Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-19, 09:11 AM   #1
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default Great Naval Battles 2 campaign question

HI!
I am just playing the full Guadalcanal campaign of GNB2 and am just wondering if anyone here can tell me what i am supposed to do with the troop transports that are in teh taskforce i have positioned near Hendersons Field at the start.

My first thought is that i have to send the troops to henderson field to fill its troop capacity, but there is no way i can unload ships at henderson field as it doesnt seem that it is a base for ships at all - and also my task forces are all looking like they will run out of fuel - where do i get more fuel from? the only place i can think of it the airbase down at Espiritu Santo which is a long way away at teh botton right map corner, though my ships will run out of fuel before they reach it - so i am at a losse to explain

could anyone here help me with this at all?
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 10:25 AM   #2
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

It's been ages since I played GNB2, but I think the system is the same as GNB3 which I play every now and then.

To unload transports put the last waypoint on top of the cross of the base where you want them to. Do it with maximum zoom.

And yes, US forces reload fuel at Espiritu Santo. It's a port, not only an airfield. Order your TF to return to base and it will make way for Espiritu Santo. When TF reaches the base, all ships are docked and you can refuel them (also repair, or load troops and/or supplies).
Old 06-10-19, 01:45 AM   #3
agathosdaimon
Planesman

okay thanks for the replies - i will have to make a max zoom to see where the "cross" is for henderson field,
Old 06-10-19, 09:58 AM   #4
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Before you order them away, make sure that they are empty of troops and supplies. Off hand I believe that they are still unloading when the game starts and it should take about six-hours before they can move.

-C

Edit: mis-understood the question. Use the supply run mission, a target window will open and select Henderson Field as your objective. The computer will auto-plot directly to the cross icon. Upon arriving, set TF speed to zero and the unloading will begin shortly after.
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 07:26 PM   #5
agathosdaimon
Planesman

thanks i got it sorted - i did move the tf at the start and broke the unloading procedure so i didnt know how to restart it, but once i directed it back to the x for henderson field, it started and completed and now i have sent it back to espiritu for resupplying

so far things are getting interesting - i have troops from henderson attacking guadalcanal and the Betty's have crippled a few of my ships and destroyed all but one propellor of my CV Wasp -

i wasnt sure how much fuel it would take to get ships back to espiritu to refuel so i have sent off all but one TF with the Wasp limping behind but now it is night on August 8 and the IJN ships have started to appear and i have only one tf of some cruisers and DDs and BB North Carolina and i am not sure how this is going to go for me given the IJN i guessing will have better night fighting abilities - assuming thats modelled in the game?

taking hits, they are all firing on my BB - what do i do? do stay and fight do i try and get closer or do i flee also and wait for all teh other TFs to come back and the reinforcments in later days and weeks?

oh i forgot i hae left CV Enterprise there too but its useless at night and now i have decided to send it south and leave behind the cruisers and BB to keep teh IJN at bay hopefully no others turn up for now

gnb guad1.jpg

gnb guad2.jpg

Last edited by agathosdaimon; 06-10-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 09:43 PM   #6
Randomizer
Watch Officer

I have a Japanese campaign on the go right now but there are some strategic considerations for the a US Player in the long campaign.

- You start out strong but the Japanese will soon get carrier parity and surface ship superiority. Avoid losses early and use Henderson as the unsinkable aircraft carrier that it was. Transfer aircraft from Espititu Santo, they will be replaced at one per day there. Any attack or fighter capability not being used at Henderson is wasted. Trust the Marines to defend and play the long game.

- Attrition is your friend, so avoid knife-fights in the Slot unless you can score those big Japanese seaplane carriers. These make awesome transports for the IJN as they're fast and sinking them helps slow down the reinforcement of the Island.

- Protect your transports at all costs. One US transport carries far more troops and supplies than a flotilla of IJN destroyers.

- Don't try to win the battle until November or December. Time is on your side, particularly if you can effectively blockade Guadalcanal. Let the Marines carry the combat burden while the Navy provides the support and prevents the IJN from doing the same.

The game play in GNB2 is actually pretty deep and a reasonable reflection of the real situation. Am just reading Hornfischer's Neptune's Inferno about the campaign.

-C
Old 06-10-19, 09:59 PM   #7
agathosdaimon
Planesman

thanks for that info, i think i am probably only halfway able at the moment to stick to your tips

i would like to know more about how to trasnfer aircraft? - do i make a transfer mission for aircraft on an aircraft carrier and send them to henderson?

you say the planes get wasted at henderson? what do you mean by this, they disappear if i dont use them or something?

i am bit confused there -
i cant fly planes directly from espiritu as its too far

also is it possible for me to send squadrons of planes lookng for IJN ships? i can select divebomb and torp missions for cv planes but how do i set a location or ship if these have not been located yet? and also is it possible to ever conrol planes in the air apart from recalling them?
i had earlier launched some fighters from the wasp when it was being torpedoed an the fights just hovered above the carrier - how do i send them after the bettys?
the only time it seems i can get planes to shoot down bettys is whne i have a percentage on CAP but i dont know how this relates to also readying and launching planes manually

so you dont suggest that i venture any furhter towards jap bases beyond guadalcanal?
i am glad then that i moving my carrier down south as the Bettys did make a beeline right for wasp and put alot of torps into it
Old 06-11-19, 01:01 AM   #8
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Okay, just loaded up the American campaign, I had forgotten that Espiritu Santo has no fighters or dive bombers. A Transfer Mission allows you to transfer aircraft between bases and I believe that you can also transfer from but not to aircraft carriers. Henderson has a hanger capacity of 100 but if you can get more Wildcats and Dauntless's there it will help.

One way to do this is to fly them off damaged carriers that can still run flight ops. Repairs may take weeks or months and the air groups will be far more use at Henderson.

The B-17s are useless against ships and not much better against the Japanese ground forces on Guadalcanal but any attrition helps the Marines. For air defence, a CAP of 25% to 33% is generally adequate. One problem with aircraft management in the game is that all planes of the same type need the same loadouts AND once the ready process starts, no additional planes can be readied until the process underway is completed. This is an unfortunate function of the game system and bares no relation to reality. This means after an air to air fight, the replacement CAP will hold up the ready queue for the 30-minutes it takes to ready the next wave of the CAP.

You can send air strikes into the blue but you cannot redirect them after launch and therefore doing so is generally a bad idea. But if it means clearing the flight deck in the event of an imminent Japanese attack on your carrier, sacrificing the planes might save the ship from the additional fires and damage caused when ready planes are hit by bombs.

The Japanese can strike further than the Americans and this range advantage can be a big problem for the US carrier groups. I have found that dispersing the CVs in single carrier task forces is better for the USN while the Japanese have poorer flak and benefit from concentration. Indeed, transferring carrier planes to Henderson and laying up one or more CVs might even make a viable strategy in some situations.

You win the whole enchilada if you can clear the Japanese garrison from Guadalcanal and only the Marines can do that. Remember Capt Wayne P. Hughes, USN (Retd) and one of his fundamental Cornerstones of Naval Warfare is "The Seat of Purpose is on the Land". In GNB2 this is absolutely the case.

-C
Old 06-11-19, 04:16 AM   #9
agathosdaimon
Planesman

okay cool, - ships cant bombard land targets can they?

how do i transfer the carrier planes to henderson field though - i can select a transfer mission, but nothing seems to happen, i see nothing come up letting me choose henderson - or is the carrier supposed to be on teh x at henderson?

there are some b17s down at espiritu, but they cant reach guadalcanal i dont think, i tried to send them but they only went so far and never got there - i am not sure if they crashed into the sea or knew to turn around when fuel was half way
Old 06-11-19, 10:32 AM   #10
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Japanese ships can bombard Henderson but I am really not sure if American ships can bombard Guadalcanal. Create a bombardment task force and after selecting the flagship a window should open with the allowed targets. If there are none then the US cannot bombard, which seems strange as they certainly did during the real campaign.

When launching a Transfer mission the target window should open. Note that the range for Transfer missions is greater than for combat missions. The B-17 force should be able to reach Guadalcanal with a bomb load but there was some aircraft range issues before the 1.1 version patch was released. Is your game patched up?

-C
Old 06-11-19, 07:20 PM   #11
agathosdaimon
Planesman

my game is patched up yes - i checked it and also i recall that prior to the patch the bettys couldnt reach guadalcanal
i will have to check the b17s again in case i screwed up something.

i had some planes on a carrier that i gave a transfer mission, but no window ever came up - is there some time necessary that needs to elapse?

i havent tried a bombardment tf yet as my existing tfs have not reach espiritu yet - i can only make new tfs missions when ships are in port yes?

i have decided to withdraw bb n carolina - its taking why too much damage and listing badly, it will hobble down to espiritu, - i hope repairs dont take too long
Old 06-12-19, 10:09 AM   #12
Randomizer
Watch Officer

I just ran a test and sent 12 Avengers and 12 Dauntless from Enterprise to Henderson Field.

- Sailed Enterprise into range of Henderson. Selected Ready and Transfer Missions for 12 of each type and OK.

- Aircraft reported ready after the 30-minute prep time. Selected Launch and the window opened giving both Henderson and Espiritu Santo as possible bases for the transfer.

- Selected Henderson Field and the planes all launched and flew there where they reinforced the existing Cactus Air Force. In 12 days the Enterprise Air Group should be back up to strength.

Also tested bombardments and the USN can conduct bombardment missions against Guadalcanal.

No idea why you cannot seem to get these things to work, sorry.

-C
Old 06-12-19, 08:20 PM   #13
agathosdaimon
Planesman

okay i wiill have to try things out again, maybe i didnt wait long enough - at the moment though its night of aug 8 with IJN attacking i will have to wait till its daylight again i suppose before launching flights