SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-08, 04:53 PM   #631
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
I hardly have time to play SH4, let alone SH3, but that's really a shame with such a sexy, fun looking mod. I keep visiting this thread just for the excitement of any new progress made Nice work everyone involved :p
Then You should like this.

Old 02-28-08, 06:30 PM   #632
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

Wowaweewa, Nieece! High five!

BTW: Has Gorby shown you his new developments, and will it be hard to transfer this over?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:58 PM   #633
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
I hardly have time to play SH4, let alone SH3, but that's really a shame with such a sexy, fun looking mod. I keep visiting this thread just for the excitement of any new progress made Nice work everyone involved :p
Then You should like this.

Looks awesome, I actually pissed my pants because of the sound of the water and then crapped my pants because of the torp being fired in my face. But looking at the torpedo doors made it all worth it! :rotfl::rotfl:
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 03:47 AM   #634
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl

@CCIP & Boris : since S3D works for both SH3 & 4 I guess that yes the s-boot could be more or less easily ported to SH4. The main problem I can see right now is that I don't have SH4
Since I never even tryed it, what do you think would be really better if you could play the mod in SH4 ? (It's a real question)

Now about the mod, I've just downloaded Skwasjer new version of S3D and at first look it really rocks, I'm gonna add a third rudder and a third propeller (all working) right away
Maybe that's a question we should put to the community, but personally I see it as the way forward. The SH3 engine, although it still looks quite nice, is pretty outdated, and much nicer effects are available in SH4. A major issue is the ability to change screen resolutions and support for widescreen monitors, not to mention the transparent water, much further view distances and hugely improved load times.

However, it's no picnic. It's not just about porting over the S-Boot model... The SH4 GUI will need updating, there need to be new ports created in the Channel for the S-boat, a whole range of new shipping will also have to be ported or created from scratch, planes need to be ported or done from scratch, a whole campaign needs to be scripted (but which would only need to be the Englisch channel for starters). Of course permissions need to be gathered from various modders which might cause problems, etc.

Even if it's a big task, I think it should be done sooner or later, and like I said, because the S-Boot has only a small area of operations, it might be a nice place to start. Other modders (the atlantic sharks) are already working on a U-boat port to SH4, so it might be useful to see how far they've gotten. A major issue would also be getting the GWX team on side, as most of the vast content and innovations SH3 really has these days, comes from them... and I know they aren't ready for the move to SH4 just yet.

Other than that, good news on the screws! I was going to ask about that, but it seems you already on top of it.
Good post, I agree with that!

There's some real potential good features in SHIV aside from the graphics that could make it cool. The campaign engine is a bit more sophisticated. The new add-on, potentially, lets you have some control over other units. Those could, potentially, be used to enhance the current features.

But as Boris says, let's finish the job here first! Awesome new model.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 05:18 AM   #635
Boris
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Wowaweewa, Nieece! High five!

BTW: Has Gorby shown you his new developments, and will it be hard to transfer this over?
I guess it won't be too hard, some copy/pasting/deleting/merging with 3dsmax should do the trick :hmm:

BTW here's some pics of the other wip stuff :

Still a big lot of things to reposition/add/fix but it's on the way
Wow, that's quite a difference in shape! Just shows how extremely wrong the original model was. The screws are looking fine!
Old 02-29-08, 05:36 AM   #636
Wolf359
Navy Dude

Downloads: 3

Mikhayl you made REALLY GREAT JOB, these pictures look fantastic!.

Do you can make something similar for the bigger surface ships such as destroyers, cruisers etc.? Today I got one crazy idea for transforming SH3 into surface ships naval combat simulator.

You can read more about this my idea at this link: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131914

I was looking forward on your work on S-boat mod.
DOWNLOAD:
http://igm.elementfx.com/igm_download_links.htm

GWX Expansion mod link: http://thegreywolves.com/
Wolf359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 08:34 AM   #637
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Default ARRGGGG shiver me timers tats a fine looking S-boat

wow what a difference! Mikhaly

Just proves that that all types German torpedo boats are possible!! I am just glad the s-100 is first (My favorite)
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 09:09 AM   #638
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Mikhayl, that new S-boat model looks stunning! Fantastic job! That is such a huge difference compared to the original model.

Those new torpedo doors look awesome! I like how they take longer to load.

I am eagerly awaiting an updated version. This mod keeps getting better everyday. I constantly check this forum to see if this thread has any updates.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 09:19 AM   #639
Boris
Sea Lord

Quote:
I'm glad you like it Sea Tiger, by the way I thought about your (now) old request about the lookouts :

I'm not sure if it will look good with a guy up there because of the character animation that will make him move through the railings, but anyway the plateform is here (it will show on the left side of the deck in game, deepX reverses the model)

Now about the model, actually I didn't create a single new vertex, just reshaped the existing model, deleted some irrelevant parts, duplicated some others to reshape and re-use them elsewhere, etc. For example, see the ladder steps : I took the big wooden deck part, resized & duplicated it and voila. About everything is done in the same way
Wow, the detail is amazing! If you can do that... then I guess you can also make the Rettungsring and bars on the bridge texture, physical objects

Truly awesome mate
Old 02-29-08, 02:10 PM   #640
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Default to Mikhely, look out issue

On mine I had the same issue,, bouncing through the rails.
I learned that the way they held their position was to be knees bent slightly and leaned harn into the forerail. Lookouts were manned this position at all times, running or fighting. Usually only one person.
I took a person model, (lookout), and just made the knees bent a bit, added it directly to the boat model, I.e. part of the boat. You already know how to add the new texture.
At speed you will see it blends quite nice and is not noticable that he is not moving like the rest.

Just a thought,

But darn that boat looks great the way you have her.
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 05:47 PM   #641
sandbag69
Medic

Downloads: 70

Can't wait for the next installment.

Brilliant work!

Would love a playable even drivable Narvik Class (type 36) destroyer in future but am well happy with the S-Boot. Its given new life to SH3 for me.
sandbag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 08:45 PM   #642
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Just today I found out that the S-boot mod existed and surely I had to give it a try.....it is truly wonderful!

Thanks Mikhayl; I love it......
Old 03-01-08, 11:52 PM   #643
AdlerGrosmann
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

On the quickfix Sboot mod, I had it enabled with JSGME, and I tried to play a single mission on SH3 1.4b (so it would be faster loading and I get some good screenshots) and it loaded all the way to the end of the line, and it never opened up. I went back to desktop and saw a little pop up "Cannot control torpedo tubes" or something like that.
Old 03-02-08, 06:11 AM   #644
Boris
Sea Lord

Nice, exactly what I had in mind

The new model is looking b-e-a-utiful!
Old 03-02-08, 06:14 AM   #645
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47

i cant realy see the difference between the 2... mayby becouse both are taken from different angel ? or its just my eye's that are getting bad

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote