Closed Thread

Old 06-23-19, 05:56 AM   #10291
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Looks like a put up job to me, a bit too convenient "concerned neighnours" calling police.
Precisely

Mind you, he is making it easy for his detractors.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-23-19, 05:58 AM   #10292
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
So it looks like 160,000 idiots will put a complete idiot in power god help us..latest odds from skybet

Boris the bufoon 1/6
Hunt the runt 7/2
More chance of FCB selling up and RAFA staying.

Old 06-23-19, 09:37 AM   #10293
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
More chance of FCB selling up and RAFA staying.
I take it that's a football reference? If it is, I can't stand "fitba" so it goes over my head.

Why is it, for a supposedly "communitarian/collective" country we Scot's generally suck at team sports.....

Back to politics:

Tory tensions over keeping the UK intact by Glenn Campbell, Chief political correspondent, BBC Scotland.

Quote:
Just how committed is the Conservative Party to keeping the UK together?
That might seem an odd question to ask of a party that is properly known as the Conservative and Unionist Party.
The clue is in the word Unionist, right?
Yes, but the party's commitment to leaving the European Union is in potential conflict with its commitment to keeping the UK union intact.
That's not always obvious when you listen to some leading Conservatives.
Usual noise from Sturgeon:

Hunt and Johnson 'out of touch' with Scotland.

Quote:
The Conservative party leadership race proves that Scotland is on a "different political path" to the rest of the UK, according to Scotland's first minister.
Jeremy Hunt and Boris Johnson are going head-to-head to become the next Tory leader and prime minister.
Both men say they are prepared to leave the European Union without a deal.
At the Royal Highland Show, Nicola Sturgeon told BBC Scotland both candidates were "out of touch" with mainstream opinion in Scotland.
Actually, they're out of touch with the whole of the UK, my dear, not just Scotland.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 06-23-19, 09:41 AM   #10294
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Football, UK Union and Out Of Touch.....all agreed as far as I'm concerned

Old 06-23-19, 09:55 AM   #10295
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Scotland, your bloody foreign neighbours on the continent have never understood it. From England's subduction of scottish 'tribes' (not that England was so much more advanced at that time, or the countries of Europe for that matter), to England actually destroying any effort of Scotland to improve as a nation, the deforestation for building the english fleets, letting hords of sheep grazing the now empty landscape keeping any effort to reforest down, the disappropriation of scottish land owners, the displacement of people from their ancestral ground and heritage by destroying their economical base.. "all in the best interest" of course.

A lot of Scots had to move to England, became traders e.g. with tea or such (certainly depending on the english market now, and supporting it), while the people who stayed tried to make a living in a kept-down economy, some by smuggling, constantly under pressure by english customs and military. True until 1900 anyway.
Something of a simplification, Catfish.

The core is quite true, but what many seem either to ignore or simply don't know is that Scotland's own social elite has to bear a great deal, if not most, of the blame. The majority of the rapaciousness inflicted on Scotland's population was for the most part carried out by that part of society. When you look back, it's pretty obvious that the wealthy did very well out of the Union and the Empire. The poor, who made up the majority of the Scottish population at that time (the Upper and Middle classes were tiny in comparison with England) rather less so.

To give an example, Scottish engineering firms, particularly those engaged in building railway equipment, always submitted lower bids for contracts than their English competitors. They could do this as they simply didn't pay their "company servants" (to use the terminology of the time) as much as the firms in England did for the same work. Hence you had so much economic migration from Scotland to England.

If the English ruling elites can be blamed for anything, it's simply not paying closer attention to the ticking time bomb that their Scottish allies were inadvertantly priming.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 06-23-19, 10:02 AM   #10296
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson’s poll ratings have suffered a major slump following the loud altercation with his girlfriend, as voters say his private life does matter in the race for No 10.

The favourite’s lead among Conservative voters has more than halved since the incident on Thursday night – and rival Jeremy Hunt has snatched the lead among the wider public.

But the survey, for The Mail on Sunday, found that Mr Johnson's lead among Tory voters as the man who would make the best prime minister has more than halved, from a 27-point lead to just 11.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/polit...id=mailsignout
I reckon we're going to witness a lot more up and down movements as the campaign progresses.

Old 06-24-19, 09:23 AM   #10297
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Former deputy prime minister and Labour veteran John Prescott has been admitted to hospital after suffering a stroke, his family has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48745868
A bit of a feisty character at times but someone who always gave me the impression during our conversations that he believed in what he said.

Speedy recovery John.

Old 06-24-19, 09:27 AM   #10298
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Sky News has said it will be forced to cancel a debate between the two men vying to be the next Tory leader unless Boris Johnson agrees to take part.

The broadcaster hoped to be the first to stage a head-to-head debate between Mr Johnson and his rival Jeremy Hunt.

But it said Mr Johnson had "so far declined" its invitation and the event would not go ahead without him.

Mr Hunt said it was "incredibly disappointing" and risked "cheating" the country out of a "proper contest".

He said the next prime minister would not have the popular mandate to take difficult decisions on Brexit and other issues if they were not prepared to face scrutiny now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48744724
If the clown isn't careful his whole campaign could implode on him.

Old 06-25-19, 07:10 AM   #10299
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

What is all this bloody hoo-ha over a picture of bojo? Who gives a toss for crying out loud has the news media gone mad in this country. In the name of sanity who gives a bloody toss, I'm more interested in how he plans to run the country not some bloody picture of bojo and his bird sitting outside around a table who gives a...........

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-25-19, 07:18 AM   #10300
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson has admitted he would need EU co-operation to avoid a hard Irish border or crippling tariffs on trade in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC, the favourite to be the next PM said: "It's not just up to us."

But he said he did "not believe for a moment" the UK would leave without a deal, although he was willing to do so.

Asked about a row he'd had with his partner, he said it was "simply unfair" to involve "loved ones" in the debate.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48751527
First remnants of something sensible from him thus far.

Old 06-25-19, 09:52 AM   #10301
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

It would appear the charm offensive has finally started.

Quote:
Boris Johnson has responded to criticism of his Tory leadership campaign by undertaking a succession of media and public appearances.

The favourite to succeed Theresa May as prime minister told Talk Radio Brexit would happen on 31 October "do or die".

In an apparent change of strategy following attacks from his rival Jeremy Hunt, Mr Johnson met members of the public in a walkabout in Surrey.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...eporting-story
I should imagine his staff have him on a well scripted tight leash.

Old 06-26-19, 05:10 AM   #10302
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Not tight enough apparently

Quote:
Speaking on Talk Radio on Tuesday, the frontrunner to replace Theresa May was asked by the interviewer, Ross Kempsell, what he did to relax.

Johnson replied: “I like to paint. Or I make things. I have a thing where I make models of buses. What I make is, I get old, I don’t know, wooden crates, and I paint them. It’s a box that’s been used to contain two wine bottles, right, and it will have a dividing thing. And I turn it into a bus.

“So I put passengers – I paint the passengers enjoying themselves on a wonderful bus – low carbon, of the kind that we brought to the streets of London, reducing C02, reducing nitrous oxide, reducing pollution.”
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout

Old 06-27-19, 04:37 AM   #10303
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Bloody disgrace but what do you expect from a raging anti-semite steptoe allowing one of his mob back in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48778129

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-27-19, 06:15 AM   #10304
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Hardly surprising when you take into consideration the fact he is a personal friend and supporter of Steptoe.

Old 06-27-19, 09:25 AM   #10305
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Ninety Labour MPs and peers have criticised the decision to readmit MP Chris Williamson back into the party.

They expressed "hurt and anger" at the ruling and said Jeremy Corbyn must withdraw the party whip.

The Derby North MP was suspended after saying Labour had "given too much ground" in the face of criticism over anti-Semitism in the party.

Eleven frontbenchers, including deputy leader Tom Watson, are among those criticising the ruling.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48790803
I doubt Steptoe will even bat an eyelid.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics