SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-14, 10:31 PM   #946
enjoi
Sailor man

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Really Loving this Mod, glad I decided to try it. Better Graphics and realism all around.
enjoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 12:19 PM   #947
atleiker
Watch

Downloads: 44

Finally got SH3 to work with windows 7 and decided to try this mod after hearing about it for years.
atleiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 08:44 PM   #948
Tappedops
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Default White-Out with Hi-Rez Subs = (

Thanks Team NYGM and Hitman for keeping this sim at #1 for Lord knows how many years---Love, is what kept it alive.

Alls Well with the mod...Love comes to mind again--- only the hi-rez sub file puts a snow-white paint job on my ship---everthing else works fine, i even tried turning up my particle count hmmm---yes my machines a oldie but shes sees everthing else just fine---any clues? Thanks Crew...Many...
Tappedops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 09:59 PM   #949
Tappedops
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

Stand down all...Sorry Men---The texture qual high must be ON to see the hi-rez tex---duh---my bad... carry on Men...
Tappedops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 03:29 PM   #950
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi all,

I've updated my zigzag campaign layer for NYGM 3.6B (only one line changed). See here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3306

Regards, LGN1
Ok I have a question about this comment (made long ago). You see I am reading this entire thread before I dive into this incredible sounding mod as I want to understand most everything about it. 64 pages of reading...not too bad.

Stiebler (if you are still around),
You stated that the NYGM convoys long ago were already modded to have zig zags in them. If so, why would one want to use the mod from LGN1? I am just trying to get the big picture here.

Thanks and keep up the great work

EDIT: New question again for Stiebler, I see you were/are a fan of the "THOMSEN PARAMETERS APP" mod. Since I really like your approach to realism I assume I would like it as well. Is there a reason you did not include it in NYGM?

P.S. I have your book. I bought it long ago. Funny seeing you here! Cheers!

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 10-03-14 at 05:06 PM.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 03:48 AM   #951
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Lanzfeld,
Well, if you've got my book, I'd better answer. Have you got the original Airlife version or the revised Pen & Sword version?

NYGM zigzags - They have always been present (derived from the older RUb mod, actually), in the sense that the convoys make periodic deviations in course.
LGN1's convoys make much, much more frequent deviations in course. This creates a very large campaign_RND.mis file, with a substantial effect on second-stage loading times (after you exit from the 'office' to start a patrol). Not everyone wants that, so not included as standard.

Thomson Parameters' App - same argument applies. This app affects the manoeuvrability of individual ships. Not everyone wants this to be changed; some may have a better idea about how to do it (the App I provided had default values, but users could make their own changes.)

Enjoy NYGM!
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 07:24 AM   #952
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

I think it is the first one. "U-Tankers 41-45"? Great book, tons of research in there!

What is strange is that I read the book again a week or two ago before I decided to get back into SH-3 after a LOOOOOONG break (many years) and I come to find out you are the author!

If I may ask, what mods, besides the ones on the NYGM webpage, do you like to play with (if you still play)? Do you use both the Thomson Para mod and LGN1's mod? Anything else you recommend?

Do you guys plan on re-hacking the exe to see if you can find more tweakable goodness in there?

Also, I was a bit surprised to see that you didn't choose to use the damage repair part of the exe hack in NYGM. Is there a major reason for this? Keep in mind I have not played the game yet as I am still doing my homework and reading all the readme's. I am guessing that maybe the hack and NYGM damage system is about the same?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just giddy about rediscovering this game with NYGM and the exe hack!

Finally.....SH-5.....thoughts?
Old 10-04-14, 08:51 AM   #953
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Lanzfeld,

as Stiebler has pointed out the course changes are much more frequent. With the zigzag file it's about every 15-25km and without the file it's only every few hundred km, i.e., there will be most likely no course changes during an attack, see the threads mentioned/linked in the readme/download section.

With the zigzag file you will often see a course change screwing up your attack approach (esp. if you are using a 16km environment and have to dive at 10+km).

The file is indeed rather big, however, on my old computer (Pentium IV, 2.8GHz, 2 GB RAM) loading times have increased only from 3:10 to 3:25, i.e., by approx. 15sec. I think that's worth it. And BTW I also use it with the new ship parameters.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 04:24 PM   #954
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Lanzfeld:
Quote:
If I may ask, what mods, besides the ones on the NYGM webpage, do you like to play with (if you still play)? Do you use both the Thomson Para mod and LGN1's mod? Anything else you recommend?
Thomsen mod: sometimes.
LGN1 mod: sometimes.
I don't use other mods, excepting those on the NYGM web-site.

Quote:
Do you guys plan on re-hacking the exe to see if you can find more tweakable goodness in there?
H.sie has left this forum. I can't think of anything else worth adding. H.sie's main idea was to fix things that were obviously wrong, and which irritated him. My idea was to add components which had been present in the old AOD (Aces of the Deep), and were missing in SH3. So we were quite complementary.

Quote:
Also, I was a bit surprised to see that you didn't choose to use the damage repair part of the exe hack in NYGM. Is there a major reason for this?
The NYGM damage repair model is substantially different from the GWX model, which H.sie was using for his damage repair mod. H.sie's fix caused CTDs (crashes-to-desktop) with NYGM, so not used.

Stiebler.
Old 10-06-14, 08:08 AM   #955
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post

The NYGM damage repair model is substantially different from the GWX model, which H.sie was using for his damage repair mod. H.sie's fix caused CTDs (crashes-to-desktop) with NYGM, so not used.
Actually I have used H.sie's damage repair mod with NYGM for quite some time now. I haven't had any ingame CTDs just failed saves and even those are rare occurance.
Old 10-07-14, 02:31 AM   #956
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Obltn Strand:
Quote:
Actually I have used H.sie's damage repair mod with NYGM for quite some time now. I haven't had any ingame CTDs just failed saves and even those are rare occurance.
Interesting.
I carried out a series of tests in NYGM for H.sie, in which I created damage to a U-boat off Bergen by running it aground deliberately at different speeds to create random damage. I had many CTDs as soon as I tried to dock at Bergen, or abandon the game, although not every time. There were no CTDs without H.sie's damage model.
Perhaps subsequently H.sie changed the code.

Stiebler.
Old 10-07-14, 08:53 AM   #957
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

I have taken all kinds of damage without ctd. Only thing changed is fixing the damage. For example if one of my bow torpedo tubes are damaged it is fixed in bow torpedo room but shows in either bridge or bow cannon.

I will try to report if it's some specific damage that causes ctd.
Old 10-09-14, 08:46 PM   #958
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Couple of install questions here.

1. I see that on the website there is a 3rd flotilla mod. There is also one inside the NYGM3_6D patch. Are these the same or is one more up to date?

2. You have 3 base files that are installed in the order of Full Version, New, and 6D. There are the same mods in each of these (like AI harbor traffic). Do I just use the mod that comes with the latest patch (6D)?

I am still getting all my mods set up and testing in the academy. As soon as I figure out how to do the exe hacks I will start my patrols!

PS...anyone know if there is a PRINTABLE ship ID book with all the NYGM ships in it?

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 10-09-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 09:14 PM   #959
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Couple of install questions here.

1. I see that on the website there is a 3rd flotilla mod. There is also one inside the NYGM3_6D patch. Are these the same or is one more up to date?

2. You have 3 base files that are installed in the order of Full Version, New, and 6D. There are the same mods in each of these (like AI harbor traffic). Do I just use the mod that comes with the latest patch (6D)?

I am still getting all my mods set up and testing in the academy. As soon as I figure out how to do the exe hacks I will start my patrols!

PS...anyone know if there is a PRINTABLE ship ID book with all the NYGM ships in it?
The easiest way I know to tell whether a mod is the same or a newer version is to look at the dates of the included files. For instance, the 3rd Flotilla Mod included with NYGM v2.5 has files dated from 2007. The same files in the 3rd Flotilla Mod included with NYGM 3.6D has files dated 2013. Now, the files might be identical, but I know which ones I want to use.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 06:41 AM   #960
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Got it! Thanks.

Anyone have a PDF of all the ships in NYGM ID book?

Tags
torpedos through hull