SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-08, 05:07 AM   #16
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default Type AM submarine WIP

The problem with the type AM is double : on the color illustration it has a shorter Sen Toku type conning tower with room for 2 planes only and a hull similar to that of the Jyunsen B (only 17 feet longer) but wider at the top and on the combined fleet page, the tower is that of a Jyunsen B type, but with a longer/larger hangar upfront for the two planes, which one to mod??????

I made another : Sen Toku Hull resized a tad bigger than the Jyunsen B, Short type Sen Toku Tower :

side :

cavaliere :

3DS new function :
As well as being able to make an occlusion map, when the textures are applied to the sub you can ask via render to texture\completemap

choose the size, render and :

Last edited by keltos01; 06-11-08 at 05:27 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 07:03 AM   #17
Takao
Officer

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

You could ummm...do both, I-13 and I-9.

The Combined Fleet website is in error with their line drawing for I-13. Looks like they just reused the drawing from the I-9 class. That is how the I-13 was supposed to look, as sister subs to the I-9s. They were modified with the new hanger/tower as is show in the scan by a previous poster.

The I-9 conning tower would go well on your Jyunsen B hull, the dimensions were very close, IIRC width is almost a natch and the hull was only 17 feet longer. The I-14 hull was slightly longer than the Jyunsen B, but was a good 8 feet wider.

Your I-13 is coming along nicely.

P.S. Sorry I didn't post scans last night, lost power in some heavy thunderstorms.
Scanning now, will upload very soon.
Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 07:48 AM   #18
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default pictures/blueprints

Hi Takao,
do you have pictures or blueprints of the I9 tower ?

I'll try and finish off the I13 first then, or whichever is easier (modifying the tower of the Jyunsen B for instance )

Old 06-11-08, 08:08 AM   #19
Turbografx
Old Stormalong

Downloads: 104

Hi Keltos,

Is it me or is the Kaichu's deckgun not usable?

Thanks
Turbografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 08:28 AM   #20
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default gun

it should track enemy targets and fire at them. I have to install a m01 node for it to be usable I think. Will do that soon. actually I never tried the gun myself, I'm more of a torpedo guy

Old 06-11-08, 05:44 PM   #21
Turbografx
Old Stormalong

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
it should track enemy targets and fire at them. I have to install a m01 node for it to be usable I think. Will do that soon. actually I never tried the gun myself, I'm more of a torpedo guy
Same here but sometimes I like taking potshots at sampans for gunnery practice.
Turbografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 05:48 PM   #22
keltos01
Silent Hunter

I'll try and change it for you then !

Old 06-12-08, 09:56 AM   #23
Takao
Officer

OK. I posted the pics they are here. http://hosted.filefront.com/TakaoSH4/
Look in the I-19 folder. They are quite large, both in size and storage space. They are scanned at 600dpi, they first ones I did were at 1200dpi and were just too huge.
There are two scans of the same photo of I-14's conning tower, one I have tried to lighten up to get more detail, the original was just too dark. The next is of I-14 approaching I-400. Finally there are two line drawings of I-14, and one of I-9.

Sorry Keltos01, but the only picture I could find of I-9 was one taken from almost directly aft and is rather dark. There is reasonable detail of the aft hull, but the conning tower and forward section are lacking in detail.

Pics and drawing are taken from :
"Japanese Naval Vessels at the End of World War II" compiled by Shizuo Fukui
"Imperial Japanese Navy Submarines 1941-45" from Osprey Publishing
"Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945" by Hansgeorg Jentschura, Dieter Jung, and Peter Mickel.
Old 06-13-08, 04:23 AM   #24
keltos01
Silent Hunter

if they come from a book, know that books are printed at max 400 dpi resolution, so 1200 dpi scan is a bit much :rotfl:
downloading now

Old 06-13-08, 07:46 AM   #25
Takao
Officer

Yeah, I goofed the first time around. But to make up for it...I've found PLANS to I-14.
Now there is no scale for the plans just go by frame number. But, they are there: Top view, side view, and cross sectionals

I've uploaded them to my filefront page in folder USNTMJ or go to the webpage:
http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/USNAVY/USNTMJ%20Reports/USNTMJ_toc.htm
Ok the link still directs to the main page for the Fischer Tropsch Archive. The work around is this, just do a copy of the web address and paste it in the address bar of your web browser. Or goto the main page. Under the Primary Documents, click on Government Reports. From that page, click on U.S. Naval Technical Mission to Japan.

scroll down to SERIES S: SHIP AND RELATED TARGETS JM-200-G and do a "Save as" on
S-01-7 Charateristics of Japanese Naval Vessels- Article 7, Submarines

The plans can be found beginning on pg 45 of the document. There is also a grainy pic taken from the bow looking aft towards the island on pg 49.

It all began because every source I have mentions that the I-14 had a deck gun, but in the pictures I scanned, there is no sign of one. So I went back to the Fischer-Tropsch Archive website and started looking through the US Technical Mission to Japan documents to confirm the lack of a deck gun on I-14. Not only did I find confirmation that no deck gun was on I-14 when the Americans took it over, but I found the Deck Plans too!

Now the question is was a gun fitted and then removed or was one never mounted on I-14, but fitted to other submarines of the class?

Interesting....

*NOTE* I listed the parent site for the U.S. Naval Technical Mission to Japan. I have changed it to the direct link to their documents. Sorry for the error. Stupid frames.

Last edited by Takao; 06-13-08 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-13-08, 08:38 AM   #26
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default late war

subs had their deck gun removed so that they could mount kaitens on deck.
k

ps how did you find that site??? really interresting !

Old 06-13-08, 09:07 AM   #27
Takao
Officer

It was one of those sites that I stumble across while searching for information. Been bookmarked for some time now. I've cited it several times in this forum and others. Although I had forgotten all the information they had on the I-14, I used it in response to questions on the I-400.

I know that some Japanese subs had their guns removed to carry kaiten, but I have never heard of I-14 being converted or modified as a kaiten carrier. Maybe it was done as a space & weight reduction measure when the internal torpedo storage was reduced to carry extra aviation fuel and torpedoes for the I-14's aircraft. Mention has been made of bulges being fitted to increase reserve bouyancy and maintain freeboard. I think this is the most likely reason for the gun's removal.

I've tried to edit the link in my previous post, but it still directs to the main page. Please follow the intructions in red for a lot of other good reports about the Japanese Navy. Let me know if there are any problems.

Last edited by Takao; 06-13-08 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 07:47 AM   #28
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default 200 Downloads !

We crossed the 200 download mark for this mod
Thanks to all !!
Keltos

Ps I'm gonna work on the japanese subs soon, as soon as I figure out the 11th tubes or more, we'll need those for the C2 Class which has 2 aft and 6 forward since the german torpedo pannel allows only 6 tubes

moreover the animations need to be added for the torpedo doors on the bow... still can't get around that part yet

Last edited by keltos01; 06-27-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-29-08, 09:22 AM   #29
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default details of I14

Last edited by keltos01; 06-29-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 03:59 AM   #30
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default back on

Well, as they only have 6 tubes forward, this one should be easier, also I didn't want to mod the Sen Toku for now, cause for one Peabody's way ahead of me, even if it's a US sub (if you ever wanna get rid of those pontoons/stairs sailing with your boat just tell me where to download it and I'll remove them for you Peabody) so I started the next big thing : the new I 14 class, which has a short Sen Toku type tower with place for only two planes, a shorter hull (I scaled down the stock Sen Toku hull) and only six forward tubes.

here's the WIP :

the tower :

bow view :

The real one :

Section :

Last edited by keltos01; 06-30-08 at 04:47 AM.