0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 11:12 AM   #31
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

If all this is true then this is absurd. I can see a one time verification, or even a 'quick check' when the game is started. But to have to be online the entire time? I think they probably loose close to 30% of the consumers right there. What if I want to play on my laptop while visiting my inlaws... no can do

Furthermore 'save games online' WTF

My stance has suddenly changed from "Oh boy cant wait" to "Oh crap what a shame".

Silent Hunter online

Way to loose a fanboy UBI bad decision bad indeed.
Old 01-26-10, 11:13 AM   #32
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulikate View Post
Sad but true: it will take about -3 days before release date for someone to crack the online activation/save system. I'll still buy my copy and do as they say (even though I find it ridiculous), but I wonder why insist on bothering legit buyers when they know it won't keep piracy away for a single second.
Or like other titles the crack will be available before the game hits the shelf.

Warez versions too.
Old 01-26-10, 11:15 AM   #33
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
Or like other titles the crack will be available before the game hits the shelf.

Warez versions too.
Old 01-26-10, 11:15 AM   #34
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 1

As far as I know, in the US it is practice to sell you a use licence, so you are in fact just renting itm or buy the right to use it, and get a disc as bonus.

I the Netherlands there was a judge who decided some years ago, that if you buy a CD its yours, and should be unrestricted. (like windows)
They legally cannot us the US way here, and I think it is in most EU countries this way.
You should get what you pay for and not a sneeky fee system or a hidden subscription, payed or not.

Then on the box should clearly state:
'you have the right to play it by online check as long as we see fit' Good luck.
Old 01-26-10, 11:20 AM   #35
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
post in the German Q&A thread
by Ubi_AnnikV one of the German Ubisoft community managers

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/...161085487/p/14
He states: "und der PC muss während der gesamten Spielzeit mit dem Internet verbunden sein."

Which means, you'll have to be online during the whole playing session.
This is no mere online activation, which i could live with, besides, you also have to activate SH5 online AND you have to stay online while playing. The whole time. Sounds pretty much "Rise of Flight"-Style.

I am one of those gamers that are usually connected 24/7 to the net.
But my service provider sometimes shuts down the service for update or maintenance purposes or simply because something went "boom."
If this happens, that means I can kiss my game progress goodbye.

If SH5 would be an MMO then it would be pretty obvious that there is no other practical way around and I would be fine with the "online the whole time" thing. Same during Online-Multiplay. Just because it does not work any other way than with a connection to the net.

But we are talking about a mainly offline experience here. I am not playing against human opponents over the net, i am playing an offline game against the computers AI.
Having to be online the whole time, only to save my progress and losing it if the connection goes down, sounds simply ridiculous to me, and i have cancelled my preorder.

Aubrey
-- -.-- / .... --- ...- . .-. -.-. .-. .- ..-. - / .. ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / . . .-.. ...

Last edited by JackAubrey; 01-26-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 11:23 AM   #36
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
I read that "Rise of Flight" is dropping the requirement to be connected to the internet the whole time you are playing in the next patch. Wouldnt this suggest that this approach is a fail?
With respect to Rise of Flight ^^^^^^
Old 01-26-10, 11:23 AM   #37
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

Well, well.

This settles it.

Today I was going to pre-order SH V.

Cancelled it and ordered a copy of SH 3.

I'm going back to SH3.

What I can accept when playing World of Warcraft (playing online and montly fee for weekly maintenance and 24/24 game masters for help) I cannot accept for a game I will play offline on my PC.

I will not support this.
Old 01-26-10, 11:25 AM   #38
Boats
Loader

Downloads: 74

I'll be out if this happens. RO sits in my drawer because I lost the account info and retrieving it is near impossible. (Impossible for me, but I'm told you can).

Why is it those who obey the laws are the ones who are consistantly the ones who have to pay for the actions of those who don't? The only direction that sort of Law enforcement leads to is the crooks finding another way to be crooks. Like the meth labs, to get Sudafed I have to hand over my license and fill out a form. Can't buy too many packages because they want the meth labs to shut down. The only thing they did was make people find a way to make their meth faster and with less sudafeds. So now more people have labs and more houses are blowing up. Sorry for the rant.

Sure I have a connection today, am I guarranteed one tomorrow?
Old 01-26-10, 11:29 AM   #39
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Dont be affraid.. it will either be cracked shortly after release or in a patch UBI will remove it, since they cannot hold this crap up.
Even microsoft removed the need for a disc in the drive with FS9 patch long time ago, and more did.
Old 01-26-10, 11:29 AM   #40
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

I think mandatory online activation is the only thing that would stop me buying this, remember the fiasco that surrounded the realese of HL2 which to my knowledge was the first game that required manadatory online (steam) registration to play, in the end i took it back to the shop and got the console version!

What about folks like myself that have quite strict usage limits (5GB per month) This will suck, especially if the savegames are quite big as they are in sh3/4, its £100 per Gb excess over my limit, sh5 could cost me a fortune if i try to play when im near my usage limit!

(+careful talking about cracks/warez lest ye be keelhauled by Neal!)
Old 01-26-10, 11:30 AM   #41
Gatt
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAubrey View Post
But we are talking about a mainly offline experience here. I am not playing against human opponent over the net, i am playing an offline game against the computers AI.
Having to be online the whole time, only to save my progress and losing it if the connection goes down, sounds simply ridiculous to me.
I totally agree.

Well, I canceled my preorder
Old 01-26-10, 11:33 AM   #42
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan_d View Post
Dont be affraid.. it will either be cracked shortly after release
Even if they manage to crack it and store the savegames locally:
There is no way that I pay for a game and have to use an illegal crack on it, just to be safe from disconnects while playing.

Ubisoft decided to hassle me, a paying, honest and loyal customer, with this sort of uncomfortable DRM-Crap so I am simply not giving them my money. And I also would not play any cracked version a) because i resent piracy and b) so Ubi cannot say "See, it's the pirates we have to take those measures!"

Aubrey
-- -.-- / .... --- ...- . .-. -.-. .-. .- ..-. - / .. ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / . . .-.. ...

Old 01-26-10, 11:35 AM   #43
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan_d View Post
Dont be affraid.. it will either be cracked shortly after release or in a patch UBI will remove it, since they cannot hold this crap up.
Even microsoft removed the need for a disc in the drive with FS9 patch long time ago, and more did.
Sure. About 2/3 of my PC games are cracked because otherwise I could not play. But why should I pay full price for a game to crack it afterwards while I see crackers distribute an already cracked version on Internet ?

I think they won't listen unless we stop buying. I am not willing to play cracked games because that's how I've been raised, to be honest and not a thieve.

I just ordered myself a brand new SH3 for 13 euro, sending feeds included.
If SH5 goes out and they give us a patch to play offline and save our games locally, I'll reconsider.
Old 01-26-10, 11:35 AM   #44
johan_d
Samurai Navy

There are other ways, like what Behemia does, FADE..
Old 01-26-10, 11:38 AM   #45
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

This just occurred to me and thought I'd share my thought...

Quote:

Subsim: Last question: copy protection; what kind of copy protection scheme will SH5 use? Some kind of serial number, a program, or will the game be linked to Steam, or Uplay?

Alex: We cannot comment on that either right now.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
Closed Thread