Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-04-11, 02:36 PM   #1
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Oh DCS here I come again

After a new OS install comes another try at DCS: Black Shark, after purchasing a new joystick, I figured why not get DCS: A-10c too.

So now I have two sims to try and wrap my brain around , although flying the A-10 should be cake.

Anyways onto the questions!

First, in A-10c I use my HAT(Little nub thing on joystick) to view the cockpit, the moues to click, and I have the mouse wheel(Z axis) set to zoom. The only problem is that it doesn't zoom when I use it. After looking at the axis tuning, it only moves about a milimeter when I use it. So it doesn't go through the full possible axis the game allows, I'm fairly certain this is why I can't zoom, what's wrong, and how do I fix it?

Secondly I need to program the joystick with the joysticks software,
it has 12 keys and a shifter(allowing 24 keys). The dual throttle will of course be the throttle, the HAT for view, and the little scroll wheel for trim, but I have no clue what to set everything else up too(besides the trigger being fire ).

I need suggestions for things I should have on the joystick, both for BS and A-10.
Old 10-04-11, 03:29 PM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

A scroll wheel is just 2 buttons, it's not actually an axis.

As for what to program there, I always have a look at the real thing and duplicate it as far as practical. There's depictions of the cyclic and collective in the BS manual, and for A-10 you can find all the relevant commands under the 'HOTAS' commands.

Pretty sure you'll want to use the hat for functions though, using the mouse to look around. Kinda need to control both the view and the cursor at the same time if you want to click things around the cockpit. Either that or memorise a ton of keys... bit of an ancient method imho.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 03:55 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Do some flights. You will notice all by yourself functions that you find hard to reach with the cursor while right hand needs to remain on the stick - these functions vary according to people'S definitions of what is easy to manage and what is hard to handle.

Those you consider to be hard to handle, go to the HOTAS .

And get TrackIR. Now in the era of virtual cockpits of this high qulaity, it is a must-have. It also wins you some programmable buttons more on the stick (those you would else need for view control).
Old 10-04-11, 04:28 PM   #4
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Realized the issue with the mouse zoom was the fact I needed to turn the mouse view on.

I guess I'll have to mess around and see what works on the joystick.

I gotta say, the A-10c tutorial is better than the one I remember in BS(would be great if they updated the BS one).

As for TRACK-IR I might try turning my built in webcam into one before I actually spend the money on one.

In other news, just completed my first flight(at the end of the Start-up tutorial). Who needs tower permission!?
Old 10-05-11, 05:23 AM   #5
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike88 View Post
Who needs tower permission!?
Never had it yet!
Old 10-05-11, 10:18 AM   #6
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

I was thinking of getting the X-52 next week to add 2 more hats, but then I realized with 12 buttons and a built in modifier that allows me to bind two functions to the same button, I don't really need more hats, one will suffice.

I'm also trying to get a physical copy of the manual, don't know if I want to buy the official one and pay for shipping or just print 300 sheets double sided.

Maybe I can see if I can find a print shop that will print a PDF for me. I honestly hate reading anything that's not a website on the computer(Manuals, Books, Magazines, etc.), plus it's hard referring to the manual while in game.
Old 10-05-11, 03:36 PM   #7
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

If \ Operates the radio, is it worth have the HOTAS MIC buttons bound?

Also, I drove off the runway at one of the airports and got stuck(was trying to turn around), I turn off wheel steering, the plane jerked and I think my wheel came off(all I can see is the stick, and there is some garbage behind me) What happened? Why would I possibly get stuck(even with the engines at full)?

Do airports have designated frequencies, or does it change on the mission?
If they have pre-determined, is there a list?
Old 10-06-11, 07:54 PM   #8
Arclight
Navy Seal

If you go off in the grass you get stuck, it's a dcs thing I guess.

If you have realistic comms, you'll need to use to right radio to call someone.

Frequency list is in the manual... somewhere. Think at the bottom. You can click an airport on the F-10 map as well and get a frequency.

Old 10-12-11, 10:42 AM   #9
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Default Black shark autopilot questiond

I have some autopilot questions in regards to black shark.

1. What trimming modes does everyone use? The one where you need recenter before you can make adjustments, or the other one?

2. Do I need to use the collective brake?

3. What do the route mode and descent mode switches do?

4. If I'm having problems using the rudder to change heading while in auto hover, couldn't I just turn off the heading hold use rudder without trimming and then turn heading hold back on? Assuming I'm in a perfect hover.

Last edited by Spike88; 10-12-11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
Spike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 12:03 PM   #10
Arclight
Navy Seal

1. Recenter. The normal mode always had me centering the stick too late, adding more input on top of what was trimmed. Kinda annoying in some circumstances.

2. Er, kinda. If altitude hold is engaged, it acts as the "trimmer" for that channel. Keep it pushed while changing altitude, release at new altitude to send that to AP.

3. Route puts you either on course or on track (selectable) to the selected waypoint. The first 5 waypoints created in the editor are automatically programmed into the nav computer. The airfield you take off from is always stored as well.

Descent mode does an auto descent if you keep it pressed, use in combination with hover hold. Keep in mind the AP has limited authority, so if it fails to descend you have too much collective applied for the AP to correct for.

4. Maybe... trim the new heading before enabling the heading hold again though. Note that such a procedure would get you booted out of the airforce (never turn off hold channels, end of discussion).

Try turning using Shkval and auto-turn instead, perhaps with the HMS to make bigger, instant corrections (as compared to slewing Shkval). I'd only trim a little rudder to not have to adjust AP input to line up Vikhr reticle. Never really tried turning the helo with rudder in a hover; if I'm in a hover I'm setting up an attack, in which case I have the auto-turn enabled.

And again: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170158

It seriously answers most of those questions in far more detail.