SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-17, 09:36 PM   #1
Able72
Captain

Downloads: 299
Uploads: 0
Default Trying to Run SH4 Uboat Missons update

Ok, I'm stumped. I'll spell it out as best I can.

I am on a work laptop (they have some kind of redirect for the user files that backs up those files when I'm in the office). The fact that I shouldn't make use of a work laptop to play games is beside the point. I'm on vacation and brought it along to get some little work done and to play SH4.

I can install SH4 and patch to 1.4 just fine.

When I try to run the U-Boat Missions update it seems to run ok, but after running the install for the U-Boat Missions if I check the properties on the .exe file for SH4 it still says version 1.4. I can't figure out how to work around this issue and get it to install correctly so I can run it. Any ideas?

*edit* The OS is Windows 10

Last edited by Able72; 05-28-17 at 09:46 PM.
Able72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 08:56 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you install the game into C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific \ ??? If so, that is a "protected" system folder. Try to re-install the game into a different folder, like when the choice of folder comes up, edit the path to get rid of the "Program File (x86) \" part so that you end up with C:\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific instead.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 10:25 AM   #3
Able72
Captain

No, I installed it to c:\Games\Silent Hunter 4

*edit* I have also tried running as administrator with both the SH4 install and the UBoat Missions add on.
Old 05-29-17, 12:36 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

I'm looking it over, I bought the download version of 1.5 which has SH4.exe file date Feb 3 2013. The 1.4 file date is Nov 29 2007. Version on both files says 1,4,0,0 and they are both 1,992 kilobytes. However the launch screen shows 1.4 in the lower right corner for the earlier executable, and 1.5 in the lower right corner along with a different start screen when I launch the game. I would try starting the game and see if it works.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 03:54 PM   #5
Able72
Captain

I've done that, multiple times. I get an error.

"The procedure entry point ?TokenzieAndReturnCollectionDeletable@String@@SA?a V?$DynamicVector@PAD@@QBD_NPAD@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Games\Silent Hunter4\sh4.exe
Old 05-29-17, 03:59 PM   #6
Able72
Captain

I'm betting the root of the problem lies with the folder redirect, is there any way to change where installtion files go to decompress temp files so it is not in the user folder but in some other folder on the drive?
Old 05-29-17, 04:21 PM   #7
propbeanie

Copy and then start the update executable in the game folder. It may well be looking for the game "automatically" in the C:\ Program Files (x86) \ folder... Did you get to the license verification screen yet?

Old 05-29-17, 04:28 PM   #8
Able72
Captain

Yeah, new problem introduced.

I did once, after installing the game to my wife's computer, then copying the file to mine, ran the .exe and got the activate screen, went to copy and past the key and now I can't run or find the .exe. Seems something decided I was trying to pirate the game and now I don't even have read permission for the file, even though I am an administrator on this laptop. I've tried repeating the whole process, uninstall SH4, reboot, install SH4, update with UBoat Missions, copy over the files from the installation on my wife's laptop, still get the "You don't have permission" error. Then when I go to look for the SH4.exe it isn't in the folder. I have hidden files and folders checked as visible, it just isn't there. I don't get it.

*edit*

Ok, so I've changed the temp folder location and uninstall and reinstalled. Still getting the issue with the procedure entry point that would seem to indicate that it didn't install correctly.

*edit*

If I try to run the UBoat Missions addon file a second time, it indicates that it has already installed 1.5.

*edit*

Ok, followed your suggestion. Got "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item" and now the SH4.exe file is no longer visible in the folder and the shortcut says the file isn't there anymore. What the hell???

Last edited by Able72; 05-29-17 at 04:49 PM.
Able72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 04:40 PM   #9
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Wild guess, is this the download u-boat missions from Amazon? That's what I bought, and my experience was that it worked like the US congress. The actual installation wouldn't work at all, I had to use the Amazon downloader, which then proceeded to read the location of the original install from the system registry with no option to redirect it to another folder. When I had to do a system restore to fix another problem the 1.5 version would no longer work - it's looking for registry keys that no longer exist, so I got an error message whenever I tried to launch 1.5.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231318

I might try to reinstall it at some point in the future, but for now I just gave up and went back to the 1.4 version. That one was originally a download from Direct2Drive, which had no DRM minefields.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 04:52 PM   #10
Able72
Captain

I didn't get it from Amazon or STEAM, but it is a download version. I think Uplay or Direct2Drive. Not sure. It has been a while.
Old 05-29-17, 05:09 PM   #11
propbeanie

OK, if you've got an older Ubisoft version, you'll most likely have to go the wonderful Ubisoft tech support route. That's what I had to do. Be prepared for much frustration and repition of yourself and the issues in multiple postings... I'm trying to remember what all I had to go through. Do you happen to remember your "account" information with them? You definitely have to start a "ticket" at https://support.ubi.com/en-US and toward the bottom of the page is "Sign in to start a support case". The old installer no longer works, and they will have to send you a link for a new version of it. The new version will only be good for a limited amount of time... like two weeks, so be ready to install it...

Old 05-29-17, 05:11 PM   #12
Able72
Captain

Damn. I'm afraid once I describe the problem to me I'll get told "Not my problem, speak with your network administrator"
Old 05-29-17, 11:12 PM   #13
Able72
Captain

So, I'm back to the original problem. I run an install, run the UBoat Missions addon installer and get the "No Entry Point" error again. Anyone else have some ideas?
Old 05-30-17, 10:09 PM   #14
Able72
Captain

Ok. Update. Got the game to install successfully by running the installation in Safe Mode.

The problem now is a new one and has been elevated by Ubi.

Apparently I managed to trip some DRM when I got it to run once and it brought up the activation screen and when I went to copy and paste the key in, Windows 10 closed the activation screen. Since then, any time I get it installed correctly when I go to run the game, the computer changes my permissions on the .exe so I don't even have Read permissions and makes the SH4.exe a hidden file.

Anyone have this happen to them before?
Old 05-31-17, 07:20 AM   #15
propbeanie

Mine did similar on Win7-64 several months ago. I had to get a new copy of the UBM Add-on from Ubisoft. But it took some talkin'...