Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-03-18, 12:13 PM   #1
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Default Llama blood clue to beating all flu

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46078989

I say good luck to them. I must admit I'm fighting a cold at the present moment and flu is dam right awful, had it a few times in my life.

This bit was interesting..

Quote:
The older you are the worse your immune system gets, and the less effective the seasonal flu vaccine becomes.
So why push it on pensioners as it seems to be rather a wast of time. If pensioners want it by all means give them it and for those who do not so be.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 04:25 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

I'm required to get them or be forced to wear a mask at work all the time during flu season.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 05:22 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I have a very simple recipe for preventing cold. It reduced the frequency by which it finds me, by 80% or so. In a time window where earlier I would have gotten lets say 5 colds, I now get just one, or even none.

1. I wash hands regularly when at home. And more often than before. Even when I think or know I did not do much with my hands.

2. I clean doorhandles, light switches, remote controls, telephone, keyboard, mouse , chair's armholds, two to three times a month with alcohol: as I think of it. Nothing exaggerated.

3. When being in town or shopping in stores, I practice discipline to never touch myself in the face with my hands before having cleaned my hands. Especially not eyes and lips/mouth. Fingerfood forbidden, that goes without words.

All this goes under the title "hygienics". Fanatism or fetishism is not needed. Just the discipline to establish a base pattern of how often to care for these things regularly, frequently.

Flus can be prevented this way, too, mostly. A real flu, a real influenza that knocks oyu out with high fever and forces you into bed with a pulsating head and miserable feeling, I have not had since - since my childhood I think. But if you are exposed to many contacts with people due to your job, for example, I would consider to get a seasonal flu vaccination. Another push for your chances.

Simple. And it works. Promised. When some bastard coughs you in your face or neck however, well, than you are screwed. Maybe do not join big flocks of people, eh?! And show said bastard his place, of course.

What has caught me repeatedly, however, were assumed mild food poisonings from chicken meat and vegetables, I mean germs that were not sufficiently cleaned off or killed by solid heating up. This gets fundamentally underestimated. Just days ago I read that in Finland they had frequent epidemics in schoos, and found that they were caused by a germ often spread by crudités, in this exmaple it were uncooked carrot salads. At the latest when the epidemic is worse and is about something more serious like EHEC for exmaple, nobody laughs anymore .

Last edited by Skybird; 11-03-18 at 05:40 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 11:14 PM   #4
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Spot on Skybird, I wash my hands with Dettol antiseptic when those close to me have the flu and I usually escape getting it for 10 to 15 years. (no flu shots)

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 06:37 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46078989

So why push it on pensioners as it seems to be rather a wast of time.
You'll be a pensioner one day....if you're lucky enough to live that long and lets not forget, most pensioners have made financial contributions into the 'system' for many years.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 02:24 PM   #6
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
You'll be a pensioner one day....if you're lucky enough to live that long and lets not forget, most pensioners have made financial contributions into the 'system' for many years.
No issue from me on that jim but why push it when the evidence as highlighted in the first post shows its not worth ramming it. My parents are getting on and they are fed up having this message rammed their way, they said if they want it they get it and do not need the message rammed home like junk mail.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 11-04-18, 03:28 PM   #7
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Interesting development. I'm firmly in the getting flu and pneumonia shots for old people camp. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal to get them. Not that big an expense either.
Old 11-05-18, 07:01 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
No issue from me on that jim but why push it when the evidence as highlighted in the first post shows its not worth ramming it. My parents are getting on and they are fed up having this message rammed their way, they said if they want it they get it and do not need the message rammed home like junk mail.
I'm turned sixty now but I must admit that a few years prior I suddenly started receiving texts on my mobile regarding free flu jabs from my GP surgery and never could figure out if it was age related or because I had recently been identified as a type 2 diabetic.

I simply delete them now.

Old 11-05-18, 09:32 AM   #9
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm turned sixty now but I must admit that a few years prior I suddenly started receiving texts on my mobile regarding free flu jabs from my GP surgery and never could figure out if it was age related or because I had recently been identified as a type 2 diabetic.

I simply delete them now.
Yea they get texts and letters and reminders and if they were on the Internet which they will be soon they will get emails. I know its all done in the best interest of pensioners but please don't treat them as kids and respect them.

Old 11-05-18, 12:13 PM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat