SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-15, 06:58 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Windows 10: What You Need to Know

I thought this might be useful to some of you:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/01...-need-to-know/

Quote:
Windows 10 vs Windows 7 – Start Menu vs Start Screen & Continuum

If you’re reading you for whatever reason decided that upgrading to Windows 8, Microsoft’s current operating system, wasn’t what you wanted to do. Maybe you were comfortable with the features Windows 7 offered. Perhaps you were very attached to an app that was included in Windows 7? Whatever the reason, you’re now looking at taking a major leap.

Ironically, Windows 7 users who upgrade to Windows 10 are in for less of a big shock than they think. You may have heard of Windows 8’s Start Screen. In Windows 8 everyone was forced to interact with the Start Screen, which completely takes over your entire display. Windows 10 users can expect a Start Screen that matches what’s available in Windows 7. It may look different but the idea is the same. To the right of recently used files and folders is an area reserved for the Live Tiles of apps download from the Windows Store.
I guess a main reason why I did not like the look of Win 8 with all those ugly tiles--I keep a clean desktop, I am not one of those folks who have 300 icons on the desktop. When I have no programs (what they call apps now) running, there are exactly 0 icons on my desktop. I can click the Start button if I want to start a program. I'm sure some people like a cluttered desktop, with icons or tiles, I'm just not one of them.
Old 01-25-15, 07:29 PM   #2
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

I had a few issues getting the Win 10 Tech Preview install but I like it now that I use it more and more.

8 and 8.1 still make me scratch my head when I need to help others with their system. 10 seems a bit easier to navigate for me.
Old 01-25-15, 07:55 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm sure Win10 will be an improvement, but nobody seems to listen when I say that 8.1 fixes the Start Screen problem. It's there if you want it and not there if you don't.
Old 01-25-15, 08:06 PM   #4
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
..but nobody seems to listen when I say that 8.1 fixes the Start Screen problem. It's there if you want it and not there if you don't.
Exactly. I'm still learning to get around but I seldom use the Start Screen. Straight to desktop every time.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 08:34 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
I'm sure Win10 will be an improvement, but nobody seems to listen when I say that 8.1 fixes the Start Screen problem. It's there if you want it and not there if you don't.

Yes, I don't mind 8.1 at all.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 08:55 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
I believe you, I just don't have any hands on time to accept the changes. I guess I am going by what it looks like, and it looks funky, like Microsoft suddenly decided my 23" desktop is a mobile platform and I want to touch the screen instead of the mouse. You know me, I want everything to stay the same as Windows XP
Old 01-25-15, 09:55 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I believe you, I just don't have any hands on time to accept the changes. I guess I am going by what it looks like, and it looks funky, like Microsoft suddenly decided my 23" desktop is a mobile platform and I want to touch the screen instead of the mouse. You know me, I want everything to stay the same as Windows XP
My laptop is only open first thing in the morning when I turn it on. After that I'm using my Eclipse keyboard, Hanns-G 28" monitor and 5-button mouse with the laptop's lid closed. It doesn't look funky to me because, as I showed earlier, it opens to the desktop. The so-called Start Screen has a couple of things on it, in very small tiles, and I mostly use it to get to the Apps Screen, which has every program on the PC as a List, not Tiles.

You can easily set up yours to be the same, or whatever configuration you like. It's very versatile.

Oh, I was also using a thing called Start Menu 8, which was provided by IoBit. I wasn't overly happy with it, and now my Start Menu is from Classic Shell, which is free and very XP-like.

Old 01-26-15, 06:03 AM   #8
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Compat?

I'm more concerned with what will run under Win 10. More and more of my fave games have been rendered to scrap by Win8 and 8.1. Sad, but the future looks rather dim.
Old 01-26-15, 06:50 AM   #9
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

I love the look and the way Windows 8.1.2 works and like Steve I also have it set to go straight to the desktop.
But here is the thing sometimes when using Windows 8.1.2 something or a program that runs fine most of the time starts slowing down or failing I could not work this out until I installed the board in my latest build.
This board monitors the boot-up from first turn on to OP running. most of the time all is ok but then every now and then it shows error messages AE and then D4 so what this is saying is that my PCIe slots on my Mother Board are out of resources. These slots are used by my Graphics cards how strange is that.
This don't happen with any other Windows Version so I hope Windows 10 works like 7 and runs everything fine.
Old 01-26-15, 09:11 AM   #10
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Right on Big Boots, when I was on the hunt for a new PC in one shop I asked I'm looking for Win8.1 too which the sales person said don't you mean Win8, there is no Win8.1..

I use the desktop screen 99% of the time.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-15, 10:11 AM   #11
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I love the look and the way Windows 8.1.2 works and like Steve I also have it set to go straight to the desktop.
But here is the thing sometimes when using Windows 8.1.2 something or a program that runs fine most of the time starts slowing down or failing I could not work this out until I installed the board in my latest build.
This board monitors the boot-up from first turn on to OP running. most of the time all is ok but then every now and then it shows error messages AE and then D4 so what this is saying is that my PCIe slots on my Mother Board are out of resources. These slots are used by my Graphics cards how strange is that.
This don't happen with any other Windows Version so I hope Windows 10 works like 7 and runs everything fine.
Never had the issues you are mentioning, though I run a new laptop with 8.1.

Back in the Day

Old 01-26-15, 10:43 AM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
I'm more concerned with what will run under Win 10. More and more of my fave games have been rendered to scrap by Win8 and 8.1. Sad, but the future looks rather dim.
Yeah, that's why I have several older computers running DOS, Win 95 and Win XP in my office I don't throw the old ones out.
Old 01-26-15, 04:10 PM   #13
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Never had the issues you are mentioning, though I run a new laptop with 8.1.
Hi RDP nice to hear from you anyways yes after many hours today re-installing Windows 8.1 To try and track this issue down I can report successes in this matter.
After opening the bios and searching through the different screens I found that in my Bios Features Screen near the bottom of the page I found a section called "Windows 8 Features".
And for some reason Window 8 had decided to set this option to Other O/S. so I selected Windows 8 and then in the screen Peripherals I found the PCIe Configuration was set to AUTO which should be good to go but just to make sure I change it to X4 and re-started my computer The X4 setting caused the bios to fail as expected and the computer re-set again and booted but the PCIe items did not work also as expected so another re-start and changing the X4 setting back to auto and then re-starting the computer started up as good as gold so it looks like all it needed was a kick in the ass.
I have tested the Computers boot up several times in the last 3 hours and all is good.
Old 01-26-15, 07:54 PM   #14
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I have tested the Computers boot up several times in the last 3 hours and all is good.
Nice job figuring this out

Hopefully all will continue to run smooth

Back in the Day

Old 01-27-15, 11:33 PM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

So, with the news that Win 7 and 8 user will get a free upgrade to Win 10, I guess I am wondering should I get that new laptop now...and upgrade to Win 10 this fall?

Tags
windows