Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-17, 02:53 AM   #1
Savik
Nub

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default TWOS and the Sub icon on the map

Where is it now?, I can't plot a course without the sub icon and it seems to have been replaced or its missing altogether?
Please assist

Thank you
Savik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 01:28 PM   #2
desertdragon
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 4

I ran into this issue as well... The simplest way to restore the sub icon on the TAI map is to disable the real navigation mod via JSGME - this restored the sub icon for me and allowed auto-follow waypoint setting.
desertdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 04:06 PM   #3
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savik View Post
Where is it now?, I can't plot a course without the sub icon and it seems to have been replaced or its missing altogether?
Please assist

Thank you
Hi Savik
with real navigation you can not see your uboat and no other ship on the map ...disabled real navigation..... if no work post your mod list
Old 02-26-17, 05:05 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Savik & desertdragon
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Please don't discuss in this thread any potential issues caused by your own custom modlists and unsupported mods.
Also, make sure to pay special attention to FAQ and Tips section and feel free to ask in this thread for any additional elucidation.

The whole point of Real Navigation is that you have to do all plotting yourself.
Disabling Real Navigation will let you see your own boat and map contacts.
You might also want to take a look at the Wind & Smoke mod as well if you are not already using it.
You may also want to check out TDW's Options File Editor Viewer (OFEV) where you can make permanent changes to both the Navigation and TAI maps.
Further changes to these settings can be made on the boat but only last for that gaming session and then reverts back to the OFEV settings again.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 01:28 PM   #5
barrind
Watch

Downloads: 68

The black circle icon showing where your sub is and which appears on zoomed out levels, and the actual sub shaped icon which appears at close zoomed in levels, are actually small bitmap graphic files, with a .dds extension. Similar files are the squares for map merchant contacts, diamonds, triangles etc.

What the Real Navigation mod does is it replaces all these bitmap files with blank versions, so that nothing appears on the TAI screen or chart. If you want JUST the sub icons back you can add the original files back in yourself in a small custom mod, which you would load after the Real Navigation mod, which would in effect restore these icons back to default and you would be able to see your sub again, but not see map contacts or anything else which Real Nav disables.

I could tell you which files you need to restore but as Berbster says this does kind of negate what Real Nav is about. However, if you are happy to just see where your sub is, for your own enjoyment of the game then let me know and I'll list them. Then its up to you to create the custom mod yourself, which is actually very easy once you have the original versions of these bitmaps.
barrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 02:53 PM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrind View Post

What the Real Navigation mod does is it replaces all these bitmap files with blank versions, so that nothing appears on the TAI screen or chart. If you want JUST the sub icons back you can add the original files back in yourself in a small custom mod, which you would load after the Real Navigation mod, which would in effect restore these icons back to default and you would be able to see your sub again, but not see map contacts or anything else which Real Nav disables.

I could tell you which files you need to restore but as Berbster says this does kind of negate what Real Nav is about. However, if you are happy to just see where your sub is, for your own enjoyment of the game then let me know and I'll list them. Then its up to you to create the custom mod yourself, which is actually very easy once you have the original versions of these bitmaps.
The mod could be called "Real GPS Navigation" by XXX...

Seriously, isn't it easier just to disable Real Nav addon and map contacts in game settings instead of messing with dds files just to accomplish exactly the same??

To be honest, I simply can not understand people who just "shut in" mod which is actually called "Real Navigation" and then cry out loud "where is my sub?!"...

Brainless World of Warships like games are guilty for everything...

Last edited by vdr1981; 03-12-17 at 03:03 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 09:40 PM   #7
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

All nice and well but now with Twos 2.2 my supermark option seems gone/disabled. I need that to plot contacts. Can I switch it on in the ofev?
Old 02-16-18, 11:09 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I don't understand all this discussion: Don't you ask your navigator to put your sub mark on the map? I see this in tutorial videos all the time, and this doesn't work anymore?

Supermarks gone? How is this
Try to load a past supermark save file, this should get the marks in again, then erase and place new ones.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-16-18 at 11:19 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 03:11 AM   #9
Ashikaga
Commodore

Nope. Click on it, put arrow on map, click, no S.M. Fresh Twos 2.2 install.
Old 02-17-18, 06:16 AM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I don't know if this is the problem, but even without Real Navigation : Supermarks are sometimes reluctant to get on the map, you must zoom out the map first, place them, zoom in and then move the marks with precision. Save them in a file when quitting game from the messages pop-up window.

I always place a serie of marks for heading lines or calculated convoy positions where I put text in about spot time, speed, ETA etc. When I reload game I have all info at disposal quickly. (Without Real Navigation, I leave this one for students in Geometry...).

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-17-18 at 06:29 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 07:15 AM   #11
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Nope. Click on it, put arrow on map, click, no S.M. Fresh Twos 2.2 install.

Quote:
- To use "Supermarks and Nav Marks" UI features, you'll have to access to your navigation map with "M" key exclusively.
For always available Super and Navigation marks:
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 03:47 PM   #12
Ashikaga
Commodore

Superb Vecko ! Many thanks again !!!

I love how I can add txt to the supermarks. Sometimes when a ship is too far away, in grosse entfernung, I put a note on the map so I know there was one.