SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-17, 05:22 AM   #1
Japo32
Watch

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
Default Your noise profile as Cold Waters?

Hello,

I am new to Dangerous waters. I am learning through videos, and the RA mod that have some tutorials on it.
I also do have Cold Waters, and in it, when you have selected a contact, in the sonar station it says you as the sound profile of your enemy, also your sonar (active or pasive) profile number that you have in relation with the contact selected. Those numbers go from -50 to 50, and beeing below 10 garantees your submarine to be undetected to the enemy... so you can modify your speed or profile the way you want.

I suppose that has to be an arcade feature of Cold Waters, that I don't see in Dangerous Waters anywhere. Or am I wrong? Does exists anything like that in Dangerous Waters? and if so, how to use it?

Thanks!
Japo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 12:18 PM   #2
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 3

Cold Waters was designed to let the average gamer experience naval combat, so they included that feature to make it easier to stay hidden, which is the sub's major defense.

DW is a study simulation, so it won't have that.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 05:22 PM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

In stock 1.04 DW only the OH Perry frigate and the Seawolf show the SNR (signal to noise ratio) of the sonar contact or bearing on which it receives. That basically means how loud it is to you now. It doesn't say how audible you are to others. It is the closest equivalent you'll get to those numbers in Cold Waters.

It mostly shows low numbers, often flipping between 0 an 1. So of little use really. The visual line in the waterfall is more telling of the loudness.

The DWX mod changes the interface so some other units also show that.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 04:40 AM   #4
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

On real subs there is the ability to calculate propagation loss, bottom bounce and convergence. There is a good picture in Friedman's US Submarines since 1945 that shows a Mk81 display doing exactly this. I do know that desktop computers were carried aboard for this very purpose as well.

In Cold Waters, the values are estimates based on known sonar performance for ownship and estimates of the enemy's equipment performance. I'm pretty sure you could write software in BASIC or assembler to perform this sort of calculation even on very old hardware with kb-range memory.

And DW is not a study simulation - it is a survey sim, albeit a hardcore one. But it's still an entertainment product and as such Sonalysts must have been limited in what they included, so as not to get into trouble with the government. Even DCS A-10 had to leave out a lot of classified stuff from the simulation.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 12:39 PM   #5
Japo32
Watch

Downloads: 78

I see what you mean... So I think I need to be 5knots everytime I hear something near.

Really thanks for the explanations!
Japo32 is offline   Reply With Quote