Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 06-13-10, 09:57 AM   #1
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Processor and RAM

Kc I don't want to sound like a party poop but your processor is awfully slow with barely 1.15 gigahertz????? Coupling such a great graphic card to such a slow processor is akin to putting a Toyota Corolla or a FIAT engine in Porsche or Ferrari body. You'll have all the beautiful flashy car body with paltry engine performances.You need a processor with at least 2.4 gigahertz otherwise you'll be enjoying your games in beautiful slow motion.... You're also low on RAM I would advise minimum 2 gbs of RAM (3 or 4 would be best).

What makes games and downloads run well, fast and flawlessly are basically these 3 essential ingredients; processor, RAM and graphic card.

Cheers

Old 06-14-10, 07:19 AM   #2
KnightsCross
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Kc I don't want to sound like a party poop but your processor is awfully slow with barely 1.15 gigahertz????? Coupling such a great graphic card to such a slow processor is akin to putting a Toyota Corolla or a FIAT engine in Porsche or Ferrari body. You'll have all the beautiful flashy car body with paltry engine performances.You need a processor with at least 2.4 gigahertz otherwise you'll be enjoying your games in beautiful slow motion.... You're also low on RAM I would advise minimum 2 gbs of RAM (3 or 4 would be best).

What makes games and downloads run well, fast and flawlessly are basically these 3 essential ingredients; processor, RAM and graphic card.

Cheers
Tanks Mate
I think I will just have to save my ass off until I can afford something better

Thanks to everyone for your excellent advice
I have been able to play TvsT much better albeit with slow fps[2 to 5] with your help and I am very grateful to you all

Darren
Old 06-14-10, 10:19 PM   #3
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default PC Performance

KC, For an extra 2 gbs of RAM you'll probably pay $ 75.00 as for a faster processor $ 125 so count a maximum of $ 200.00 although you could probably find something decent around $ 150.00. Just 1 extra Gb of RAM and a 2.2 ghtz processor would give your games a big boost especially with your new graphic card.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 02:51 PM   #4
KnightsCross
Bosun

Which one

Hi Gents
I have been saving for a new pc and have saved $300 in the last 3 months, half way to one of these below. I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference with these 2 pc's and if they would be good for our games. They are the same price I just don't know what makes them tick, although they seem to both have the things that I have learnt from all the advice given by you all so far. Thank you again for your advice, I think I'm now on the right track.
Cheers
Darren

AMD X4 Quad Core 630 4G DDR3 500G (4GB 500GB) 22" LCD

$698Au

ASROCK N68-S3 M/B
Supports AMD Phenom/Athlon/ Sempron processors
Supports high performance Dual Channel DDR3 1600(O.C) memory upto 8GB
Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025/nForce 630a

• AMD AM3 Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz CPU
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 500GB SATA HDD
  • Dual Layer DVD Burner
  • ASROCK N68-S3 Motherboard
  • Nero DVD/CD Burning Software
  • Norton Internet Security (3 Month Trial)
  • 22" LCD Screen
  • Keyboard and optical mouse
  • No Operating System
  • Power Cable
  • All necessary drivers for installation

Intel Dual Core E5400 4GB DDR3 500GB/4G 500G GT210 22"

$698Au

• Intel Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, GIGABYTE G41MT-ES2L MotherBoard, DVD Burner
  • Nvidia GT210 512MB Video Card
  • 22" LCD Monitor
  • Keyboard and optical mouse
  • NO OPERATING SYSTEM
  • Nero DVD/CD Burning Software
  • DVD Playing Software
  • Norton Internet Security (3 Month Subscription)
  • Power Cable
  • All necessary drivers, CDs and manuals
Old 06-17-10, 11:13 PM   #5
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Choice of PC

Overall they're both pretty similar even in price however I would give the edge to the first one but only if you can swap the Nvidia Ge Force 7025/630 graphic card for another one.Didn't you buy a brand new ATI HD4670?If yes then it would be perfect as the Nvidia 7025/630a is an older generation card which does not support Enhanced video and would definitely be a stepback game-wise.

With the first one you can expand your RAM to 8 gbs which the number 2 pc does not appear to offer.This is good.The processor is slightly faster on the first one too; 2.8 vs 2.7 gghtz

You would need to have an OS though that would help with downloads and stuff.You can always recycle your old XP or get a free Linux-type system if you don't feel like buying Windows 7.

For these reasons my choice would be number 1.

Cheers
Old 06-18-10, 02:13 PM   #6
KnightsCross
Bosun

Tanks frinik, Chucky & morttheslayer
I decided to wait on the card and go for a new system. I'm on a pension so you can see I've been saving pretty hard, so in about 3 months I should have something good. Your advice has helped me understand what I need and has been a great help. This will be the first system I have got for myself as the pc I'm using now is my Sons, it has been his study pc and has well served its purpose. My Son is still off work from his accident, he was very lucky and so am I to still have him. He wants to upgrade his pc in a different direction to me, so it's a good time for me to get my own and I think I will run XP because I want the pc for gaming mostly and saying hi like I am now.
Thank you so much for your help, as I get closer to buying I hope you don't mind me showing you again before I part out 6 mths of hard savings
All the best
Darren
Old 06-18-10, 09:54 PM   #7
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Welcome Kc

KC you are always welcome for advice, tips, chat, suggestions or even stories. I am sure you must be excited like a kid at the idea of getting your new pc

It´s a good rig too with the specs you described and a brand new ATI 4870 you´re going to play TvsT, Steel Fury, Panzer Elite, T72 etc in great details, with high fps and very smooth running....Once you get your pc don't forget to install DirectX9C as most of these games require it and your pc will likely come with either Direct X10 or 11 (although you don't have an OS pre installed on your pc.).Better check with the retailer what drivers come with your pc of if there aren't any?

Cheers