SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-18, 05:47 AM   #1786
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

TOON went down 0-1 to Spurs last night making it four defeats in a row, depite creating numerous goal scoring chances and lacking a quality striker in the team.

Just as well they are safely positioned now.

I doubt Ashley will give Rafa the funds he needs and even more worrying is the fact he has added £100 million to the asking price (now £400 million) for the sale of the club.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 05:47 PM   #1787
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

TOON won against Chelsea 3-0

This was not what I had expected at all.
Maybe it had something to do with the facts they are safe and could therefore play relaxed.

And they ended on 10th place which is fully approved

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 10:57 AM   #1788
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Maybe it had something to do with the facts they are safe and could therefore play relaxed.
They were safe before the previous for games Markus and they were all defeats.

I'll certainly take the positives out of the win though and hope Ashley sells or gives Rafa sufficient transfer funds to encourage him to stay.

Old 05-14-18, 07:36 PM   #1789
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Time once again for Threadfin's annual Premier League Review (previous installments may have gone unpublished)

Hats off to City. I may not care for them and their oil-soaked ways. But a record points haul means they are far and away the class of the division. They played the best football, and after October, it was never in doubt. Did anyone really think United could catch them?

United. 2nd is a fantastic achievement, especially considering they seem to play such uninspired football. But numbers matter, pictures do not. So well done to them, and I hope they struggle to 8th next season.

Spurs. Good season, but you are left feeling they've gone back a step. I feel like this was their apogee, and I sense an implosion. And I lost all respect I had for Harry Kane over the claimed goal he was awarded. He never touched that ball. And even if he did, who does that and takes it away from a teammate? I'd say I also lost respect for the FA for actually awarding this phantom goal to Kane, but I didn't have any to lose.

Liverpool. I mean come on! What a fantastic season. Yeah, their defense was horrible most of the season, and they've work to do. But man are they exciting going forward. They buttoned it up some after VVD's arrival, and they are in the freakin' Champion's League Final. I mean, pinch me. I don't know if they will win or lose in Kiev, and I give them a chance, but it's the best season the Reds have had in like forever, and to do it playing such thrilling football was just fantastic. Another top center back and a world-class keeper and I think this Liverpool side are pushing for a title. Sue me.

Chelsea. Aww, you almost had it. Nice knowing you Conte.

Arsenal. Yeah, I don't care either. But are they about to pull a Leeds?

Burnley. Wut? Burnley are in Europe. Wut?

Everton finished 8th? How is that even possible? Surely they played like a 14th placed side. But yeah, I looked and they're 8th. Shocking. Big Sam is going to put this on the cover sheet of his resume when he's showing it around come July.

Leicester. No one thought they'd repeat their title. But since then, they've been Everton. Disappointing. And Vardy is what, 34 now?

TOOOOON. OK, this thread has been like the Toon news ticker. Get all your updates here. The thread should be renamed "The Toon Football Thread". But I get it. I'm happy to see they stayed up, and 10th at that. Well done. Rafa Benitez is by far Newcastle's best asset. If Toon could somehow be rid of Ashley, AND keep Rafa, you'll be on your way.

Palace. Uncle Woy. OK, so I got this wrong and had to eat my eye patch. Still can't believe it, but if anyone needs any more proof that Pardew is a terrible manager, then here it is.

Bournemouth. You know, I seem to have a soft spot for this side. They just continue to overachieve. It all looked like the fairy tale would end in September, but they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and survived comfortably. Eddie Howe is probably the best English manager at the moment. They continue to defy the odds, and long may it continue.

I'm no fan of David Moyes. I was when he was with the Toffees, but since then he has just struck me as past it. But West Ham stay up, and looked better after he arrived. He clearly had a positive effect on Arnautovic who looked a different player. Another season in the PL at least, but I sense boardroom turmoil next season.

Watford. Were they in the PL this year? hardly noticed.

Brighton, Huddersfield and Southampton. These sides should all thank their lucky stars they will be drinking from the top-flight fountain and it's oodles of cash for at least one more year. The first two, yeah, but Southampton? It all looked so promising 3 years ago. But then they sold everyone, twice and now look at 'em. Well, they'll start level on points for first anyway.

Swansea. (See Southampton, one year on) Bah. Three seasons ago this club were lauded as the way to run a mid-level team. Attractive football, plucky results, profit, promise. That's all gone to **** now hasn't it?

Stoke City. Oh, where's Tony Pulis when you actually need him?

West Brom. I also seem to have some sort of affinity with West Midlands clubs, not sure why. I'm betting on a bounce up for them next year. I think they have the right manager now, if only it had come a few months earlier.

And that's the season in review. Tune in next year in case I remember to do it again
Old 05-15-18, 08:23 AM   #1790
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez is set to make goalkeeper Martin Dubravka his first signing of the summer.

The Slovakia international has made a big impact on Tyneside since joining from Sparta Prague on loan in January, making the No 1 spot his own.

Dubravka has a clause in his contract that gives Newcastle the option to buy him permanently for £4m once the transfer window opens.

A real bargain

Old 05-16-18, 08:05 AM   #1791
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Allardyce Sacked

Moyes not renewed, West Ham on the search

Buffon to announce retirement

Newcastle boot room gets new carpet
Old 05-16-18, 08:20 AM   #1792
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Can't say I'm impressed, we'll probably end up looking like Celtic in the Champions League.

Old 06-05-18, 05:15 AM   #1793
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Well, Dubravka signed over a week ago but there is still no news on whether Rafa is signing an extended contract and as per usual, Ashley has operformed his annual vanishing act at the most important time of the year, the beginning of the transfer window

Old 06-13-18, 06:50 AM   #1794
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Not British but the 2026 World Cup will be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico after their joint bid beat Morocco's proposal to host it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44464913

Old 07-31-18, 08:35 AM   #1795
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The boy was in Juneau, Alaska yesterday and who should he bump into?

Old 08-02-18, 08:50 AM   #1796
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yoshinori Muto: Newcastle confirm signing of Japan striker from Mainz

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44966501

Old 08-10-18, 06:03 AM   #1797
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

So now we know where all of the profits generated by the club have gone and it certainly wasn't given to Rafa despite assurances from the 'pantomime villain' that they would

Quote:
Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has agreed to buy the House of Fraser department store chain for £90m.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45140874

Old 08-18-18, 09:26 AM   #1798
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

TOON draw 0-0 away to Cardiff and miss a penalty in the sixth minute of injury time.

Possibly the most inept performance I've seen from the entire team for many a season.

God help us if this is a taste of things to come!!

Old 08-18-18, 02:55 PM   #1799
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Leeds however has a spectacular start. Three wins.

Mostly same team as last season and reinforcements can be bought. Altough few summer signings would have been nice. Let's hope Bielsa is the man who leads Leeds to promotion.

Last season was horrible. First half very good but second half made me change 100% to SM-liiga hockey playoffs...
Old 08-20-18, 11:21 AM   #1800
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Ha! Manutd got it's butt kicked at Brighton...

Tags
british football