SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-17, 10:22 AM   #1
Hawk777
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Help Bring A Noob Up To Speed?

Hey all back in the day I loved sub sims and the last one I played was SH3. I grew up with Aces series 688i Fleet Command Sub Command etc. I think Sub command might still work on modern OS haven't tried though.

That being said I watched SH4 came out and heard it was terrible and SH5 looked bad aswell.

I recently saw Cold Waters and it kinda got me back in the mood to play a sub game. I am thinking of getting CW but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I have seen that some mods have been made for SH3 to make it better? I have my old discs but dont really wanna go find all the patches.

My Questions Are
If I just get it on Steam can I still mod it?
What mods are the best?
I am running Win 10 will it work?

Thanks

Last edited by Hawk777; 06-22-17 at 10:32 AM.
Hawk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 10:34 AM   #2
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65

SH4 with TMO, RFB, or RSRDC mods is quite allright. No problem with SH4 on my part.

To answer your question:

- I can play SH3 on Steam just fine, with Windows 10. Just make sure to run it under XP Service Pack 3 compatibility + run it as Administrator and you will be good.
- I currently play with GWX Gold edition, but it is no longer being worked upon. I am very tempted to try LSH when I finish my current career, though.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 11:23 AM   #3
Fanuboat
Torpedoman

Downloads: 51

SH III on steam works just perfectly with or without mod no problem at all.

Even installing SH III here >>> D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3

no problem at all. Use SH III commander and set the roll back option to ON.
Avoiding save will avoid a lot of problem like crash when you load a save or stuff like that..

Anyway go on and have fun really !
Fanuboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 12:45 PM   #4
Harm
Seaman

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk777
I have my old discs but dont really wanna go find all the patches.
If you have sh3 on cd or dvd, install sh3 and see which version you have. If the version is 1.4, then you can easily install all Megamods.

If you have a version smaller than 1.4, you can find the patch here. ftp://hartmuthaas.no-ip.org/Public/S...1.4%20emea.rar

User: Maik
Password: Woelfe

If you have a Starforce protected version, you must use the No DVD patch. You can find it here. ftp://hartmuthaas.no-ip.org/Public/S...ower%20Pack.7z

Extract the 7z archiv, you find the No DVD Patch in the SHIII_1.4b DiscScratchProtector Utility folder.

If you decide for the Steam version, the further procedure depends on the used megamod.
For example to install LSH3, it is necessary to copy SH3 out of the Steam folder. For information on installing LSH3, look here. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219068
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote