468750 696445.750000 408434.718750 674049.937500
TACTIC TRANSITSEARCH
WAYPOINT 407104.312500 702654.375000 -180 8 -1 0.000000
AIRLOADOUT 97
AIRCRAFT 1722 1 Alert5 0 : Alert15 1 : 0 Alert30 0 :
END

MAPCIRCLES
CIRCLE 2 436629.437500 681282.750000 4.000000 255 255 128 -1
END

A very simple scenario for the absolute beginner that want to learn manual sonar and TMA stations. The sole purpose of this mission is to practice with sonar and TMA.

The tasking of this mission contains some indication on how it should be performed and evaluated.

The target estimated loacation is marked in your navmap and it is on a NW course running faster then 10 knots.

:::EXECUTION:::
A) when you first make contact with the target mark your position and time on the navmap.

B) choose a TMA tactic to practice and start tracking the target:

1. Point-Lead-Point<R>
2. Point-Lead-Lag<R>
3. Point-Lag-Point<R>
4. Point-Lag-Lead<R>

Each tactic is made of three legs if the next leg is a LEAD you should steer your boat of about +/-70° relative to POINT bearing, if it is a LAG one you
should steer the boat of about +/-50°relative to POINT. Be careful, do not put the target in your baffles.

C) try to ID the target in narrowband, and as soon as you have an high confidence about it, mark your position on the navmap and write the time.

D) when you are confident with your solution: PAUSE the game, mark it on your navmap writing current time, turn Truth on and compare it with the real target location and heading, and take note of the errors.<R>

:::EVALUATION:::<R>
Compare your errors, with the tables below.[BE=Bearing Error, CE=Course Error, SE=Speed Error, RE=Range Error]

OPTIMAL SOLUTION
BE < 1°
CE < 1°
SE = 0 kt
RE < 0.5 nmi (1012 yd)

ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION
BE < 2°
CE < 5°
SE < 1 kt
RE < 1 nmi

Also, take into account the time elapsed for getting both target solution and identification.

This scenario could be played with different sub platforms.

EDIT:
I initially made this scenario just for myself, after reading this paper:
http://calhoun.nps.edu/bitstream/han...pdf?sequence=1
I wanted to sistematically try out the "matematically ideal" TMA tactics in DW, I thought it was funny to try out and potentially could give me more insight on many things.

Last edited by banryu79; 09-16-16 at 03:20 AM.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-16, 11:24 AM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

How your tactic may help when around are 4-10 (even more) targets?
I think "point", "leg" and "lead" in DW is pointless because it is not SH type game. I prefer make course changing for better reasons like team tactic, monitoring enemy moves, evading tracking etc.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-16, 11:59 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
How your tactic may help when around are 4-10 (even more) targets?
I think "point", "leg" and "lead" in DW is pointless because it is not SH type game. I prefer make course changing for better reasons like team tactic, monitoring enemy moves, evading tracking etc.
If you're doing manual TMA, changing course for "lead" and "lag" type situations is rather crucial. I plan many of my course changes around narrowing down target solutions. If you're not doing manual TMA, you don't really need to do it as much because the computer is better (re: quicker) at doing it than humans. But changing courses is very instrumental in narrowing down the possible range of solutions.

If there are more than ten targets, even more than four, good luck to the human solution maker

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-16, 12:03 PM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Also, an important part of teaching and learning is trying to start with just one concept at a time. You can start introducing other things you have to consider when changing course after you get the basics down.

My videos:
Old 09-15-16, 03:58 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

I think tactic point/lead/lag is not crucial in DW battles because concerns target which is:

1) alone,
2) moving straight,
3) with constant speed
4) in open waters

So if you think it is crucial to changes course only +70/-50/0 (for target going from left to right) please give me good reasons for that.
In my opinion much better is changing course minimum +/-30 depending on the tactical situation.

Second problem is identification. In many MP and SP missions civilian traffic is high. So which 50 or 60 Hz narrowband contact is your main target?

Since RA 1.40 acoustic signatures was changed:

Frequency String 1 – Generator Type
50 or 60 Hz for units
55 Hz and 65 Hz for torpedoes.

Frequency String 2 – Tonnage Factor
100 Hz – 41000 Tonns and more
280 Hz – 500 – 999 Tonns

Frequency String 3 – Engine Type - first string good for identification!

Frequency String 4 and 5 – Unique frequency for each class

It means, good identification for military weasels is possible from short ranges.

Like I said before, tactics point/leg/lead are almost useless in real battle because was created for idealized situation.

BTW did You read chapter "VI. CONCLUSIONS" from this analysis?

Quote:
an important part of teaching and learning is trying to start with just one concept at a time
I agree... but not in DW beacause most players are shocked when meets many contacts especially from TA. So teaching new players on too idealized situation is in my opinion not good.
I personally don't want play missions where alone main target is going straight with constant speed with tactic "transit" because this is boring.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-16, 04:59 PM   #6
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
I think tactic point/lead/lag is not crucial in DW battles because concerns target which is:

1) alone,
2) moving straight,
3) with constant speed
4) in open waters

So if you think it is crucial to changes course only +70/-50/0 (for target going from left to right) please give me good reasons for that.
In my opinion much better is changing course minimum +/-30 depending on the tactical situation.
It's my opinion. Why only change your course a little bit when you can change it a lot and get a greater differential in bearing rate? If there is a scenario where a player has to transit somewhere or sneak in somewhere by a certain time, then sure, the player does not have the same liberty in changing course solely for aiding in TMA. However, in a significant number of missions, the player's role is only to track and/or hunt enemy platforms. Why not give yourself the highest contrast in bearing rate? Like I said, this is mainly if you're plotting manually, and it's good for starting out. If you're using auto TMA, then yeah, you don't need as drastic of course changes.

Quote:
Second problem is identification. In many MP and SP missions civilian traffic is high. So which 50 or 60 Hz narrowband contact is your main target?

Since RA 1.40 acoustic signatures was changed:

Frequency String 1 – Generator Type
50 or 60 Hz for units
55 Hz and 65 Hz for torpedoes.

Frequency String 2 – Tonnage Factor
100 Hz – 41000 Tonns and more
280 Hz – 500 – 999 Tonns

Frequency String 3 – Engine Type - first string good for identification!

Frequency String 4 and 5 – Unique frequency for each class

It means, good identification for military weasels is possible from short ranges.

Like I said before, tactics point/leg/lead are almost useless in real battle because was created for idealized situation.
The second frequency is definitely the first good frequency for identification. Let's say one is targeting a Foxtrot-class submarine. The player finds a 50 Hz frequency on the narrowband. As they move in to further classify the contact, the second frequency becomes 280 Hz. This is for sure not a Foxtrot because the Foxtrot has a second frequency of 250 Hz. (RA frequencies)

One also has to use their intuition in this regard. Are you seeing only a 50 Hz and 60 Hz signal with no accompanying broadband signal? There is a good probability that the contact is a military, maybe even submerged, contact. If you have a strong broadband signal along with a narrowband signal, the contact is most likely a civilian.

Quote:
BTW did You read chapter "VI. CONCLUSIONS" from this analysis?

I have not but a quick skim through shows that to be interesting. I have a background in engineering, so mathematical solutions to TMA are something I have been interested in for a while. I will check that out for sure.

Quote:
I agree... but not in DW beacause most players are shocked when meets many contacts especially from TA. So teaching new players on too idealized situation is in my opinion not good.
I personally don't want play missions where alone main target is going straight with constant speed with tactic "transit" because this is boring.
I would say that is exactly the reason why topics should really be taught one at a time. This game has a very steep learning curve already. I think just throwing people into the fray could have the effect of frustrating them to the point where they think the game is even more daunting than it already is. How is one supposed to determine the interaction and effect of various components of a battle if they don't know how the various parts behave by themselves?

This is how I learned in my undergraduate experience in college. You learn the topics by themselves, one at a time. Then you start combining them into more complex problems. You first need to know how the individual parts work, though. Knowledge is power. The more you can learn, the better.

I should probably check out this mission instead of just hijacking this thread

My videos:
Old 09-16-16, 03:14 AM   #7
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Default More explanations about the Scenario origins

I think I need to better explain my reasons and what inspired me in sharing this scenario.

The sole aim of this scenario is to give to the ABSOLUTE WANNABE MANUAL TMA SKIPPER a safe haven to practice. This is the context for the scenario. And this scenario is just the first, the most simple.

I thought about a "level 0 Manual TMA" (more or less the equivalent of the classical "Hello world" when you start to learn how to program in a new language) - a sub vs a surface platform came to my mind.

The default platform for the mission is a Kilo, and for some reasons: no TA, no waterfall display, only two trackers: simple sonar to manage while you are learning to do other stuff. Also, ASuW is the Role of the Kilo, so it is appropriate.

You are doing manual TMA for the first time, there are so many concepts to absorb. Just do it in the less distracting and simpler scenario possible.
Just practice and become proficent, very proficient, in getting an optimal TMA in the shortest time you can get in these ideal conditions. Then, and only then start doing it in more complex scenario/conditions. But first, you have to be sure you completly grasped the basic.
The beginner can replay the scenario to 1) practice more 2) try different TMA tactics and directly experiment how and why leg sequences matters 3) experiment and learn with different platforms (different interfaces, different capabilities)

Also, I was inspired by the thesis/paper you have linked above (I read it completly al least 2 times), in fact I wanted a scenario for practicing the tactics explained there to become both more proficient in manual TMA and more conscious of what I'm doing and why, so that I can also choose to behave in different ways form the "ideal" one in different situations (knowing precisely why).

P.S.: please note that the situation you presents (4/10 contacts) in my opinion is addressed in the scenario "Contact madness" that shows how good are the "processing capabilities" of the seawolf class for tracking contacts (you and Otto have so many trackers to use...).
Also, in this kind of situation you can let Otto work for you to quickly establish sitational awarness and then reliquish control to manual to just track and prosecute the (one or two) REAL targets...
But all of this is more advanced, hence out of the context my simple scenario address...

Quote:
While I not agree with you when you say that ploint/lag/lead is pointless in DW, I completly agree with you with the rest!
But the aim of this scenario is to give a safe haven to the absolute beginner manual TMA skipper to practice and learn before going to do "real" missions... so to say! (solo missions, btw, not multiplayer ones).

Probably this scenario is absolutley uninteresting to the average skipper who already knows DW.

Last edited by banryu79; 09-16-16 at 03:29 AM. Reason: add title
Old 09-16-16, 03:24 AM   #8
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
I should probably check out this mission instead of just hijacking this thread
You, p7p8 and anyone that wants to comment and share his thoughts are welcome, no hijacking at all.
Just try to behave and don't scare any green skipper that comes to pass here!