SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-30-17, 10:10 AM   #16
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
One of the main reasons now that I stick with AMD/ATI cards is that they are supported "out-of-the-box" on Linux, as the "official" AMD driver is in the kernel.
That's what picked the MSI/AMD combination for the motherboard: Linux compatibility. Nvidia is just a matter of habit and perfect Linux compatibility so far.

It's a fun time to be building a computer, except that the RAM prices are crazy right now. I started looking at 16GB of RAM for $157.00 and now it's $174.99 on NewEgg, over $190 on Amazon. We're getting hard by some Thanksgiving, black Friday, Cyber-Monday, Christmas season specials so I'm holding my fire as I miss the ability to run Silent Hunter 4.

I really look forward to seeing what I want to do with Ubuntu. I think the wiser choice is to go for LTS editions rather than having sometimes wonky upgrade paths every six months. If cool stuff comes out I can usually integrate them into the LTS edition anyway.

My really great USB wireless card, (ALFA AWUS036HN with directional 7db antenna) freaks out with the random MAC address "security feature" of Ubuntu 17.04 and above. There's a hack but it still didn't fix Steam last I knew. I haven't been able to play with it, which is missing a lot of fun.

I really want to know who thought that random MAC addresses were a great security thing. From a network administrator perspective, a MAC whitelist is a feature that enhances my security. Linux high muckey-mucks, overthinking the problem, think crooks will sit in my driveway, sniff packets for a few hours, clone a MAC address and get on my network. That's plain silly!

Real crooks work from the security of their underground bunker in Bali-Bali, working in their underwear and don't need my MAC address. In the meantime, my MAC address whitelist keeps everyone I don't want off my wireless network very well, thank you.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 10:18 AM   #17
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

YOU MUST BE A CAUTION GENERAL WHEN IT COMES, TO COMPUTERS BECOME A DECISION ON IT.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 07:00 PM   #18
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Ordered CPU, $99.99, $20 off. And Motherboard 99.99, $30 off. Memory is sitting at $195.00 and they can rot in Onkel Neal's basement dungeon before I spend that. Time is on my side......

Stuck the memory in the cart at Amazon and Newegg, then abandoned the carts with the memory still in them. Sometimes you'll get an e-mail offering a deal when you do that. We'll see.
Old 11-24-17, 03:51 PM   #19
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Memory prices crazy HyperX FURY 8 GB DDR4 2666 £131 US 174.68 Amazon

Paid £55 US 73.31 for the same thing same spec DDR4 Skylake 2666 Amazon DEC 2016 12 Months ago

Everything out of stock sellers taking advantage so prices unrealistic after Christmas and stocks replenish back to sanity
Old 12-21-17, 04:24 PM   #20
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Fired up the new machine last night. My video card is shot. Somehow, I must have taken a voltage spike through my UPS that wiped out the old motherboard, plus the video card. Yikes. Ordered MSI GTX 1050 Ti card and waiting.....again.

Saved $50 on the card, but why does it seem like I'm spending more money?
Old 12-22-17, 09:28 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Did you re-use your old PSU in your new rig? was it really old? I wouldn't reuse old PSUs. PSUs are like batteries, they have a life cycle, their longevity is limited.
Old 12-22-17, 10:13 AM   #22
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Did you re-use your old PSU in your new rig? was it really old? I wouldn't reuse old PSUs. PSUs are like batteries, they have a life cycle, their longevity is limited.
My PSU is only a couple of years old, EVGA 550W and my new setup needs a lot less than that. I could go with 350W and still be fine. These new CPUs and video cards are amazing.
Old 12-22-17, 10:41 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

"a couple of years"? That could be too many years, depending on the quality of components used in the PSU, and the total working hours it has logged already. PSUs loose maximum capacity safeties with the passing of life, and enduring heat. They may lose the ability to maintain stable power levels.

Just repüeating what I was told by a guy I kinew who really knew it better than I do. He ran very expensive rigs himself, and security-critical rigs for a company. He replaced PSUs every two years - prophylactically.

It may have been a spike that killed your mobo and GPU, maybe during the startup when you hit the on-button. Could be. If the PSu was too detoriated, it may have created an intiial starting spike too strong for the hardware to digest. There always is such a spike initially when switching on the power, but a PSU that is in good order should keep it below critical treshholds.

Also, the maximum output possible may suffer - maybe even signficantly - with growing age of a PSU. Its a wearing part. And many people underestimate the need fopr gpopod quality in tzheir PSU and stable power distribution.

All I mean to say is: it must not have been the PSU, but it could have been the PSU. If it has several years in its record already, I would not re-use it in a new system, its just a risk.