SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-15, 07:29 AM   #16
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Nice job figuring this out

Hopefully all will continue to run smooth
Nope All went south Again darn it
Old 01-29-15, 11:02 AM   #17
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

Looks like the Sniper 5 motherboard also suffered from this issue with Windows 8 and I put it down to a board fault Lets hope they get this sorted with windows 10
Old 02-26-15, 08:27 AM   #18
Blebby
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

I don't know why people bash windows 8 so much and love windows 7 instead. I find them almost the same. They look the same except the start menu, which now has another function (useful on tablets and useless on pc). And all the old start menu functions (like shut down, control panel, search etc) are moved to the charms bar to the right. Is it that hard to take this slight change ? I runs way faster than windows 7 and I haven't got any blue screens or crashes for 3 years and I haven't formatted my drive in 3 years also. I can't say that for win 7. Windows 10 will get some windows 7 layout back since people nagged so much.
Blebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 11:41 AM   #19
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

People bashed 8 due the fact that the new menu with those tiles and the new way of navigating toward the basic pc features without the start button simply does not belong on a non-touchscreen device like a laptop or desktop. I never had issues with Windows 8 using it on a smartphone or tablet as with the touch screen as it works great.

but navigating it with the mouse which I tried on a non-touchscreen laptop and a desktop at work my experience was a nightmare...why remove a button I happen to use the most to acces the basic fuctions of my PC...as I like my background clean I usually open programs and games via the start button, go to my control panel or Hard drive and shut of my PC. This waving my mouse to the edge of the screen to acces different features of my PC just doesn't work for me. If I could have that screen stuck on the edge I would've probably done so...but wait isn't that what a start button is for?!

So instead of a more sensible option when you install the new windows that you get to pick how the user interface should be like ''Win 8'' or ''Classic Windows (No tiles, clean desktop and start button) your stuck with an interface design that many PC users have voiced their opinion about which where pretty much about ugly tiles and lack of start button. What I am actually voicing is that companies like Microsoft should be reminded what a PC stands for with the emphasis on the Personal bit. People like to personalize their Computers so Windows IMO should be as well be able to handle such a simple thing. If you like the Tiles...fine, if not have them removed, if you like to wave your mouse to the edge of the screen fine, if you prefer a button there you go.
Old 02-28-15, 03:31 AM   #20
Blebby
Swabbie

I'm not impressed about the tiles. In fact, I don't even use them. Maybe sometimes the weather app. Not having a start menu wasn't a deal breaker for me and the rest is win 7 business as usual.
Old 02-28-15, 03:44 AM   #21
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

@ Hunter ICX: I keep telling people over and over that 8.1 addresses that very problem. There are at least two programs I know of that add the Menu Button back in. I use the one called Classic Shell and I use Win 8.1 exactly the way I did my old XP system.

But nobody listens.

Do I have complaints? Yes. They screwed up Media Player. They screwed up the User Account Control. There are fixes for both, but there shouldn't have to be. Despite these complaints I have no real problems. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-28-15, 07:00 AM   #22
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
Nope All went south Again darn it

Sorry to hear that.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 10:58 AM   #23
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
@ Hunter ICX: I keep telling people over and over that 8.1 addresses that very problem. There are at least two programs I know of that add the Menu Button back in. I use the one called Classic Shell and I use Win 8.1 exactly the way I did my old XP system.

But nobody listens.

Do I have complaints? Yes. They screwed up Media Player. They screwed up the User Account Control. There are fixes for both, but there shouldn't have to be. Despite these complaints I have no real problems. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
I did listen, I'm aware of some fixes and the 8.1 update and that's why I said ''Bashed'' instead of ''Bash'' as I'm pretty aware that some people are quite happy with it now. I wouldn't say no to 8.1 now but I wouldn't shelf out another 150-200$ for a Windows 8 License whilst I got Windows 7 as I find it for myself that it shows minor improvements to justifiy the price tag.

Windows 10 license seems to be free for the ones that update to it within the first year of release so I see little reason to complain about that
Old 03-01-15, 11:37 AM   #24
Blebby
Swabbie

I don't understand this "free on the first year" thing. What happens on the 2nd year ? Do I have to buy it ? How is this any help ? A discount would of been nice. It's not like it is subscription based.
Old 03-02-15, 05:15 AM   #25
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blebby View Post
I don't understand this "free on the first year" thing. What happens on the 2nd year ? Do I have to buy it ? How is this any help ? A discount would of been nice. It's not like it is subscription based.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...e-and-at-work/

Quote:
Windows 10 is changing that. As announced last week, current users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for no cost. Microsoft says that this will be a limited time offer that will run one year from the release of Windows 10; we honestly wouldn't be tremendously surprised to see that limited time offer extended.
Subsequently, and in some ways even more importantly, those new Windows 10 machines will continue to receive updates "for the lifetime of the device—at no cost." Those paid major version upgrades that Windows has historically had will be going away; once you're on the Windows 10 train, you're on the Windows train, and you'll continue to receive a steady stream of updates and upgrades until your system stops working and you buy or build a new one.
Basically, you're being offered a one time upgrade ticket to update your Windows 7 and 8 system to Windows 10, once you upgraded that license will last till the day you build/buy a new system or unfortuntely your system stops working. The offer for a free upgrade license from Win 7 & 8 to Win 10 is only 1 year after release.
Old 03-02-15, 11:00 AM   #26
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
I wouldn't say no to 8.1 now but I wouldn't shelf out another 150-200$ for a Windows 8 License whilst I got Windows 7 as I find it for myself that it shows minor improvements to justifiy the price tag.
That's an excellent point. Why pay a bundle just to get what you already have?

Quote:
Windows 10 license seems to be free for the ones that update to it within the first year of release so I see little reason to complain about that
That seems pretty cool.

What does bug me in 8.1 are the changes made to a couple of parts, mainly Media Player. They took out the best parts of that program and when anybody complains they waste everybody's time explaining why it's better now. One advantage of 7 seems to be that MP 12 is integrated into Windows 8 and you can't replace it with an older version without breaking everything. I'm hoping 10 will resolve that.
Old 03-03-15, 02:04 PM   #27
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
@ I use the one called Classic Shell and I use Win 8.1 exactly the way I did my old XP system.
Great program. Thanks for posting Steve

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 05:08 PM   #28
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

I refuse to use W8, with or without fixes. It is a hybrid OS and as such I have no use for it.

With that said - W10 I like. Like, but not love. Its in tech preview so some things will change - and that is good. The "sliding side bar menu" frames that pop up really can screw up gaming (especially when using dosbox). Sleep mode that I don't want sticks around and is used way to often, etc... Other than that and a few other tweaks under the hood that are currently locked (can be unlocked but not worth it) its a solid OS.

They seriously need to stop pushing the cloud though - even installing requires "online credentials" (though madeup email accounts work).

By the time it "goes gold" I suspect a lot of the issue will be resolved.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 09:18 AM   #29
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I was reading on some tech site Win10 will be made up of XP Win7/8 to what percentage they did not say. And some new stuff as well.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 04:15 PM   #30
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I was reading on some tech site Win10 will be made up of XP Win7/8 to what percentage they did not say. And some new stuff as well.
If that's true I'll be looking for an error message like this.

Tags
windows