SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-14, 12:16 AM   #1
jeffnc
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Win 8.1 install problem

I have a DVD copy of SH3 left over from years ago - never got around to it. Just built a new PC and want to give it a try.

I've read "The Silent Hunter III Guide - Not Only For Beginners of [SH3]". I believe I understand the instructions, although I'm not sure about one part.

For "Choose Destination Location", it defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\ but I browse to and select a folder I created called C:\silent3. It seems to accept that, and 2 screens later I'm asked to "Select Program Folder". Here the default is Ubisoft\Silent Hunter III. I'm not really sure what this folder is for but I enter silent3.

In any case, it doesn't matter what folders exist or what I type, the game files are always installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\ and nothing I do seems to change that. Extremely frustrating.

Ideas?
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 03:56 AM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Default SH3 WIN 8.1 INSTALL

Hi Jeffnc Welcome to subsim I don't have win 8.1 but try this click start menu then computer click drive C you see program files folder & also programme file (x86) folder also other programme folders for other games & applications

make your own folder right click anywhere on the white area then click new then folder call it Games or Wolfpack then install SH3 there I think your 1st install got confused because you called it silent3
then once its installed & working you can make more installed copies of the game make other folders in my documents for different versions of SH3
PEN-1 FOLDER=(SH3-GWX) PEN-2 FOLDER=(SH3-LSH-5.1)

at Subsim we have our own teamspeak 3 channel ill be on there all day if you need any help ill be on teamspeak

blackswan40
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 10:05 AM   #3
jeffnc
Swabbie

I think you might not understand what I was doing blackswan. I've already created a new folder. It doesn't matter if I call that folder Game or Silent3 or whatever, when I select that new folder during the install process, the install pretends to accept it, then just ignores it and installs in C:\Program Files (x86)\SilentHunterIII. There's no reason I can think of that the install would get confused by a directory names silent3, but it doesn't matter - I've tried other directory names.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-07-14 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-07-14, 10:35 AM   #4
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Check out #2 Option in this thread. Here

I have Win 8.1 and the game runs fine.

Welcome to SUBSIM

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 10:40 AM   #5
jeffnc
Swabbie

ReallyDedPoet, if you read my post you'll see that I've already gone through that post. All it says is to install to a directory other than C:\Program Files (x86).

To repeat my problem, I am trying to follow the instructions in that install guide, but when I enter a directory other than C:\Program Files (x86) to install to, it installs in C:\Program Files (x86) anyway.

The instructions posted in this thread, as well, DO NOT WORK for me. It will not go in any directory I tell it to go.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ight=windows+8
Old 12-07-14, 11:35 AM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
ReallyDedPoet, if you read my post you'll see that I've already gone through that post. All it says is to install to a directory other than C:\Program Files (x86).
Just noticed that

It's strange, I have created a folder outside of C:\Program Files (x86) called Submarine. See below and it has worked.

Back in the Day

Old 12-07-14, 01:40 PM   #7
jeffnc
Swabbie

It's hard to know if this is a problem with my SH3 copy, or some kind of Windows problem. I'm using a legit copy of SH3 on DVD with an install key, which by the way I wasn't asked to enter.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-07-14 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 03:16 PM   #8
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Try naming it the same as I did: Submarine.

Back in the Day

Old 12-08-14, 01:34 PM   #9
jeffnc
Swabbie

That might work Blitzkrieg, but I'm not sure what you mean in the context of the FAQ install instructions, which are as follows. Where in this process are you proposing to move the files?

05. Begin installation of SH3 as normal
=> Change the target installation path so you do NOT install to the default path. Choose for example d:\SH3-stock
07. When you get to finish screen DO ***NOT*** press "Finish".
=> THIS IS VERY CRUCIAL!! Do NOT hit it!
08. Execute the patch-to-1.4b with settings "Run As Admin" and XP service pack 2.
For the version I use this file is for instance called "silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_emea.exe"
=> It is crucial to do this with Admin privileges, do NOT try anything else or it is not going to work!
09. ONLY after #8 has completed, THEN hit finish.
Old 12-11-14, 05:55 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
I have a DVD copy of SH3 left over from years ago - never got around to it.
How old is it? If it's an original from 2005 it has StarForce on it and I've heard it won't work on newer Windows systems. You might try this solution. If your copy is newer then ignore this message.
Old 12-11-14, 06:38 PM   #11
jeffnc
Swabbie

I'm pretty sure it's the 2005 or before version. I'll give that a try when I'm back at that computer......
Old 12-15-14, 05:37 PM   #12
jeffnc
Swabbie

No, I can't get this installed and working no matter what.

I'm willing to try another version. The whole point of this for me was to not pay for another game, but use one that I already have. But oh well.

In your FAQ post for installing this game, you gave a link for a "Revival" edition, and that link pointed to the Steam game. And you said if we have that version, we don't need the complicated install workarounds.

But in another post you said the Steam version is NOT recommended.

I'm more confused now than ever.

What version do you recommend for me to buy to get this game installed and working?
Old 12-15-14, 07:19 PM   #13
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi jeffnc

Check out my Post #150

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804&page=10

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 05:52 PM   #14
mrmertz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sell it at a garage sale like I did mine.

I could NEVER get the old Starforce boxed version to re-install under ANY conditions no matter how many tools or work arounds I tried.

Bought SH3 Digital Download off of Amazon yesterday for $2.50.

The problem is either they really chewed down the options under graphics or something because it looks visually like its running on a 20 year old graphics card on my machine.

I SH4 on the the hand look s beautiful. might have to play with screen res to get it to look right, otherwise visually it looks like, er, crap.