Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-27-13, 03:24 AM   #1
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Which sim?

Hi all

I've been away from pc's and simming for far too long now. Went down the Apple Mac route but have now come out the other side . Anyhow, I've just recently bought a pretty capable lappy (i7 based, 8gb, and a 1gb Radeon card). I've got it hooked up to my projector for wall-sized fun . It's able to run DCS and CoD pretty well as I had a bit of a mess-around yesterday.

Anyhow, thing is, I'm completely out of touch with what's good and what's not. I don't have too much time on my hands, so want to put the effort into whatever is gonna give me the best overall experience. I am drawn to DCS's Warthog, but, if I'm totally honest with myself, probably don't have the time to learn how to fly the thing. Same for Black Shark 2. Have considered the Mustang, but it just seems a bit "out of sorts" with the world it's been dropped into.

I do tend to prefer the slower, seat of the pants, type flying. I love WW1/WW2 combat. As above, I've downloaded CoD, and I've already got Rise of Flight (sort of, I've found the case but the disks gone awol. Assume I can just download off the site and activate with my code?).

My internet connection is lousy, so it cannot really be trusted to allow online combat, so I'm really after a pretty good single-player experience. My shortlist seems to be:

Rise of Flight - If I can just download it and reactivate?

Cliffs of Dover - I've got the up to date version off steam yesterday. Does it need much 3rd party patching to bring it up to spec?

DCS's Mustang - Does it sit as oddly as it appears?

Flaming Cliffs 3 - Thinking it might give big rewards without the need for a degree in aeronautics.

War Thunder - Looks terrific. Is it online only? (I have the console version, Birds of Steel, and it is very good)

Any other sim I've overlooked - Please feel free to pipe up.

There, I think that's enough to be going on with . Thanks in advance
BilboSmeggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-13, 03:35 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

For Cliffs of Dover get the Team Fusion patch from the Air Tactical Assault Group (ATAG) site.

Rise of Flight should be okay with your key and downloading.

P-51 by DCS is great, it is beautiful, but it is a DCS product and so still isn't a 'jump in and fly' aircraft, but out of all of them it is the simplest.

Flaming Cliffs 3 I've not played yet, but is attractive and yet more simple to fly than the other DCS stuff.

Don't know if any of this helps you, but in order of preference for me I'd go RoF, FC3, P-51, Clod.

Edit: Oops, forgot War Thunder. It's more game than sim, and it is online MP play only.
Old 05-27-13, 04:42 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

There still is Falcon. For BMS free upgrade, you'd need to have an old Falcon 4 original disc for installation, can be found sometimes at ebay, or such 2nd hand places. Else, if failing on the CD, there is Falcon Allied Force, in itself a solid and great simulation still, just not with the tremendous visual upgrades of the BMS package.

The major argument for BMS is the now fully detailed clickable virtual cockpit. In fact, there is no 2D cockpit anymore.

Falcon, the old classic. This thing seems to never stop flying. And that is good! And still the best campaign simulation on the market - after 16 years now, I think.

Built for eternity?
Old 05-27-13, 05:23 AM   #4
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Thanks both for the heads-up. I shall patch CoD later and see what goodies it brings. I did kind of think that War Thunder would be online shenanigans, so I shall rule that out. Looking forward to re-trying RoF as I believe it has gone through a few updates since I last fired it up. And it was pretty good back then . It's only a matter of time before I take the plunge and bag the Mustang as I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. Will I be able to blow the dust off my old Sidewinder FFB stick or do I need to invest again?

As regards Falcon 4, I've actually got the boxed retail version upstairs with the giant manual etc. I had heard that it had been heavily updated and was now a joy to behold. Thing is I'm not all that fussed about learning a highly complex jet sim. I remember it being a huge learning curve back in it's day. I'm quite a bit older now and my capacity for learning/patience has depreciated accordingly . I may try to get it working/patched though just for the sake of curiosity .

Skybird........... Good to find you still stalking these forums . You still flying Condor? I so loved the flight-modelling in that sim. Don't think I found anything else that came close. Just a shame that it aged like it did. Haven't visited their forum for a long time. Last I checked people were getting fed up waiting for Condor 2 to materialise. Might have to blow the dust off the old girl and have another ridge-soaring session
Old 05-27-13, 06:12 AM   #5
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Just been reading up on DCS's Mustang, got trigger happy, and now have a copy winging it's way towards me from Amazon Just couldn't help myself. Will I need another joystick or can I press my MS SW FFB2 into operation?
Old 05-27-13, 06:13 AM   #6
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

I don't think FFB on the old Sidewinders works on Win7 (so prolly not 8 either)

Treat yourself to Thrustmaster's Warthog HOTAS.
Old 05-27-13, 06:23 AM   #7
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I don't think FFB on the old Sidewinders works on Win7 (so prolly not 8 either)

Treat yourself to Thrustmaster's Warthog HOTAS.
Oh, that's a bit of a bummer. It's a great stick . Oh well...... I may need a small lottery win to be able to bagsy a Thrustmaster Warthog. Is there a current joystick that won't break the bank that would be suitable for the Mustang? I don't really need all the bells and whistles of a modern fighter joystick for a WW2 plane. And has FFB been shelved completely these days?
Old 05-27-13, 06:44 AM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

I have a relatively simple Thrustmaster T. 16000 which does okay. I don't know much more about FFB on modern sticks, I know a lot of PC wheels have it so I'd think there were sticks out there too.
Old 05-27-13, 06:53 AM   #9
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Thanks for that. I'll have a bit of a nose around and see what's what. May have a bit of a selling session and try to grab the Warthog stick. Trouble is, I'll then be obliged to buy the matching sim. And then I can kiss my life good bye, lol.
Old 05-27-13, 07:07 AM   #10
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Yep, it is a life-sucker!

Whatever you get, enjoy!
Old 05-27-13, 09:26 AM   #11
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Bugger it! In for a penny, in for a pound and all that....... Just thought I'd save myself all the "shall I shan't I" agonising and have just ordered the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. Looks like bread and water rations for the foreseeable future
Old 05-27-13, 10:02 AM   #12
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Nice one, once set up it should see you for life. Now to get the best out of it you need DCS's A-10C and a lot of reading.
Old 05-27-13, 10:03 AM   #13
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

And if you don't like it I'll buy it off you, at a heavily reduced price of course.
Old 05-27-13, 10:30 AM   #14
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Of course
Old 05-27-13, 10:40 AM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboSmeggins View Post
Bugger it! In for a penny, in for a pound and all that....... Just thought I'd save myself all the "shall I shan't I" agonising and have just ordered the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. Looks like bread and water rations for the foreseeable future
I want the Warthog HOTAS!!! You're lucky.

They also make a special chair for it.