SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-10, 04:22 PM   #1
tony1161953
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
SH3 Windows7

Having just bought a new PC operating on Windows 7 I cannot get the GWX Gold expansion files to run. Is there a fix for this?
Tony
Old 08-20-10, 04:26 PM   #2
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

What do you mean?
They won't start the install process?
Or the Game won't run?
Old 08-20-10, 11:42 PM   #3
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724
Uploads: 0

Maybe does he need the well known "3gb patch" and the 3gb parameter in boot.ini file ?

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 11:57 PM   #4
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnahud2 View Post
Maybe does he need the well known "3gb patch" and the 3gb parameter in boot.ini file ?

Those are not well known. Why not put links ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 01:09 AM   #5
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

As I understood you only needed that fix if you're computer had > 3gb of ram installed? Probably 95% or more of Win7 users will have at least 4, some I know haven't run into any problems, and in my case my laptop currently only has 3gb and to spend another $80 bucks for a 2gb stick just so that Photoshop and Illustrator will run smoother isn't really worth the expense (right now at least).

There are multiple Win7 threads though none of them very organized, just strings of questions and answers. I believe one of them is stickied and there's a few other stragglers that might have the gem you're looking for.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 05:06 AM   #6
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
The 4GB patch can be found here

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

From the info.......

"This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory............
Why things are this way on x64 is easy to explain. On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (the other 2GB are reserved for the system). On x64 these two other GB can now be accessed by 32bit applications"

This patch only works for 64 bit for 32 bit OS's you'll need the /3GB switch, numerous examples of which can be found using google. Such as this.....

"1. In My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

2. Click the Edit button under System Startup to edit the BOOT.INI file.

3. Find the current boot entry, which typically looks like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

4. COPY this line and paste it at the end of the BOOT.INI file, and change it along these lines:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /fastdetect /3GB

This lets you choose between a conventional boot entry and the /3GB boot entry. If something goes wrong when you use /3GB, you can always boot back into the original configuration.

5. Save and close BOOT.INI.

6. Click OK to close the Startup and Recovery panel.

7. Click Settings again, and in the "Default operating systems:" dropdown, choose the newly created boot entry with the /3GB switch.

8. Click OK to close everything. Reboot into the new profile. "............

and another example

"Setting the /3GB Switch

In lay terms, Windows usually allocates 2 gigs of RAM to programs and 2 gigs to the system. With the switch it changes it to 3GB for programs and 1GB for other things.

This is how you do it.

a) Access the boot.ini file by opening the System Properties dialog on "My Computer". Under the Advanced tab and Startup and Recovery press Settings. In the startup and recovery dialog press the edit button. This should open a text file with something close to the following content:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

b) Were are going to modify it and make a failsafe so that if the mod doesn't work we can go back to the original setting:

Copy the last line and add /3GB to the end of it (make sure you spell it right). Between the parentheses type 3GB at the end so you'll be able to recognize it when XP restarts. Also if you don't have noexecute=optin add that too. The whole thing will look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition 3GB" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /3GB

c) Save the file and restart the machine. Now you will have 2 choices when booting. Pick the '3GB'. If it crashes or you experience any other problems go back to the first option. Later try adding the userva=2500 switch to the last line of boot.ini and save. Personally I didn't have to use it. This is how the last line would look:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition 3GB" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /3GB /userva=2500

Also check System Properties and make sure that under the General tab it say Physical Address Extension at the bottom. "

Both these options however will not help if you are getting a install refusal. I'm a Win7 64 bit 6GB RAM user myself and the 4GB really sorted things out for me, I'm not familiar with the /3GB switch for 32 bit and only included the examples to try help those with xp etc. Both examples are quoted from the Roland Cakewalk forums.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 05:17 AM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

@tony1161953:

We need a bit more information about HOW it goes wrong to help you.

My laptop has 4GB worth of RAM, of which 1GB is dedicated to video RAM. I don't know if that makes me part of the <3GB group, but I never had to need such a patch or tweak. For me installing it outside of the "Program Files"-folder, and making my graphicschip scale the screen to maintain aspect-ratio to 1024x768, worked for me. Not even compatibility settings, or turn of UAC. When installing and patching it does ask for administrator permissions, but that is normal with installing and happens only once. But let's see what Tony comes up with first.
Old 08-21-10, 10:18 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Is this patch still required if the system is W7 64bit 8GB RAM?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 10:24 AM   #9
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Is this patch still required if the system is W7 64bit 8GB RAM?
Hi Jim

You'll find the 4GB patch well worth the effort, especially if your going to use some of those heavy mods ! It was written specifically for 64 bit OS's.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Old 08-21-10, 10:35 AM   #10
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Compatibility

Does Win7 have the compatibility mode like Vista?

I haven't got 7 yet, but have found this mode very useful in Vista with older games.

You right-click the application shortcut and choose the compatibility mode tab. You can then indicate which version of Windows the app needs to run.

Next time you load, it runs fine if that was the issue causing problems.
Old 08-21-10, 11:02 AM   #11
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
Does Win7 have the compatibility mode like Vista?

I haven't got 7 yet, but have found this mode very useful in Vista with older games.

You right-click the application shortcut and choose the compatibility mode tab. You can then indicate which version of Windows the app needs to run.

Next time you load, it runs fine if that was the issue causing problems.
Sure does raymond.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Old 08-21-10, 11:06 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
Hi Jim

You'll find the 4GB patch well worth the effort, especially if your going to use some of those heavy mods ! It was written specifically for 64 bit OS's.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
So despite the fact said OS is 64bit with 8GB RAM the game only recognises 3GB + 1GB for the OS out of the 8GB installed?

Old 08-21-10, 11:22 AM   #13
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
So despite the fact said OS is 64bit with 8GB RAM the game only recognises 3GB + 1GB for the OS out of the 8GB installed?

Yes you will still have to used the 4Gb patch with large mods installed
To make the game run smooth and not crash
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 11:26 AM   #14
StarLion45
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
SIMPLE

Just follow these steps and you be good to go :

I've seen a lot of people having trouble with Win7 and Sh3
I had it too , StarForce , ProgramFiles ( if installed the Sh3 in this directory) and more .

I came over a post from Thaum and suddently my problems solved
And now my Sh3 runs like a charm , smooth , to be honest , I don't see any thing with the game , no problems at all . I have installed :

* Sh3 + patch 1.v4b
* GWX3.0 GOLD
* SH3Cmdr3.2
* the newest JSGME + several mods

Be sure to follow EXACTLY what's been written in the post .

My personal thanks goes to Thaum

Here it is :

" Ok, I've got it running through the following steps. Perhaps it might help anyone else with problems in windows7:

1. Remove sf from previous installation with the official removal tool.

2. Re-install sh3 but do not run it yet.

3. patch it to 1.4b (run as administrator otherwise it won't work)

4. My version of sh3 came with sf, so I ran the crack, as posted above in this thread.

5. Change the desktop resolution to 1024 x 768.

6. run sh3 without the Cd in the tray.

7. go to options and de-select full screen so it will run sh3 in its own window. Exit sh3

8. Change desktop back to my original resolution.

9. Install Grey Wolves.

sh3/grey wolves now runs but in its own small window which I have to squint at, but it's better than nothing.

The alternative is to change my desktop resolution to 1024 x768 everytime I want to run sh3/grey wolves in full screen mode.

Thanks everyone.

I should of course add that I do not advocate using cd cracks etc. I bought sh3 when it first came out and consider myself to be an honest customer. The above simply enables me to continue enjoying the sim, and I'll be queueing up to buy sh5 when it's released ".

Thaum

GOOD LUCK everyone
JSGME

StarLion45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 11:36 AM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf U-57 View Post
Yes you will still have to used the 4Gb patch with large mods installed
To make the game run smooth and not crash
Rgr that...cheers