SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-11, 06:56 AM   #1
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Returning Hunter

Hello people.

I've not been around for a long while and I'd be grateful if you could help me with a few things. There's a few mods been released or changed since I was last here

1. Is GWX gold the same as GWX3? I already have 3, but I'm wondering if there's a Gold version I'm missing out on.

2. These three mods interest me, and I think they're compatible with GWX, but I 'd just like it confirmed - 'Realism and game-related hardcode fixes'; 'Aces super turm conpendium'; 'Rubinis widescreen GUI'? Maybe one or two of them aren't even needed if I run GWX?

Thank you for any help
Old 09-28-11, 09:29 AM   #2
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri View Post
Hello people.

I've not been around for a long while and I'd be grateful if you could help me with a few things. There's a few mods been released or changed since I was last here
Welcome back!

Quote:
1. Is GWX gold the same as GWX3?
Yes.

Quote:
2. These three mods interest me, and I think they're compatible with GWX, but I 'd just like it confirmed - 'Realism and game-related hardcode fixes'; 'Aces super turm conpendium'; 'Rubinis widescreen GUI'? Maybe one or two of them aren't even needed if I run GWX?

Thank you for any help
The first two work fine with GWX3/Gold, at least they always have for me. I haven't looked into the widescreen stuff yet so someone else will have to answer about the last one.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 09:40 AM   #3
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

OK, thank you very much.

I'll give the widescreen thread a read unless someone posts here before I get round to it this evening. There's so much on the forum I need to read to refresh my memory and I'm desperate to install SH3 and get to sea LOL.

Thanks again FK.
Old 09-28-11, 09:42 AM   #4
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

You're very welcome. Gute Jagd!
Old 09-28-11, 11:42 AM   #5
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Next elementary question (might as well keep them in the one place!)...........

I've been through the mods to see what I'd like, and came across a 4gb patch. I know this is for 64bit systems and that doesn't affect me. But I seen mention of a 3gb one too, no details, just a mention - would this apply to my 32bit OS?

PS - the widescreen GUI I mentioned before is compatible with GWX. But it seems it's for a particular resolution and even then install it on a try-it-and-see basis.
Old 09-28-11, 01:44 PM   #6
CherryHarbey
Engineer

Downloads: 86

Quote:
'Realism and game-related hardcode fixes';
Hsie work on the sh3.exe is well worth a look at if you have the right version on the exe to begin with. it is legendary work!
CherryHarbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 06:25 PM   #7
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Default Display

Ok - all installed (first time in 2 years! It feels good!) and running fine, except...........

oval/elongated display I've had a quick fumble in the NVidia panel to no effect and a browse through the W7 thread but most in there just seem to be having problems with 64bit, I'm on 32 and I don't think it's an OS problem.

Any ideas folks? Is it something to do with the patch I mentioned a few posts above?

Boxed DVD (Europe) to 1.4, GWX3, Commander 3.2 with GWX config.

Native resolution 1920x1080. Rest of system see my signature. Any more just ask

Thanks all.

EDIT: the issue seems to have been resolved by installing the widescreen GUI. Now I just need to sort some issues that has raised itself LOL.

Last edited by Nerazzurri; 09-28-11 at 07:37 PM.
Nerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 07:45 PM   #8
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Did you install any of the widescreen stuff?

If not, it's probably that your monitor and/or graphics card are set up to automatically rescale any fullscreen app to fill your widescreen monitor. Unfortunately the native aspect ratio of SH3 is the same as the old 4:3 monitors, and when you run it fullscreen and it gets rescaled for a widescreen monitor it gets all streeeeeeeeetched out which can be very disconscerting in the 2D screens where the circular dials turn into ovals and whatnot.

Don't know what hardware you have but look in your GPU controller software to see if there's an option to turn off auto rescaling so that the game's original 4:3 aspect ratio is preserved. If that works what you should get is the old more or less "square" SH3 world that you remember with black stripes down each side to fill out the extra monitor space... kind of like horizontal letterboxing.

(Just an FYI if you have an ATI/AMD card, in the latest versions of Catalyst Control Center the option to deselect rescaling is unavailable unless you are running a desktop res other than the preferred one for your monitor. IIRC correctly I got around this by temporarily changing my desktop res, going in and making the changes I wanted, then going back to the original preferred res. Somehow it seemed to "stick," don't ask me why. I had to fiddle with the issue a whole lot before I finally stumbled on a combo of factors that worked and I'm still not *completely* sure what made the difference, lol.)

Another thing to try, is if you have a setup/options Menu for your monitor that is accessible by the little buttons on the front or side. Some monitors have an option built into their hardware that will cause the native aspect ratio to be preserved even in fullscreen mode rather than stretching images to fill the whole screen.

Edit: never mind, looks like you already sorted it out.
Old 09-28-11, 07:51 PM   #9
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Thanks Frau. Looks like I got it as you typed LOL.

Tomorrow I may even get to set sail

I think the WS GUI needs some tidying, going by comments I see, but that can get done over time. For the moment I'm good to go.
Old 09-28-11, 07:55 PM   #10
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

I may look into the WS stuff now myself, I was using a 16:10 monitor and everything seemed to be set up for a 16:9 aspect ratio. I've got that now and I would love to have the game in fullscreen for real so I'll have to see what progress has been made since I last looked into it.
Old 10-03-11, 09:10 PM   #11
Laufen zum Ziel
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 853
Uploads: 457

Welcome back.

Have been on sick leave for three months recovering from surgery. I know how it feels to be at sea again.

happy hunting
Old 10-04-11, 08:40 AM   #12
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Having completed a few patrols now, I'm really enjoying the game again. I've also been weighing up SH4 and I have a question -

Does anyone know approximately how many different subs, ships and aircraft are modelled in stock SH3, GWX3 and SH4 U-boat add-on?

I had a look at the official sites, review sites and the PDF manuals for SH3 and GWX but can't see anything. The only thing I can find is stock SH4 has around 75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufen zum Ziel View Post
Welcome back.

Have been on sick leave for three months recovering from surgery. I know how it feels to be at sea again.

happy hunting
Thank you Good hunting
Old 10-04-11, 06:22 PM   #13
Laufen zum Ziel
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 853
Uploads: 457

I have all the SH's and have played them all. I keep coming back to SHIII (GWX) because it is the one that holds my interest. I broke in on SHIII and this forum so I would find it hard to leave.

Even if I stopped playing I could never give up this forum Neal, Kpt. Lehman, and our great modders and old time forum members

My personal choice. All sims bring something to the individual.

Old 10-05-11, 07:42 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome back Nerazzurri

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 07:50 AM   #15
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Welcome back Nerazzurri
Cheers, see you when I'm back in port

Quote:
I have a question -

Does anyone know approximately how many different subs, ships and aircraft are modelled in stock SH3, GWX3 and SH4 U-boat add-on?

I had a look at the official sites, review sites and the PDF manuals for SH3 and GWX but can't see anything. The only thing I can find is stock SH4 has around 75.
I had a rummage and looked in the data file for GWX3. The air, sea and submarine files contain 252 objects; granted, they're not all planes, subs or ships.

Still don't know about stock or SH4 U-boat though.