SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-09, 08:24 AM   #91
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

I can set the monitor to wide or Auto, in Auto if it is 1024x768 then that is what is shown with black borders, if I select wide (default) then all pictures are wide, I will quickly try auto with wide setting and WS mod, though I think I already done that.
Edit: There are only 2 settings that are not to do with color and gamma, (there are others but for analog only not digital mode), they are:
Auto Source - Auto or Manual (type of signal analog or digital)
Image Size - Auto or Wide (Auto will show 1024x768 as that with black borders on the side, Wide will force it to display wide)
Doesn't matter what I set these to (during game play), still only zooms in, I thought the Cameras.dat would just be a setting within the game environment, not system, this is frustrating, maybe I need to install the ATI CCC to get this going?

Sub captains go down with their ship!

Last edited by Reece; 02-09-09 at 08:13 PM.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 11:13 PM   #92
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

This is getting ridiculous!! I have installed the CCC:

I have tried all 3 settings enabled & disabled but still does not work!
Could someone PLEASE HELP!

Old 02-09-09, 11:57 PM   #93
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Don´t cry Reece!

Your monitor is LCD widescreen?

1.If so, please let´s start not using the High Resolution mod. Run the game in full screen (the mod don´t work windowed), 1024x768 (stock).

If the mod is correctly installed you will see the screen in 4:3 (black bars at sides) but the image will be elonged in its high. If so, then just enlarge the image using your monitor properties itself. IF your monitor don´t allow you to do this, then exit the game, choose scaling image to full panel (I guess) on CCC and restart (yet at stock 1024x768). It must work.

2. If the above don´t work, then, using High resolution mod, set it to the same max WScreen resolution that you monitor allows. Uncheck all choices on CCC and just start the game. Must work too.
Old 02-10-09, 12:23 AM   #94
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

OK, step 1 I have removed the HiRes mod including running the uninstall bat file, run the game and this is the result with black bars on either side, (in-game snapshot don't show bars):

So far no go, monitor will stretch it but at this point not worth it, still zoomed in! Will carry on next steps.
OK, step 2 with Hires set to 1920x1200 (max) the CCC unticked the "Enable GPU Scaling" setting this is the result:

Still zoomed in. I rebooted and tried a second time, no difference, I have ghosted the system so it don't matter what you want me to try, I can reghost after all this, if I had to guess I would say that the Cameras.dat is not functioning as it should within the game, why should it just zoom in, I have only got GWX 2.1, not 3, maybe it only works in 3?
I have tried all combos again but all the WS Mod does in all circumstances is zoom in, since running it in 1024x768 with the side bars means that it is running as stock on CRT, enabling the WS Mod just zooms in, the display & system settings have no effect, is there a cfg file within SH3 that should be altered?
What I think:
If the display is showing the 1024x768 with side bars isn't that all it supposed to do, I can't see how system settings can change what is displayed within the 1024x768, surely that is in the game?

Last edited by Reece; 02-10-09 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 04:16 AM   #95
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

@ Rubini, Skybird just suggested something that could be, I'm using DVI cable in digital mode, what are you using?

Old 02-10-09, 04:44 AM   #96
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

@Reece

I'm using DVI here too and no probs, sorry shipmate . By the by, why aren't you running at your full screen res of 1920x1200 ? I see you use a syncmaster same as me my screen res is same as yours maxed ie. 1920x1200, and this works fine for me, see my earlier post with screenie.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 04:56 AM   #97
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Could you tell me what your CCC is set to and Monitor Image size please (Auto or Wide), I thought I was onto something that Digital has a fixed Hz Freq of 74khz but analog varies, I think! I have been using 1680x1050 because it is better on my eyes (larger fonts & icons), but I have been using 1920x1200 for tests however didn't work!

Old 02-10-09, 05:15 AM   #98
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Sorry shipmate I'm an nvidia user so I'm not sure this will relate. In my nvidia control panel I have flat panel scaling set to allow my monitor to handle it (I think).I'm at work atm, but will check it out when I get home this evening and report back. Willing to post some screens (NCP) too if this might help

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 05:49 AM   #99
SH999
Sailor man

Downloads: 3

Guys, pls correct me if I'm wrong. The game does not naitively support resolution higher than 1024x768. It means that even when you use the hirez tweak your field of view doesn't change on wide aspect monitors. Doesn't matter if you set the resolution at 1024x768 or 1440x900 you won't get a wider FOV (field of view) on the widescreen monitor that support 1440 or 1900 (or etc) pxl width. I guess what this widesreen tweak does is it kinda "zooms in" to fill up the full width of the wide screen (say 1440) but cuts out top and bottom of the picture. So it is only good for those who really don't like the flattened GFX or, in case of this tweak, the black areas (on the left and right) when playing on a wide screen monitor. Yes, you'll get the full width on the monitor (but the FOV width of what you can see will be same as on a 1024x768 screen as already mentioned) in exchange for the truncated GFX in the top and bottom of the native (1024x768) picture. So for 1440x900 resolution you'll get 1024*1.40625 x 768/1.40625 FOV. Meaning your vertical FOV (546.13 instead of original 768) will be less than on the original picture (4:3). Do I get this right?

Thanks.

Last edited by SH999; 02-10-09 at 06:02 AM.
SH999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 06:38 AM   #100
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

No, this mod actually give you a wider screen covering more left and right the way wide screen (DVD's etc) work, problem is that I can't get it to work, mine is doing what you have said and just zooms in cutting top and bottom.
Could be an nvidia thing, maybe Rubini has an nvidia card.
Quote:
I'm at work atm, but will check it out when I get home this evening and report back. Willing to post some screens (NCP) too if this might help
Any help you can offer Fubar2Niner I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-10-09, 06:52 AM   #101
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Yes, I have a nvidia card (GT 8800 512).

But I don't think that this is card related. Your firts pic at stock 1024x768, when using the WS mod, the image must be elongate in it's high (with black bars at sides). In your pic it's normal, not elongate. So, will not fit in correct WS. IF the mod was applyed correcty this must be not happen (viewport right from 1,0 to 1,4 deforms the image).
Old 02-10-09, 07:07 AM   #102
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

@Reece: Has you tried to put the same resolution in the game and the desktop? Also try refresh rate to 60 Hz., no Vertical Sinc. And finishing, ATi Tray Tool is better than CCC.
I hope this can help.
Old 02-10-09, 07:21 AM   #103
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronas
@Reece: Has you tried to put the same resolution in the game and the desktop? Also try refresh rate to 60 Hz., no Vertical Sinc. And finishing, ATi Tray Tool is better than CCC.
Yep, can't stress that enough. I believe the resfix doesn't even work if you don't have the same desktop and ingame resolution: For most it simply crashes when the game is started, for others it might do other weird things.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 07:27 AM   #104
SH999
Sailor man

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
No, this mod actually give you a wider screen covering more left and right the way wide screen (DVD's etc) work
Your last screen is EXACTLY what I wrote there. This mod does seem to give a wider screen, but leaves the original horizontal FOV exactly the SAME. So you won't see any 'wider' IN the game on a widescreen, than on the original 1024x768 screen. And your last screenshot proves it very well (look at the gauges). The cost - is that you don't see some top and the bottom you would see on the original 1024x768 screen. I'm confident now that it is exactly the case. Same you have in IL-2 if playing on a newer widescreen. You can get the full screen, but you don't get the FOV any wider. Limitation of the game engine.
SH999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 08:19 AM   #105
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Your firts pic at stock 1024x768, when using the WS mod, the image must be elongate in it's high (with black bars at sides). In your pic it's normal, not elongate.
It was elongated with bars to the left and right but the ingame snapshot that I posted (Ctrl-F11) doesn't show the bars, I could show you but only if I get a camera shot.
@ Coronas & Fincuan, I had ATT only before but couldn't get anything to work, that is why I installed the CCC, I will both game and desktop set to same res, vert is already set to 60hz, and vertical sync was off with ATT, have now set off in CCC, not sure what settings I should have as shown in post #92, may have to go through them all again!!