SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-09, 05:15 PM   #16
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

If you use the periscope and use the same feature on the ship each time this is a super accurate method. Quite slow though. (Yes, a shameless plug )

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147719
Old 11-02-09, 10:42 PM   #17
Snestorm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubse View Post
I've figured out a way to calculate the AoB (at least I think so) but you need to know the targets course. Here's an example:

Your course is 21 degrees
Your target is in your scope bearing 25 (that's at 46 degrees)
Your targets course is 245 degrees

Roughly you're heading NNE (between 0 and 90 degrees) while your target is heading WSW (between 180 and 270 degrees)

The Angle-on-Bow is a simple mathematical solution. You already have one angle, 25 degrees, which is the angularoffset of your periscope in relation to your course.

Since the AoB can not be more than 180 degrees and the angular sum of a triangle is 180 degrees, you can subtract 25 from 180, leaving you with 155 degrees left for the two other angles.

Because that we already have both the sub-course and the target-course, we can calculate the 2nd angle by adding to 90 degrees, the target-course offset from 270 degrees and the sub-course offset from 0 degrees, which is 90 + 25 + 21 degrees, so our 2nd angle is 136 degrees.

This leaves us with these results
Angle 1: 25 degrees (our periscope offset relative to our course)
Angle 2: 136
Angle 3 (AoB) = 180 - 25 -136 = 19 degrees. Jeez :p

Maybe a little more work can reduce the complexity of these reductions... other, maybe larger, triangles and compass-quadrants: A for Sub & B for Target: in my example, A is I & B is III and vice versa.
You got it. Get his course and speed. Figure out your approach and solution Mathamaticaly. Gather as much information as possible on the surface, and mathamaticaly.

Super simplified example:
Target Course: 000
Target Speed: 7 Knots

Wanna make a bow shot, from his 090? Simple.
Set the UZO at 000.
Go to the TDC (not the notepad).
Bearing: 000 is already entered by the UZO.
AOB: 090 Starboard.
Speed: 7 Knots.
Range: 1.000 Meters.

Now you've got to maneuver to make the shot.
Your course should be 270.
Point your UZO or Periscope until the Gyro Angle reads 000.
When he reaches that point, let him have it.
The closer the range, the more neutralized are any small errors.
Although 800 meters is optimum.
Old 11-02-09, 10:49 PM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubse View Post
I've figured out a way to calculate the AoB (at least I think so) but you need to know the targets course. Here's an example:

Welcome aboard the forum, mate.

Neal
SUBSIM
Old 11-04-09, 02:35 PM   #19
nubse
Nub

Downloads: 48
Default AoB calculation

Here's the example I've used. If you print the picture and measure the angles, it should fit my calculations.

Last edited by nubse; 11-04-09 at 02:47 PM.
nubse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 11:02 AM   #20
nodlew
Engineer

Downloads: 572
Default Jason--thank you!

Jason, your explanation of how to use the AOB tool on the TDC--using it to input the target's course to establish AOB has completely changed the game for me. Thank you very much.
nodlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 07:31 PM   #21
psykopatsak
Medic

Downloads: 27

the OLC mod has a wonder-ring that you just click on, and then you just drag a little here and drag a little there and voila!
psykopatsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 07:50 PM   #22
nodlew
Engineer

Downloads: 572

Yeah, I use the OLC AOB finder in SH3 and a nearly identical device for SH4 UBM for the U-Boots, but I was spraying torpedoes all over the place in SH4 in the Fleet Boats. Speed was a snap--course was a snap, but my AOB guesses were wildly inaccurate. Jason's post explains how to use the TDC to find course and speed, which provides AOB after the target's course has been input into the TDC. This is an SH3 thread, but I'll take the info where I find it. On second patrol now--I've seen nothing but fishing boats in over two months of patrols, but when I find 'em, they're gonna get, and get it good.
nodlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 10:11 AM   #23
grolls
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Jason> View Post
my way of explaining AOB goes something like this: ehem!

first thing you do is lock and ID the ship right.

the first step you do after the ID is use the stadimeter (height and bearing) tool and send the result to the TDC.

now you have some time till your next stadimeter check and you should now set your torpedo(s) for the type of ship your firing at (look at how deep their boat goes in the water aka *draft) remember to open the doors of the tubes you want to fire (quick key is "q")

once the torps are ready go back to the parascope and use the stadimeter again and once again send the results to the TDC.

the next step is to get the speed. since you have two distance and bearing results in the TDC, it can calculate the speed for you. simply go to the right most option on the round data input device and click the obtain speed button (next to the red send results button. dont forget to press the red button after it calculates the speed )

once you send the speed to the TDC, look at the black dialog box. your crew convienently tell you what the enemy vessels course is. this is the angle on bow and the last piece to the firing solution. to input it, go to the position keeper (other setting where the torpedo options are) and you'll see the two dials with boats. the bottom one is you the top is the target. on the target dial, you should note that there is an inner dial and an outer dial. using the angle on bow tool (middle option) on the round data input device changes the inner dial (and the boat) of the target on the position keeper. notice also that the targets front end is always on zero of the inner dial.

EXAMPLE: now, say the crew dialog says the target is on course 090. all you have to do is turn the angle on bow till the boats nose (or the 0 from the inner dial) matches the E on the outer dial (or whatever course the crew says in the dialog box). if the crew says the target is on course 325. turn the angle on bow till the nose and inner dial number 0 line up with the outer dial number 325. its really that simple.

now you have to just press the position keeper button to complete the solution. its the grey button on the bottom right of the position keeper (dials area). when it turns red, your ready to fire. send just the bearing once more from the distance option of the round data input device by just pressing the red send button while locked on the target (dont do a height measurement unless you see the targets has changed heading, in which case, if you have time or can be quick, redo the solution)

select your first (or only) setup torpedo tube and send em' swimming!

i suggest you try these steps over and over in the torpedo training mission till you get hits consistantly. best of luck! i hope i didnt confuse you . just take your time and read every step and you will send many a merchant to the deep.
I do not have the option in my SH4 gold edition version...
grolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 12:21 PM   #24
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > grolls
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Highly Recommended SH3 > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > 99.99% Stable > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote