Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 09-10-08, 03:18 PM   #121
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpector
:hmm: Hmm, my best guess is...

when it's ready

So you are telling me it will get here just after it arrives? :hmm:
Old 09-10-08, 06:36 PM   #122
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpector
:hmm: Hmm, my best guess is...

when it's ready

So you are telling me it will get here just after it arrives? :hmm:
I would say that would be pretty close.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Is it here yet?? Is it here yet?? Is it here yet?? Is it here yet?? Nope, not yet
Old 09-12-08, 12:44 AM   #123
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
If he means he emailed and was barked at by the OFF mod team, then I wouldn't be surprised. I've said before that many of the people who belong to their forum and who are part of the mod team have ego issues and trouble with arrogance. They won't admit that when Rise of Flight comes out, their mod will no longer be the best WWI flight simulation out there.
That's basically it. "It'll be ready when it's ready! don't ask us anymore." They probably get that question a lot.
Jackass. I hate these modders who respond with that "When it's ready!" bull****. At least TRY to give us an estimate. Game companies do it all the time, so if they can do it, you can too...
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 01:53 PM   #124
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

I can see their annoyance over getting the same question over and over again, but I never, EVER find an excuse for them to be rude about it.
Old 09-16-08, 04:44 PM   #125
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
I can see their annoyance over getting the same question over and over again, but I never, EVER find an excuse for them to be rude about it.
It would be interesting to find out how many callers are rude TO the developers.

I imagine they get some pretty rude callers "demanding" answers.

I might get a little snippy after putting up with rude callers for a few hours.

Does not make being rude right though, but does make it understandable.
Old 09-16-08, 09:19 PM   #126
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If he means he emailed and was barked at by the OFF mod team, then I wouldn't be surprised. I've said before that many of the people who belong to their forum and who are part of the mod team have ego issues and trouble with arrogance. They won't admit that when Rise of Flight comes out, their mod will no longer be the best WWI flight simulation out there.
That's basically it. "It'll be ready when it's ready! don't ask us anymore." They probably get that question a lot.
Jackass. I hate these modders who respond with that "When it's ready!" bull****. At least TRY to give us an estimate. Game companies do it all the time, so if they can do it, you can too...
the difference being that game companies EMPLOY their developers to turn up to work and give at least 8 hours a day on the project. This means they can add up how long they think it will take by knowing how much code a dev can handle in that time, plus some fat for troubleshooting, plus testing time, again in the alpha stage with usually paid labour to come up with an estimate. And they still can't come up with an accurate estimate. How many games have shipped on the date the devs said it would? Ever?

I'm not aware of too many modding teams that have the luxury of paid staff that would allow them to make even a not very accurate estimate of when a mod will be ready. :P

Why (particularly when you are not getting paid for your efforts), would you put yourself thru the pain of setting a date, not meeting that date because your graphics guy goes AWOL for a month, then copping all the flak from the community when you don't meet the date. It will always be far easier to roll out the standard line.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 07:18 AM   #127
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Some bugger must be getting paid there gonna charge $50 a copy

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 03:35 PM   #128
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Just wanted to say that I got P2 running on new Core2. Looks good but not as good as I thought.

I also posted some questions about the installation of P3, not really conclusive answers but at least they have realized they must invest some work:

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthread...19#Post2595919

TIP: I would wait until the reports come in and for the time being, enjoy P2.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 04:25 PM   #129
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos
Some bugger must be getting paid there gonna charge $50 a copy
EXACTLY.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 06:56 AM   #130
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

As I said I went out and installed Phase 2 on my new pc.

Being of a somewhat over cautious, opressive convulsive nature I keep everything, so I still have all OFF files and patches backed up. Or so I thought. I found out that I don't have the 1GB skins installer anymore.

But I still have the skin files themselves (on my old pc in the installed and backupped version) and quickly found out how to use them. Save a lot of harddisk space either because you do need only a few files, not the full 2 gigabyte (guess that will come handy too with Phase 3 which has >10 GB textures).

Get the DDS viewer plugin from NVidia.

All you have to do then is locate CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields/campaigns/CampaignData/Skins folder, and copy the the files you want into it. So if one still has the skins it is not necessary to install the full package every time.

I have made unhistoric change in the form of a - imo good looking - Albatros V skin that works for Albatros early 1917 (which had no good skins imo). I did this by making some minor changes to Off_Alb_DVa_ace_t_Jasta 40s_Helmut_Dilthey.dds (minor changes at the wheels and the hump behind the pilot), if someone is interested let me know ..

Old 09-30-08, 07:10 AM   #131
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Let me still reiterate that if you can still get Phase 2 it turns CFS into an excellent sim.

Now I only must make up my mind about what I want to fly, atm I cant decide between Nieuport 17 and Albatros. The Nieuport is an absolute beauty. Then I also like the Sopwith Pup. For 1918, the Pfalz and Focker DVII are also excellent. However must say I never fly the Camel or SE5A (though I really liked the latter in RB) there is something wrong with the textures or models, that I can't put my finger in.

Some remarks concerning performance: Runs fine on the Core2, no probs so far with dual core. E8400, 4GB and ATI 4850 (everything at stock speed) the game runs well with everything maxed out, except scenery set to 4 and I think I disabled shadows too. Filtering set to 4x AA and 16x AIF.

However, this is also the first game that I have ever seen to make even this relatively new system sweat at times. I see some micro stutters during takeoff that I can't track down yet, I am suspicious that there is some bottleneck either in the memory interface or when loading data from harddisk, although my harddisks are very fast. Well I could test if the stutters go away with some fsb overclocking, but on the other they don't really disturb, and they go away after a micro second, they're only what I still miss from perfection.

Old 09-30-08, 07:42 AM   #132
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Here some proof as to why I think the Nieuport 17 is the most beautiful plane in OFF:

Old 09-30-08, 12:30 PM   #133
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

GE--
Good to see you again!

Regarding your posts on SimHQ about constant error messages in OFF2. I am told that to get rid of those you have to go into workshop and click on the button for "disable warnings" or something like that. I'm not at my home computer, but I did that and almost all of the error messages went away.

If you need more answers about OFF2 or 3, I would go to www.sim-outhouse.com A lot of the developers seem to hang out at that site.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 12:49 PM   #134
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Anybody want to loan out their OFF2 disk or sell ot?
Old 09-30-08, 02:05 PM   #135
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Anybody want to loan out their OFF2 disk or sell ot?
Where are you? If you are in the States, send me a PM with your address and I will burn a DVD for you. You will need a copy of CFS3, too.

If not in the USA, go to www.sim-outhouse.com, look for the Over Flanders Field forum, and ask someone to burn a DVD for you. I have seen players from the UK, NZ, Australia, Germany, and France on that site.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote