SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-14, 08:26 PM   #1
MemoryLeaK
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default SH3-GWX-SH3 Commander-Will they work with WIN 8.1

Hi,

After long absence from Submarine simulators and now that I am retired, I would like to try SH3 again. unfortunately I no longer have my old pc's with old Operating Systems. I am a member of Steam and I was going to download it from there. I saw a post that you use Windows 8.1, which I am stuck with, but according to Steam SH3 only works with Win 2000 or Win XP.

How did you get it to work with 8.1?

And I already found about 12 files for GWX3 Gold on this website but does it work with Win 8.1? And I will need guidance from the God of Software on how to install GWX 3 GOLD. along with SH Commander. I've never seen anything so complicated in my life.

Larry
Old 03-10-14, 03:53 AM   #2
GJO
Planesman

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

I am currently on my 12th patrol with SH3 + GWX + SH3 Commander in Windows 8.1.

I set up a new directory (what MS now prefers to call a folder) on my HD and named it 'Games' and installed the game there. I also set the 'compatibly' in properties for the relevant executable files to 'Windows XP sp3' - some Mods do not work with this set up and cause a CTD (crash to desktop) but I am running the unofficial v1.6b patch too with no current issues.
GJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 04:04 AM   #3
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

It does indeed, as mentioned don't install in the default Program folder, and if it's an old version of SH3 then follow the Win 7 advice (stickied) on removing StarFarce.
Old 03-10-14, 04:59 AM   #4
GJO
Planesman

Downloads: 33

Before installing SH3, on my new Windows 8.1 computer, I downloaded the latest 'Starforce' free version of the game direct from Ubisoft. I think this is essential because 'Starforce' will cause problems with later versions of Windows.
GJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 10:45 AM   #5
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

I can get everything working perfectly except the wide screen mods on my rug.
Old 03-10-14, 01:37 PM   #6
MemoryLeaK
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will give it a try today. I understood everything except the Starforce stuff. I've never heard of that.

I did go to this link www.thegreywolves/gwx3/ so I could get the GWX3 Gold application. There are about 12 files listed there and no instructions on what to do to load all of them. Is anyone familiar with this? I would like to use the GWX3 Gold and SH Commander Mods because as I recall the stock SH3 program is a pain-in-the-ass because of the crew fatigue aspect.

SO I am trying to figure out how to add GWX3 Gold and SH Commander when I get the game. I already have SH3 but I can't find it so I will be starting over.

And the 1.4b patch seems elusive to fine also.

If anyone has the time to educate me on this points I would really appreciate it. I just retired after 35 years at the 911 comm center and I finally have some time on my hands.

Larry
Old 03-12-14, 02:53 PM   #7
Woxor
Watch

Downloads: 124

Hey guys,

I'm running Windows 8 and have not experienced any problems with stock SH3 so far. However, I recently installed GWX3 and that's when the trouble started. Occasionally, about 50% of the time, it crashed while loading and a couple of times in game as well. I searched around but could not found a solution that matched my system, so I uninstalled everything to make a clean install and hope that the problem would solve itself.

However, after reinstalling SH3, GWX and adding the recommended SH3 Commander.cfg file, it crashes everytime I try to load a campaign. The loading bar moves about 90%, then crashes and I get the "Silent Hunter 3 has stopped working" message.

I have searched all day for a solution but cannot find it anywhere. Any tips would be very appreciated. Like I said, I run Windows 8, SH3 steam version, SH3 Commander and GWX3 Gold. I have followed the instructions for installation multiple times.

I appreciate your help
Woxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 03:19 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeaK View Post
I understood everything except the Starforce stuff. I've never heard of that.
Starforce was a Digital Rights Managemant program (DRM) that was applied to SH3. It tended to sometimes decide that the DVD-ROM drive was illegal and then proceed to disable it. It was removed from newer versions. If yours is downloaded you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Quote:
I did go to this link www.thegreywolves/gwx3/ so I could get the GWX3 Gold application. There are about 12 files listed there and no instructions on what to do to load all of them. Is anyone familiar with this? I would like to use the GWX3 Gold and SH Commander Mods because as I recall the stock SH3 program is a pain-in-the-ass because of the crew fatigue aspect.
The only GWX version I would trust would be the one you'll find in the signature link in any post by Jimbuna. He is the caretaker of GWX and he also includes clear instructions.

Quote:
SO I am trying to figure out how to add GWX3 Gold and SH Commander when I get the game. I already have SH3 but I can't find it so I will be starting over.
SH3 Commander can be found here, and the files needed to make it work with GWX are here.

Quote:
And the 1.4b patch seems elusive to fine also.
Right here.
Old 03-12-14, 03:38 PM   #9
MemoryLeaK
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you very much for the reply. I successfully, I think, loaded the various apps and patch.

I did a patrol using SH3 Commander and it seems very stable. No crashes.

I stated Aug 1, 1939 and patrolled for several weeks but after returning to port the log said patrol lasted from Aug 1 to Aug 8. Strange, is this normal?

And I sank 38,000 tones but my renown indicate -877. Is a negative number normal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-14, 04:04 PM   #10
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

If the game is downloaded then it should already be patched.

Quote:
I stated Aug 1, 1939 and patrolled for several weeks but after returning to port the log said patrol lasted from Aug 1 to Aug 8. Strange, is this normal?

And I sank 38,000 tones but my renown indicate -877. Is a negative number normal?
You are in GWX. Remember WW2 DOES not start till September 1st and even then it takes a couple of days for Britain and France to enter.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 05:44 PM   #11
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeaK View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. I successfully, I think, loaded the various apps and patch.

I did a patrol using SH3 Commander and it seems very stable. No crashes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You started the war by sinking a bunch of neutral ships. You have been reassigned to lead the invasion on the Eastern front. Your task is to find and disable all buried mines. Good luck.
Signed
BdU
Old 12-04-14, 09:56 AM   #12
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
You started the war by sinking a bunch of neutral ships. You have been reassigned to lead the invasion on the Eastern front. Your task is to find and disable all buried mines. Good luck.
Signed
BdU
PS:

Be More Aggressive!
Bdu
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 01:38 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
PS:

Be More Aggressive!
Bdu
His agressiveness is what has gotten him upto this point.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 02:08 PM   #14
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Have not had problems with Win 8.1 here either. Amazon and GamersGate are two places anyone can get a dirt-cheap Starforce-free copy these days

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-14, 04:19 AM   #15
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
...and what caused the unnecessary loss of most of the lost 30.000 U-Boot-men.
Not sure what or why you are asking this. I don't understand it. But that may be because I'm sick with a cold at the moment.

I just meant aggressiveness before the war actually started has gotten himself into the negative renown.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote