SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-09, 11:41 PM   #1
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12
Default Recognition Manual

Hi,

some time ago subsim member Doublefox programmed a great script that can create pictures of SH3 ships which look like hand-drawn. Perfect pictures for a recognition manual.

When I asked him about the script, he was so kind to share it and to help me to get it running on my machine. Using his script, I have created three pdf ship recognition manuals that might be of interest for others:

1. A manual for GWX warships
2. A manual for GWX merchants
3. A manual for GWX+MFM merchants

I followed closely Doublefox's design from this thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=916878

Color version:

Black/White version:

Download:

Color Version:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1201
B/W Version:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1200

http://www.bts-mods.com/?page=sh3user=LGN1

I want to thank Doublefox very much for the script and his help! Without his wonderful script I could not have created the rec. manual! So, all credits go to him, I just ran the script, collected the data, and put the stuff together. Thanks, Doublefox, for the great tool!

Here are some useful comments about the manual:

1.) As in real life the given data is not 100% accurate. The numbers are taken from the cfg files, so whenever there is an error in the files, it will be in the manual. It would be great if people could post correction when they find errors. I have rounded the tonnage to hundreds, the length and height to full meters, the speed to full knots, and the draft to tenths of a meter.

2.) The ordering of the warships should be easy to understand. Each section is ordered according to the tonnage of the ships. The small warships are divided in two types; the ones with one funnel and the ones with two or more funnels. I also have grouped the warships that look practically identical (and have the same length, height, draft). For instance, all three Hunt destroyers just have one entry. This allows to scan the manual much faster and still provides a unique identification (for the relevant data). In general, identifying warships should be possible very quickly now.

3.) The ordering of the merchant ships is more complicated. Again, the sections are ordered according to the tonnage. In the GWX manual the merchant ships are furthermore divided in ships with a centered funnel and ships with the funnel at the stern. Since in the GWX+MFM manual there are so many ships, another distinction is required. One section has the ships with a central funnel and combined funnel+bridge. The second section has also a central funnel, but a split superstructure. Finally, the third section contains ships with the funnel at the stern. The Type 32 merchant is in two sections because it is not really clear where to put it. Again, I tried to reduce the number of entries as much as possible by removing ships that are extremely similar and have the same data.

4.) A good way to get a feeling for all the ships (and for what to look for to distinguish them) is to go through the GWX+MFM manual and try to find the differences among all the ships. I have done this and it helps a lot to learn the differences of the ships and where to look.

5.) The ships in the manual have exactly the same height/length ratio than in the game (based on the numbers given in the game). A huge advantage of the manual over the ingame manual is that it allows to easily compare two ships and to get a general overview over the ships. So, very often an exact identification from a subgroup is not required because all ships in this subgroup have a similar height/length. Some ships have a strange ratio so I guess there is an error, e.g., Schüttgutfrachter (NKSEF=Coal Freighter).

6.) Unfortunately, I don't have a printer at the moment, so I don't know how it looks printed. If someone prints it, I would be happy to get some feedback (e.g. thicker arrows, larger letters,...)

Finally, I want to thank iambecomelife for all the ships and Doublefox for his great script. Identifying ships is a pure pleasure now!

Cheers, LGN1

Last edited by LGN1; 07-02-09 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Download link added.
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 12:06 AM   #2
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Very good work, LGN1.

I've been hoping someone would eventually work up a new, printable recognition manual for GWX 3.0/Community Units/IABL MFM.

I was wondering if it were not too difficult to add bow, stern, and 3/4 views starboard and port to make a more thorough and realistic manual?

I sure hope one of our resident Photoshop experts comes along and creates covers while someone else could do some historical-ish looking flyleaf, TOC, and "Using This Manual" pages, complete with bureaucratic wording, government stamps, and the usual stains from coffee and seawater.

You can always use Beyond The Shadows, bts-mods.com, for all your SH mod hosting needs. SWCowboy provides unlimited storage, private FTP access for managing your files, and even your own sub-forum that bears your name to talk about your stuff. Best of all, your files never get deleted unless you want them to be removed!

Just talk to him, Tuddley3, or CapZap1970 and they'll help you out with any questions or needs.
Old 06-14-09, 11:58 PM   #3
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi Graf Paper,

as I said, the main work was done by Doublefox! His script is really great!

Concerning bow, stern, and 3/4 views: I think the original books did not offer these views (We have to ask Hitman. He should know it Edit: Some info can be found here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=916878 . Unfortunately, most of the links and pictures are gone). In addition, the MFM book has 10(!) pages now with 101 different (!) ships! Adding all these views would make it really large.

I have added a very simple front page. However, I am terribly bad with graphics so I tried to make it as simple as possible. Adding the coffee part is simple. Just print it and play with it some time (I assume you drink coffee while playing) I have created the manual using LaTeX. If someone wants to have the LaTeX file, he should just contact me. Anyone should feel free to modify the manual if desired.

I have contacted CapZap1970 and I hope he will upload the manuals soon to BtS.com.

Cheers, LGN1

Last edited by LGN1; 06-15-09 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-16-09, 06:22 AM   #4
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

It would be quite a lot of work to add the differing angles of view for each ship. I was thinking of the in-game RM, where it displays the 0, 20, and 45 degree angles of view below the "profile", or the 90 deg. AOB view.

I still admire the clean, precise work you've done here and I'm eager to get a printed version as soon as I save a few dollars and make my way to the local copy shop. ( It's cheaper than the money I'd spend replacing my inkjet cartridge! )

I have Open Office 3, Vi, and Emacs. I'd love to tinker with the LaTeX files, if you're still willing to share.

Can't promise anything soon. I'm jumping through hoops with my activities at ComSubsPac and Mrs. Paper's (a.k.a "Der Furher") "honey-do" plans for me, now that summer is here.

However, I'd love to take a shot at trying to use my graphics tools to "age" the manual and try to dress it up to look like a real Ubootwaffe RM might have looked.

Even got my coffee cup right next to me on the desk for further "enhancements".
Old 06-16-09, 09:24 AM   #5
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

perhaps you might like my recog manuals on my filefront page?

they include the ingame pics with different angles
Old 06-16-09, 09:36 AM   #6
BulSoldier
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 40

If this comes out i will certanly print it and string the sheets together awesome !

By the hour !
BulSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 01:20 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper View Post
It would be quite a lot of work to add the differing angles of view for each ship. I was thinking of the in-game RM, where it displays the 0, 20, and 45 degree angles of view below the "profile", or the 90 deg. AOB view.
But did the real manuals have the angle views? I've only seen the ONI ones, and they have side and top view (but not always) along with some photographs.
Old 06-16-09, 02:44 PM   #8
BulSoldier
Samurai Navy

I am sure i saw once a recongnition manual in a doc movie for the uboats around in youtube where all the ships were fully black and only sideviews.Though i dont know if this is "oficial" rec manual.

By the hour !
Old 06-16-09, 09:09 PM   #9
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

concerning the real life manual, some information can be found here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=916878

Unfortunately, most of the links and pictures are gone.

Thanks to BtS and Capzap the manual is now available at

http://www.bts-mods.com/?page=sh3user=LGN1

Just a small warning: As I said, I don't have a printer, so if you want to print it, please print first just one test page and see how it looks. Also, please report back.

At the moment (practically) all numbers are taken from GWX 3, i.e., some of the values are wrong. I plan to release a corrected version in the future when I have more accurate data (the Averof is also still missing (the only ship missing)).

I also want to thank Doublefox again for the script

Cheers, LGN1
Old 06-17-09, 02:56 AM   #10
BulSoldier
Samurai Navy

It looks great but i think it is a bit too wide for a4 size.Maybe if there are only 2 ships per line on the sheet it will be better.I will try however to rotate the sheet 90 degrees in order to fit all.I will post the results later today.

By the hour !
Old 06-17-09, 03:20 AM   #11
BulSoldier
Samurai Navy

The manual from BTS is great ! It prints very nice.

Ok ive done all the pages from the normal merchant gwx manual. It is great, ive made a handbook cover texture.Though i ran out of ink and i will have to buy new cartridges soon.Anyway i will wait until the oficial version of MFM is out.Then i will make myself a full recognition manual handbook with bookcover

By the hour !

Last edited by BulSoldier; 06-17-09 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-17-09, 09:24 AM   #12
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi BulSoldier,

thanks for the feedback! I am sorry for not mentioning it in advance, the manual is intended to be used/printed in A4 landscape format (90° rotated).

Concerning the binding, I was not sure where to leave a bigger margin to bind the manual. I have chosen to make the page symmetric and leave some space at the top for binding, not to the left. The pages are quite dense so that as many ships as possible can be compared on one page. Please tell me if a larger margin is required.

Cheers, LGN1

PS: I might release a black/white version soon (less ink).
Old 06-20-09, 12:06 AM   #13
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

I have uploaded a new version to subsim. A few (not very important) values have been changed and the missing Averof has been added.

In addition, I have made a black/white version. Download links in first post.

Cheers, LGN1
Old 09-30-13, 02:28 PM   #14
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

I have uploaded another recognition manual version which I have created for myself some time ago. It's included in the color version download:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1201

It contains 19 pages with many colored entries and tables with sun rise and sun set times, full-moon dates, new-moon dates, speed tables, twilight times,... In addition, it contains short explanations of different 'tracking' methods in German.

The manual is especially useful in combination with this small mod:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1611

which allows to enter any mast height without much browsing of the in-game manual.

Regards, LGN1
Old 10-01-13, 09:49 AM   #15
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
It contains 19 pages with many colored entries and tables with sun rise and sun set times, full-moon dates, new-moon dates, speed tables,
Thanks a lot for this, LGN1

The speed table in your pdf is more detailed than Hitman's version and I kind of like your version.

I made a chart like this of it:

Is it ok to add this to my Charts addon mod if and when I get around to finetune it a little bit more?
sublynx is offline   Reply With Quote