SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-16, 08:22 PM   #31
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
What are the 7 files that are different?

If JSGME had been developed longer, a needed improvement would have been to allow you to go directly to the "changed" file (NEW; DIFFERENT; REMOVED) to see them in a list, without needing to scroll through the 20,000 plus files that Silent Hunter has.

Other than that tweak. JSGME is an excellent program that has improved our modding community as much as S3D has.

Thank you Jaesen!
The seven files are in the video where I show how to sort the files by result and bring the anomalies to the top of the list.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-16, 08:42 PM   #32
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Tomorrow I run FOTRS Ultimate through the Large Address Aware JSGME Gauntlet of DEATH. Several times. I won't be making a video of that one.....
Awww ma-annn.... You know what'll happen if you ~don't~ video it? Something really ~strange~... If you tape it, it'll go smooth.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-16, 09:56 PM   #33
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 0
Default Murphy?.............

Murphy............Murphy?...............is Murphy's Law here?.........

Be interesting if the 7 anomalies of GFO are the same line anomalies listed in FOTRS ULTIMATE are a link to the SH 4 pristeen copy. Maybe like you said adding JSGME after large address aware will correct this issue.

GOOD LUCK with the mad scientist computing!!

There IS an answer out we have yet to stumble over, fall, trip, upon it!!

Fith
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 08:08 AM   #34
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
Murphy............Murphy?...............is Murphy's Law here?.........

Be interesting if the 7 anomalies of GFO are the same line anomalies listed in FOTRS ULTIMATE are a link to the SH 4 pristeen copy. Maybe like you said adding JSGME after large address aware will correct this issue.

GOOD LUCK with the mad scientist computing!!

There IS an answer out we have yet to stumble over, fall, trip, upon it!!

Fith
That was the interesting part. They were NOT the same. They were entirely different files. In FOTRSU it was ConteVerde and German flags. But GFO doesn't change any of that stuff. So those files were unaffected. In order for a file to be affected, JSGME has to replace that particular file with a mod file. Then JSGME must forget to change it back on the uninstall.

So in that respect it wasn't a fair test. I just wanted to find out if there was a lower limit to the size of a mod JSGME would have trouble with. And GFO wasn't small enough to find that limit. I was surprised by that.

Nobody tested more than Webster. He is the only supermodder ever to make an RSRDC mitigation patch to avoid being squashed like a cockroach when it was installed on top of GFO. I would have expected that he would encounter the problem. But if you weren't doing a compare and were just looking at game effects, with GFO the effects would be subtle. After all GFO is designed for an essentially unchanged game experience from stock. Anybody who thinks the stock game is crap needs to play GFO and find out how good it really is. GFO is a blast!

You have to remember than in 2010, when the golden era of SH4 modding died, 64-bit computers and operating systems existed, but nobody used them. 64-bit Windows didn't have drivers for enough hardware and if you were to be bold enough to use it you'd find your printer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, touchpad or any combination of those wouldn't be working. So everybody pretty much stuck with 32-bit Windows.
Old 12-18-16, 11:47 AM   #35
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
If you are running a 32-bit operating system, anything GFO size or bigger will not work for you. If you are running a 64-bit operating system the fix is in!
Are you telling us that you've tried the 32 bit LAA setup and it doesn't help. Or, are you just guessing?

You do realize that there's an additional "Switch" to throw for a 32 bit OS before LAA works??

You aren't making your procedures clear with your "test" results, if you've tested it at all.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 03:14 PM   #36
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

32-bit Windows can directly address only 3.2 GB of memory, period. Yes, you can make it seem like more by bank switching, but there's a lot of overhead to a bank switching scheme. The Large Address Aware module was specifically made for 64-bit Windows.

So maybe Large Address Aware could have minimal benefit for a 32-bit machine. Probably not, since it was designed for a 64-bit OS. In a week I'll have a 32-bit virtual machine to test it on, but there's a lot of time in setting that up, a disk drive to buy and install--just doesn't fit my priorities right now.

The question I'm asking later today is "Will Large Address Aware fix our Conte Verde and German Flags problems on my 64-bit machine? We'll address later the questions of whether FOTRSU is appropriate for a 32-bit OS and machine.
Old 12-18-16, 04:24 PM   #37
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

From my old days (pre-Win2k), if you had 4 gig of ram on your 32-bit OS machine, you could use one of those utilities, but you also had to change settings in the Boot.ini file for Win-2k or XP. You use BCDEdit in Vista, Win7 & 8. Thirty-two bit versions - not 64. I haven't a clue about 10... Both the program ~AND~ the OS have to be "aware", and still, some apps just don't like it and will crash.

Anyway, about the most concise site for that still is the AutoDesk Knowledgebase. I used to use that for video editing back when... Doing that on a machine with 2gig of RAM would be an exercise in futility and crash recovery.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 10:29 AM   #38
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree in thinking huge files make the reason why JSGME causes corruption in changing stock game files. Which moots the idea of testing JSGME with LAA and seeing if it does any better. I think you'll be wasting your time. It's nothing more than modders not following good modding techniques.

I just ran a little test. A 64Kb, JSGME compatible modification that only has two folders changed containing 6 total files. I copied the two FOTRS TLowRes/tex/German.dds-remove and German_m.dds-remove to my mod. I also copied from FOTRS..... TNormal/tex/German.dds-remove and German_m.dds-remove along with the new images it uses of the German flags (they contain the German Swastika)....German.dds and German_m.dds

I compared my present game files through JSGME "Compare Snapshot" to my original game files, all was in order. I ran the game with the test mod only. I viewed the newly changed German flags in the games Museum for the German ships, then exited the game. I deactivated the test mod, then ran the Compare feature again. The results were two files REMOVED. Yep, the two TNormal/tex/German.dds and its partner the German_m.dds were removed from the stock game.

I've had stools bigger than a 64Kb file!! Yet, this stock game corruption occurs with a very small file size.

But here's the interesting thing.....The two TLowRes/tex/German.dds files were intact and back where they belong after the "-remove" modification was used on them! What's the difference???

The difference is the FOTRS modder used replacement images in his mod of the same name that he also used the "-remove" flag for. There are no replacement images in the TLowRes/tex folder....there are in the TNormal/tex folder.

In this case, the modder simply needed to replace the original images with the Swastika images, using the same naming scheme as the stock game, and leave out the "-remove" files from the same folder. JSGME doesn't know what your trying to do if one pair of files make changes to the original, yet another pair ask for you to remove them?!?

Modder error, nothing more.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 12-19-16 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 12:28 PM   #39
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I'm finding the exact same thing. However, without LAA being applied to JSGME.exe, loading and unloading GFO always results in errors eventually. With LAA applied, GFO loads and unloads properly every time. So even GFO is over the threshold of how much memory unassisted JSGME can handle. Applying Large Address Aware fixes it.

Round 2 LAA plus JSGME vs Killer FOTRS Ultimate in a death match. Verify stock, then install and uininstall FOTRSU. The same seven files are changed. Inspection reveals that all 7 files use the -remove feature.

As you say, on the German flags the feature is used improperly as substitute files would take the place of the originals anyway. In the ConteVerde, that is not the case. So I removed all the -remove files for the seven files. Instantly, LAA plus JSGME installed and uninstalled all 3.6 GB of FOTRS Ultimate correctly every time. 4 times done, 4 times correct.

So we can explain away the German flags issue. That's just a stupid modder trick. But the ConteVerde stuff isn't so easily explained. I'll just leave the stock stuff untouched there, but changing in a new radar silhouette to get the position marker. All will be right in Denmark, even though absolute full understanding isn't achieved.

And yes, large size rendered JSGME unreliable for restoration of GFO. LAA fixed that instance. It had no effect at all in the reliability of FOTRSU. It isn't a DOS or Windows error. I don't use DOS or Windows. So something isn't quite right in the -remove handling of JSGME and we don't care what it is. We'll work around it.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-19-16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-19-16, 03:41 PM   #40
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
With LAA applied, GFO loads and unloads properly every time.
That's good to know...and to try LAA with the JSGME.exe to see how it works.

I know the creator of LAA, FordGT90Concept, is still on his Large Address Aware thread from time to time. He just added his newest LAA for Net Framework 4.5 (Windows 10 enabled) back in July. Between him or one of the other tech savvy experts on the TechPowerUP forum should be able to answer any questions we may have.

Quote:
Old 03-23-17, 05:27 AM   #41
andyson
Nub

Downloads: 0

Im only interested in linking the major "must have" mods, All the others can be found in the mods list link. The intent of this thread is to help those who are new find what they need most.

คาสิโน
andyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 05:42 AM   #42
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > andyson
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE << STEAM is not compatible with the essential application TDW’s Generic File Patcher
Steam Conversion Installation Instructions for SH5 Updated Version
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod > Includes Optional KSDCommander And Working Enigma M4 Machine
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 06:08 AM   #43
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim andyson

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 07:41 AM   #44
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyson View Post
Im only interested in linking the major "must have" mods, All the others can be found in the mods list link. The intent of this thread is to help those who are new find what they need most.

คาสิโน
There are no "must have" mods. All mods are strictly optional and in spite of its defects, Silent Hunter 4 stands as a fine program in its own right.

The intent of this thread is to explain JSGME and any programs, like Large Address Aware, that contribute to JSGME's ability to install mods, all of which are optional. You do not need any of them. If they are useful, you may want them and JSGME is the means by which you can enjoy them.
Old 02-12-22, 07:02 PM   #45
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755
Default JSGME error.

Has anyone ever had an error message that says that JSGME cannot write to its .ini file when enabling or disabling a mod. This has happened with any mod so I know its not a mod problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote