Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-27-07, 10:19 AM   #16
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

IL2:1946 is a combination of all the available IL2 games. IL2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion, Sturmoviks over Manchuria, Pe-2, Pacific Fighters and as a bonus there´s some new jets and other crazy stuff.

I havent played other than Pacific Fighters for a long time, before the 1946, so IMO the AI is more difficult in ´46. They dont do the circle-fighting so much anymore, but actually use the speed to their advantage. Some times they even get close to the ground to try to shake you off.

And as the 1946 is the newest product on the series, there just might be some patches and/or new stuff that works only in 1946.

IMO, extra 18€ isnt a bad price to pay for it.

Here´s what IGN Review had to say about it:

Presentation 7/10
Some lovely bonus content for the UK release, including a 450-page plane guide. Excellent toilet literature.

Graphics 7/10
Still passable today, but with the series about to be surpassed by Oleg's latest title, IL-2's 2001 visuals are beginning to sag.

Sound 8.5/10
As ever, audio has been a series strongpoint. Volumetric trickery makes those engines hum just like planes, which is handy because that's what they are.

Gameplay 9/10
A near flawless flight model, improved upon in this latest version. IL-2's spectacular damage system still impresses with ease.

Lasting Appeal 8/10
Fall into this hard enough and it'll swallow your life, dynamic campaigns create random and highly replayable scenarios, and player made content is widely available.

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 10:58 AM   #17
Janus
XO

Downloads: 25

You are right 18€+ is not a bad price for the whole Il2 series. But I know that for me the major drawback will be the non-clickable cockpits in Il2.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 11:04 AM   #18
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Yes, that´s something I didnt like in the begin. But I soon forgot it, as there´s really no time to tinker with the buttons when you have two Messerschmitts on your tail.
Old 01-27-07, 12:31 PM   #19
Tikigod
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28

You can fly the B-17, B-29, and other heavy bombers only in 3rd person by adjusting a config setting. I have flown with friends to carpet bomb areas in formation. They are fun to bomb with because of their heavy loadout. But, you can only fly them in 3rd person mode which really makes it difficult. There isn't a bombsite view either so you have to guess when you drop your bombs in 3rd person. The AI control your gunners so if you fly close formations you are usually well protected. I doubt we will ever see cockpits and 1st cabin views of the american bombers. Maddox avoids them like the plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
I wonder how B-17 II compares to the IL-2 series, fighter wise (Me-109, P-51 and stuff)?
Can you fly the B-17 in IL-2, too? Is it better, worse than B-17 II (I think it must be worse as B-17 II is focused on the B-17 but I still do not own both of the games, I am still waiting for both games to turn up in my mailbox).
Tikigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 12:48 PM   #20
Dowly
Lucky Jack

The IL2´s main theatre has always been the battles in the east, there really isnt even a campaing for the USAF bombers other than the carrier based ones. So that explains pretty much why there havent been interest of doing the cockpits for the US heavy bombers.

But the new game in the works will most likely have B17s, maybe not in the stock game but as a part of an expansion pack.
Old 01-27-07, 09:26 PM   #21
dean_acheson
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 42

the game's great, there was/is a bombsaway.net site with some good d/l for the game.
dean_acheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 12:41 AM   #22
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Shockwave. They are the ones that re-worked Rowan's "Battle of Britain" into "Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory". They are indeed a rather serious company.

Yes, they did have the code to B-17, but...a few months ago they announced that they have cancelled the project
Ahh! Did they cancel MiG Alley 2 too? I don't care for WWII sims as much as I care for the Korean war. Speed coupled with gunnery skill - nothing else matches that in history! I loved MiG Alley. I just hope there will be a MA 2.

-S
Old 01-28-07, 01:27 AM   #23
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

This was a freat game althow its a little dated these days.

If you like variety, you wont like B17 TM8th tho.
Old 01-28-07, 03:13 AM   #24
Janus
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
If you like variety, you wont like B17 TM8th tho.
This statement is so easily portable to SHIII
I mean the dynamic campaign in unmodded SHIII is totally boring, every patrol has the same objective and all you get to hear from BdU is "be more aggressive" or "good job".

At least B-17 II has a better crew and vehicle management.
Old 02-02-07, 02:04 PM   #25
Janus
XO

Okay I finally got my B-17 2 copy, and I have a question:
Is it possible to control the gun turrets and bomb sight without a joystick? Arrow keys don't work and the manual does not help here...
Old 07-10-07, 08:47 AM   #26
kvbrock82
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 240

i dont know if you will read this janus but yes there is a way, however i forgot how.. its been ages.. in fact im thinking about digging up the game again cos im starting to miss it since i got hooked on SHIII again... i would recommend a joystick though

i think there are options somewhere to let it know that u are using the keyboard to control the turrets
kvbrock82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 09:35 AM   #27
dean_acheson
Ace of the Deep

i would say try bombs-away. They still have, or had, half active forums.

that or possilby sim-outhouse.
Old 07-10-07, 01:54 PM   #28
Chock
Sea Lord

Still a bloody great game, and very immersive in terms of interaction and managing a successful happy crew. The cockpit controls are pretty accurate too. Also the B-17 2 terrain is better than some far more modern sims, and can actually be used to navigate to the target, which is more than can be said for most other flight combat sims. Probably got the most realistic implementation of a WW2 aircraft's bombsight as well. If it had multiplayer, it would blow IL-2 out of the sky, but even without multiplayer, it is without doubt one of the best combat flight sims ever.

Find additional skins for many Bomb Squadrons and Groups here:

http://glewis.us/v7th_Recon/Fabs_Skins.htm

Also you'll need this utility to use the skins, and it will also unpack all the graphics files in B-17 2 if you're feeling artistic:

http://www.checksix-fr.com/bibliothe...=detail&ID=256

Chock
Old 07-10-07, 02:41 PM   #29
dean_acheson
Ace of the Deep

If I could find a good 100 BG skin, I'd probably break this baby out.

Has anyone used this with Vista yet?
Old 09-05-07, 10:59 PM   #30
Officerpuppy
Engineer

I used to have this game a few years ago, unfortunately I sold if off since at that time my rig was crap. I'm currently dl it again via a website, if I get hooked again, might buy it again from the site

I totally forgot about this game, someone menttioned in another part of the forum about WWII flight sims and the first game to pop into my head was B-17
Officerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote