Old 01-02-16, 08:57 AM   #1
RMeeuws
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
SHO Submarine Engineer

Dive...Dive..Dive
Emergency dive: Wall of Text incoming

Inspired by the Starship corporation project and Prison Architect I’ve started this project to develop a submarine building game.

To be clear this it not the classic strategical sub simulator where you drive and fight a submarine, this is above my skills (atm).

To continue the disclaimers: this is my first Unity project., I’m not good (understatement) at graphic design. And the project is very infant. I’ve started it in the Christmas holiday 2015.

Now that all that negativity is done lets focus on what the design goals are:
  • Different rooms types inside a submarine.
  • Layout and size of the rooms should be flexible, not fixed small,medium, large rectangular as in starship corporation.
  • Some rooms have to the be a specific locations. Conn needs to be below the Tower,…
  • Rooms are automatically surrounds by walls (‘bulkhead’ be better word?)
  • Each room should have specific requirements. Engine room needs fuel, battery needs running generator,…
  • Each room should also have dedicated crew required. Sonar needs sonar man, conn needs an officer and watchstanders,…
  • Submarine design is only valid if all required rooms are operational.
  • Using Kanban as project planning tool (invite only: board on Kanbanflow)
  • Using Git and Bitbucket as (private) repository, see below
  • Using Bitbucket Issues tracker to log bugs.

• Resources should ‘magical’ be available in required rooms. There needs to be a connection. Ex. The fuel tank is connected via a pipe to the engine room. Engine room is connected to the propeller via the shaft,…
  • (Almost) all rooms need electricity, so cables needs to connect them to the generator/battery.
  • Crew should be able to walk between there work, eating and rest location.
  • Crew cannot ‘fly’, only walk on the lowest space of a room. Stairs are needed to change floors.
  • Crew cannot walk were there is an item (pipe, cable,..)
  • As rooms have walls, they also need doors to allow crew pass to another room.
  • Crew has a timetable that determines where they should be (like prison architect)
  • There should be 2(or more) timetables so rooms are always staffed.
  • Provide different submarine outlines.
  • Provide different submarine classes . Let go nucleair ! ssn / sbbn / ..

Some unknowns
  • Realistic numbers for engine horepower, generator output Watts, battery, crew requirements.
  • Main and trim Ballast tank and pump room needed? Or not as this is only a 2D representation and there located in the hull.
  • Calculated weight distribution(how?)
  • Calculate speed.
  • Rooms needs also oxygine? So needs water?
  • I don’t see a solution too use artwork for each room as the layout is flexible.
  • I’m willing to open source the project but don’t know anything about “created comments”,”MIT” or other license stuff. And I’m not interested to put tile in study them, I want to code not to be a lawyer.Is it repayable? Once you have a valid design what then?
  • Maybe there should be a design and a running phase as startship corporation? Scenarios like “flooding”, “fire” that needs closing of doors, repair,…
  • Is this a pc & Mac game or a tablet game or all?
  • Switching from Unity to Xamarin & Cocossharp ?

State of the project
All goals above the picture are done.

Alpha 1 is available :Know bugs:
You cannot create new save files. Use the 5 provides slots and overwrite these files.Ple
Please use this link to report bugs : Bitbucket Issues tracker
RMeeuws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 08:59 AM   #2
RMeeuws
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Short progress update:

* Resource carriers done, no more magical transport of needed resources
Fuel tank => pipe => engine room
Engine room => shaft => propellor
Engine room => shaft => generator
Generator => cable => battery
Pump room => pipe => balast tank (todo)

* Bunks doesn't generator 4 crew members of each type.
You need to recruit the correct amount of engineers, cooks, sonarman, radioman, torpedo man, officiers.
The recruiting capacity is limited by available beds & food.

Next will be the location of the crew at work / rest / eating time.

Last edited by RMeeuws; 01-17-16 at 10:30 AM.
RMeeuws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 06:43 AM   #3
LG
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

"I’m willing to open source the project but don’t know anything about “created comments”,”MIT” or other license stuff. And I’m not interested to put tile in study them, I want to code not to be a lawyer.Is it repayable? Once you have a valid design what then?"

Creative Commons. It is the only standard I know. It is a licensing standard with which you can basically arrange the things people can do with your project and how they should attribute you when doing so. There are levels of managing the freedom to modify and distribute the program. It is very much non-commercial so there is opportunity to get rich from this or anything. Of course, it is quite hard to get rich from submarine games in any way
LG is offline   Reply With Quote