Closed Thread

Old 03-02-10, 10:40 PM   #1696
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by janh View Post

I don't care if SHV is hacked or not. If I would want it, I would buy it to get the manual and everything with it (a nice, thick manual with a history section, a nice Kriegsmarine Seekarte etc. would be awesome "added-value" to this product for me -- like in good old DOS game times!).

LOL, what manual, all you get is two pieces of paper (install inst. & Warr.) and the Disks.

Manual is in PDF format on disk.

Guess the money saved on not printing manuals and maps etc. is paying for the OSP (DRM).
Old 03-02-10, 11:18 PM   #1697
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Frankly after reviewing the bug list, I don't care for the game any more, it is just like SH4 when it was released,maybe even worse, plus it is more to the arcade style of gaming! add this to being stuck with OSP DRM .... will give it a miss. Sadly UBI is going backwards with quality, they've lost the plot!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online  
Old 03-02-10, 11:24 PM   #1698
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Hey Guys ... They give you a direct link to Kinko's to print that manual.

For a price. Ubisoft doesn't miss a trick.
Old 03-02-10, 11:28 PM   #1699
admobadmo
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schunken View Post
...I think its really not sell too well... Amazon.de show it on place 47, just make it into top 50.

Maybe it will catch up on release day, but I be in doubt.

Andreas
I just checked, release day, and it's now at #142. So if it was in the top 50 ealier, it seems to be dropping fast.

edit: I just noticed, you're not even in the same country as I am! Doh! Anyway, it's at #142 in the US.

2nd edit: to put it in a little perspective, Halo 3 is at #83, 1115 days in the top 100. Maybe they should have made a version of Silent Hunter 5 for X-Box? That would be fun, wouldn't it? Guys? X-Box? With me on this one? Anyone?
Old 03-03-10, 12:09 AM   #1700
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

At least it wouldn't have OSP!! If you have X-Box, do the games have as many bugs as SH5 on PC? If not, why can't they do a better job beta testing for PC games?

Reece is online  
Old 03-03-10, 12:12 AM   #1701
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
Hey Guys ... They give you a direct link to Kinko's to print that manual.

For a price. Ubisoft doesn't miss a trick.
Ridiculous isn't it! the game is full of bugs worse than SH4, no manuals, maps etc, on top of that you have to put up with OSP! and it costs more!!

Reece is online  
Old 03-03-10, 12:30 AM   #1702
admobadmo
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

I don't actually have an X-Box myself. But I do have an X-Box controller for Windows for the occassional console port. The two that come to mind that I've used it for are Grand Theft Auto IV and the latest Tomb Raider. Both quite similar to SH5, really. A "murder simulator" and, uh, an "exploration simulator". Yeah, that's it. There's even underwater parts in Tomb Raider!
Old 03-03-10, 01:50 AM   #1703
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
Well, I just read the instructions for installing one of the cracked versions of Assassins Creed 2 that are already out. Essentially, it allows a Ubisoft account, then they simply do a redirect to a different server.
The only thing it doesn't allow is a saved game but they expect to have that solved soon... It also looks like it would be the same or similar to bypass the DRM for SH5.
I am not going to post the hows's and why's but it definately looks like they've bypassed DRM already. No, I didn't d/l to test it.... but those who know where to look will have no problem finding a Pirate with it.
Yep, didn't take long, did it? "Working" cracks for AC2 are popping up everywhere now. Who'da thunk it?

Seems like the perverbial sledgehammer that Ubisoft has chosen to use on the walnut is indeed made of plastic, serving only to annoy the honest buyers who are now stuck with it.

Will Ubisoft concede defeat? Or will they press on with even more draconian measures, thus showing their true intention of stopping game resale?
Old 03-03-10, 02:09 AM   #1704
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

LOL

yep plenty of Cracks for AC2 out there.

Looks like Ubi's OSP is Fail.

Wonder how long now til Ubi remove OSP from SH5.

Even if they do... I dont think I wnat SH5 now....
Wow ubi should be ashamed of the unfinished state of it.
Old 03-03-10, 07:22 AM   #1705
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Ridiculous isn't it! the game is full of bugs worse than SH4, no manuals, maps etc, on top of that you have to put up with OSP! and it costs more!!
Can't comment on bugs yet (installing), but I did get a manual.

Shame there's no map, but they had to save something for the special edition.

Oh, and I paid the same as for SH4.

Can't say I have any issues with OSP, but I definitely don't agree with the concept.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Old 03-03-10, 07:39 AM   #1706
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Can't say I have any issues with OSP, but I definitely don't agree with the concept.
If you were prepared to buy it then you clearly DON'T disagree with the concept to the extent it matters, or that you're prepared to take a stand on it.

Not wishing to sound like a hardarse on this, but those who buy it are tacitly approving of OSP, at least in Ubi's eyes, and that's really all that matters.
Old 03-03-10, 07:53 AM   #1707
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Can't comment on bugs yet (installing), but I did get a manual.

Shame there's no map, but they had to save something for the special edition.

Oh, and I paid the same as for SH4.

Seems most others had to pay $10 more than SH4 and only have a disk, manual in PDF format only! Different country I suppose!

Reece is online  
Old 03-03-10, 07:55 AM   #1708
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Yep, didn't take long, did it? "Working" cracks for AC2 are popping up everywhere now. Who'da thunk it?
Wow , I must be very ignorant as there are only 2 sites that I've ever gone to in order to fix my bought game issues in the past and there's still no mention of that stuff there so I'll have to take your word for it (not implying that I don't believe you either!). I actually thought it would take a little longer this time around for them to get around this but obviously I was wrong on that one too.

I'm not optimistic that Ubi will change their policy in any way though as I never believed pirating was their main reason for doing this. Time will tell if I"m wrong on that one, too.
Old 03-03-10, 07:58 AM   #1709
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
If you were prepared to buy it then you clearly DON'T disagree with the concept to the extent it matters, or that you're prepared to take a stand on it.

Not wishing to sound like a hardarse on this, but those who buy it are tacitly approving of OSP, at least in Ubi's eyes, and that's really all that matters.
Have to agree there. From Ubi's point of view, if you buy it obviously it doesn't matter enough to you what they have done. They count on this kind of behavior while they continually try to push the envelop to see just how much of their desires they can push on us. Man I'm sounding extra cynical today...
Old 03-03-10, 08:19 AM   #1710
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post

Can't say that I agree. I recognize it's unfair against people who don't have a (stable) connection, and that I certainly don't agree with.

However, it does not affect me personally, so there's really no reason, apart from taking a stance against it, to not buy it.

You don't have to agree with something to be a part of it.

Yes, I'm playing SH5, but at the same time I'm taking every oppurtunity I have to tell Ubi I don't agree with OSP... apart from not buying a game, I'll give you that.

Seriously, there are more ways to reason with someone than withholding food. (which in this case doesn't even work, they've got money to spare. At best it will lead to cancelation of SH)

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Closed Thread