SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-07, 11:37 PM   #1
eweber
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Photo Recon-Min Photo Value Threshold

Does anyone know what Min Photo Value Threshold in the photo recon objective means?

I'm making a set of Aleutian Campaign missions and have not been able to get the Photo Recon Objective completed no matter how many locked-on pics i take of enemy ships...

I guessing Min Photo Value Threshold is the min number of pics one has to take.

Peeked at the packaged "SM06 Photo Recon" mission which had it set to 0... hmmmm...

ew
Old 05-03-07, 01:19 PM   #2
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

it is how manay photographs you have to take in order to complete the objective, as far as I know. The Lifeguard duty objectives works in a similar way, EG: you can set a minimum that need to be rescued.

I've not had any problems getting it to fire. Setting it to zero though is a bit weird as I'm sure the game flags the objective as complete as soon as you reach your min number. I wonder why they did that? A typo perhaps.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 11:02 AM   #3
mcoca
Loader

This is speculation, but based on the "Photo Bismarck Sea" mission, I assume setting it means ships below that value don't count towards the objective. I.e. if the mission says "photograph enemy carrier group", you can't complete the mission by taking a hundred photos of sampans.
mcoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 02:21 PM   #4
Egan
Admiral

There is actually no reference in the objective structure to specific ships but if that is indeed how the Min threshold works then it makes sense. I think I might try a couple of test missions out over the next few days and get some nice emperical data: If you are on the right track there, Mcoca, I wonder whether '0' is a flag for merchants and '1' for warships ot whether it is further broken down. :hmm:

To be honest I just considered the wording of the briefing to be flavour only as it tends to be with other ob types.
Old 05-04-07, 04:23 PM   #5
mcoca
Loader

I'm taking the Bismark Sea mission in the campaign as a reference here. It has "Photo Value" of 60, and a "Min photo value threshold" of 50. So it's not just a binary flag of merchant/warship, and if it was a more specific type, I would expect it to follow the ship type codes.

I actually think that means you need a photos for a total value of 60 to complete the mission, and each photo needs to have at least a value of 50. I don't know what the number means, though. Maybe a function of the reknown gained for sinking a ship, or tonnage?
Old 05-04-07, 05:42 PM   #6
Egan
Admiral

After looking at the names.cfg I'm not sure it's the type it's looking for, warships are all very low numbers and merchents start at 100, so i don't think it's as simple as taking the type numbers. It's possible (probably likely,) that , as you say, it's working on renown or something similar. Could even be another variable in one of the ship files.
Old 05-05-07, 06:32 AM   #7
mcoca
Loader

I've tested my theory. I set up a mission with a variety of docked ships (one merchant, and one of each type of warship), and set a photo recon objective. I set the photo value at 60, and made two tests, taking photos starting with the merchant and working my way up from subchaser to battleship:
  • With min. threshold of 30: I could take photos of everything, but none was saved (i.e the picture was not available from the objective notebook) until I reached the heavy cruiser. Both the heavy cruiser and the carrier were saved to the notebook, and the mission was completed.
  • With min. threshold of 0: All photos were saved, and the objective was complete once I had photos of merchant, subhunter, destroyer and light cruiser.
I think this more or less proves my theory. Someone with more patience than I have can try and determine the formula for photo value. I suspect it's 10% of the renown awarded (the light cruiser had 235 and the heavy cruiser 500, so it makes sense).
Old 05-05-07, 09:51 PM   #8
eweber
Seaman

Thx everyone!

I also did some tests and it appears there's a values formula out there somewhere for ship types and worth. Looks like it's goning to be hit or miss for awhile...:hmm:

-ew